Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2015.12.29, 12:57 AM   #1
Ancient Artist

PN MR02/03 98-102mm V4 LCG Motor Mount

Can I get some info on which damper post should be used with this motor pod when using the center shock (alone or with TDS setup)?
It doesn't come with one like the V3 nor does it show one in the set up diagram.

I've seen a few racers at our track having trouble getting the center shock parallel with the pod, and now that I picked up one I'm having a similar issue.

In my case I have both damper posts and ended up using the longer (flanged) version in order to get more length and still used some shims and a longer screw, and it was still causing the shock to be on an angle and bind a little.
At one point I ditched the shock all together as it didn't feel right and ran the damper which still felt like the pod was too low.
I'm using it on the new PN 2.5 chassis but a few other guys were using it with the stock chassis so I think we're doing something incorrect somewhere.
Any insight would be great...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3800.jpg (474.7 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3801-1.jpg (486.1 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3807.jpg (457.6 KB, 48 views)

Last edited by Ancient Artist; 2015.12.29 at 01:41 AM. Reason: added images
Ancient Artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.12.29, 07:15 AM   #2
briankstan

what I have done is used a longer screw on the bottom and then used the shims to get the spacing up/down that you want. You end up shimming it up a bit to get it level, I haven't had any issues with doing it this way though.

based on the pictures you posted, it just looks like if you aren't running the top shock spacer you need to make sure the holes in the damper plate fit around the posts to sit flat. then you should bee good. if you are running the top shock then you need to shim the post up to level it.

Last edited by briankstan; 2015.12.29 at 07:18 AM.
briankstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.12.30, 11:10 PM   #3
Ancient Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by briankstan View Post
what I have done is used a longer screw on the bottom and then used the shims to get the spacing up/down that you want. You end up shimming it up a bit to get it level, I haven't had any issues with doing it this way though.

based on the pictures you posted, it just looks like if you aren't running the top shock spacer you need to make sure the holes in the damper plate fit around the posts to sit flat. then you should bee good. if you are running the top shock then you need to shim the post up to level it.
I appreciate the insight. I was trying it a few ways (with/without the shock) because I wasn't comfortable trying to use the shock when I couldn't get it completely level.
I did some digging in my msc r/c tool box and luckily found a brass collar/spacer that actually fit to the height and diameter I needed.
I'm amazed at how much of a variance there is needed though to get the shock level, and without the spacer would have needed a ton of washers. (see image attached)
Really scratching my head that I'm missing something in the set-up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3857-1 copy.jpg (225.9 KB, 49 views)

Last edited by Ancient Artist; 2015.12.30 at 11:20 PM.
Ancient Artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.12.31, 08:48 AM   #4
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
maybe the V4 is that much lower overall than previous versions. otherwise, seems like a flaw in the kit components for the alignment to be off that much and no spacer provided to achieve proper alignment.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.12.31, 05:49 PM   #5
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

I have 2 of these motor pods and the soever height seems about right compared to mine. I think the pn chassis has changed the top height of the chassis/damper area.

That being said I've never had much success with 2 damper discs and a Tri shock setup...just an FYI if you find it too understeery try just one disc.

my custom body album...
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/album.php?albumid=192
cowboysir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.01.02, 11:40 PM   #6
Ancient Artist

I'm hoping it's not a design flaw but it did cross my mind. I'm using this on the new PN Chassis but I know some others that are using the standard MR-03 chassis with the same issue.
keeping my fingers crossed the PN Team will hop on tell me I'm setting it up wrong provide some direction on the proper set-up and parts to do so.
Old 2016.01.03, 07:41 AM   #7
Rune
Mini-Z Norway

These days many people are running with DPS only and 1 disc on top.

With the use of top damper you have to adjust the height of the post with shims to get it level. Both on PN and Kyosho chassis.

You also adjust the dampening characteristics in the rear with springs, fluid and preload of the springs, so basically it is better to have room for shims than needing to shorten the post to get adjustment possibilites.

Around here almost everyody use a spacer between the disc top plate and the chassis to get it higher and lengthen the post even more to get the feel they want.

Mini-Z Norway
Rune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.01.04, 03:45 PM   #8
Racer-HH

What is the difference in handling when placing the single DPS on top instead of below the plate?
Old 2016.01.04, 05:25 PM   #9
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

I use the disc on the top with a spring and can adjust the damper feel by tightening/loosening the screw to the top shock and post...if its on the bottom theres no adjustability other than swapping springs

my custom body album...
Old 2016.01.04, 07:12 PM   #10
Gixer1K

Hey guys and ladies. When you say DPS, what's that stand for?

I'm trying to catch up after a 10 year break from Mini-Z's.
Old 2016.01.04, 07:34 PM   #11
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

I think it's damper plate system. A plate between two greased disks pressured by springs to smooth the bounce of carbon t plates.

my custom body album...
Old 2016.01.05, 04:03 AM   #12
Racer-HH

Thanks for the explanation. Does anyone by chance have a picture of this? My fantasy is somewhat limited how the spring preload can be varied when it is on top. Or is it simply more spacers added to the mount to reduce spring preload? Which spacers will do be ideal for this?
Old 2016.01.07, 03:04 PM   #13
Rune
Mini-Z Norway

You can use any m2 shims under the post really.
I use the countersunk washers and the regular color shims.

As for preloading the spring from the top it is harder to find suited shims since they need to be very small outer diameter to clear the spring.

One or two discs, and running only upper or lower is up to the driver. It gives a different feel.
For me using two discs gives me a overdampened rear end and it looses the agility I need.

Using top or rear disc is not much different. If you use the bottom disc you controll the rear chassis ride height with it and the car tends to stay flatter on accelleration.
If you use top only, the rear of the chassis will tend to sag easier and it gives you another feeling to the car.

Mini-Z Norway
Rune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.01.08, 03:01 AM   #14
Racer-HH

Thanks for explaining! Can I kindly ask you to share some pics of your setup with the rear damper?