Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts

Go Back   Mini-ZRacer.com Forums > Manufacturers > Flip Side

Old 2010.07.03, 01:14 PM   #16
fredchia

Hi Guys,

Thank you so much for all the help.....

We guys at Atomic Collective Singapore really appreciate it.

The core software worked flawless irregardless of whichever computer we use or any of the USB cables we have 5m/1.5m/3m.

Just not the flipside software. We have also updated the driver to the lastest version and Windows XP have also been updated to the lastest service pack.

All computers we have tried running on are at least 1.6GHZ pentium with 1GB ram.

I guess I might have a broken core hardware.

I have tried writing to core for help but there was no reply.

fredchia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.07.03, 05:01 PM   #17
briankstan

We have also had a few issued of the timer stopping to pick up laps, when it does it it just stops counting for everyone. this was with version .45 I'v removed all other copies of flipside and reinstalled the .46 version. I hope this solved the issue because we have our 1 hours endurance races coming up next week.

a few thinks that I've noted.

if I have to stop a race by using the stop button. I have had to restart the software in order to get it to start counting. I would occasionally have to restart my laptop.

also I will sometimes count the start of the race with the beeps and be very delayed. we always have issues when it does that and have to restart the laptop.

hopefully with a fresh install all will be well.
Old 2010.07.04, 11:30 AM   #18
fredchia

Pictures Of Our Core

HI All,

I took our core apart and took pictures of it.

Kindly assist.

regards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg core-1.jpg (355.2 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg core-2.jpg (322.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg core-3.jpg (377.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg core-4.jpg (430.8 KB, 11 views)
fredchia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.07.06, 10:59 AM   #19
pinwc4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredchia View Post
HI All,

I took our core apart and took pictures of it.

Kindly assist.

regards
Thank you for taking these pictures, this is actually really helpful for me.

If your hardware is working with Core software then I doubt it is broken. But these pictures you provided show something very interesting though, I would not have thought to ask to look at the insides as I expected them to all be very similar. Every Core lap counter I have seen has had the TI S6350 RFID module inside with a second PCB that holds the antenna and USB circuit. Your Core lap counter has 3 PCB's and does not use the TI S6350 RFID module at all. I am surprised that it works, the RFID module obviously uses a very similar communication protocol to the TI module.

I am going to need to do some research about this RFID module. One thing that is interesting to me is that this module is a 200mW module while the TI module is 120mW which means you have a somewhat stronger antenna assuming the tuning is done well.

I have been looking through the software to try to figure out what the problem could be and I wonder if I need to slow down communication slightly. If I remember correctly the Core software was communicating every 11-12 ms with the lap counter where I am trying to do it every 10 ms.

One thing that would be useful for me in this case since you have a different Core lap counter is if we could capture some of the communication to and from the lap counter. Use the following steps to log the communication:
  1. Download Portmon from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb896644.aspx
  2. While the lap counter software is NOT RUNNING start the Portman application
  3. In Portmon go to the Computer Menu and select Connect Local
  4. Under the Capture Menu go to Ports and then Select all the COM ports available
  5. Under the Options Menu make sure the Show Time, Show Hex and Clock Time options are selected
  6. Now run the lap counting application and run a short 1 minute race preferably with 2 cars though if it is just 1 person switching between cars that is fine
  7. After the race is complete close the application
  8. Go to the Portmon applcation and go to the File Menu and save the log file
  9. Send me the log file
pinwc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.07.06, 11:20 AM   #20
pinwc4

Quote:
Originally Posted by briankstan View Post
We have also had a few issued of the timer stopping to pick up laps, when it does it it just stops counting for everyone. this was with version .45 I'v removed all other copies of flipside and reinstalled the .46 version. I hope this solved the issue because we have our 1 hours endurance races coming up next week.

a few thinks that I've noted.

if I have to stop a race by using the stop button. I have had to restart the software in order to get it to start counting. I would occasionally have to restart my laptop.

also I will sometimes count the start of the race with the beeps and be very delayed. we always have issues when it does that and have to restart the laptop.

hopefully with a fresh install all will be well.
Brian, I did not realize you were having this much trouble. Your stop button but has me especially baffled as clicking the Stop button calls a function called EndTheRace, and if the timer runs out the program calls the same function EndTheRace. There should be 0 difference between manually stopping a race and it automatically stopping. I will dig around some more to see if I can find some other dependency in stopping that would lead to a different behavior.

As for delayed beeps when this occurs have you had a chance to look in the Windows task manager and see if fsracewin.exe is taking up all the CPU or if there is something else. Since a reboot clears it looking in task manager before rebooting would be useful.

Is there anything else you noticed that would help me troubleshoot this?
Old 2010.07.06, 08:59 PM   #21
ACT
Atomic Collective

Atomic collective Singapore

Sure do.

We will run the test and send you the log file asap.

I really hope to be able to run the Flipside software at our club.

Regards
Old 2010.07.12, 06:10 PM   #22
pinwc4

For the brave and technically inclined I have a new EXE and libraries you can try out. Using the following ZIP file overwrite the existing EXE and libraries:

http://www.flipsideracing.org/downlo...in-exe-693.zip

The Atomic Collective group has been running this for a few days and it appears to have resolved there hardware issue.

With this version I changed the polling frequency to the Core Speedway lap counter to 20ms as an experiment. This version also has the ability to change when best lap announcements occur and a few other minor tweaks.

As usual back up your files. This will report as being version 0.47. One I finalize the code the official release will be 0.48.

If anyone tries out this test build please report the results to me whether it works fine or not.
Old 2010.07.15, 08:27 AM   #23
briankstan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinwc4 View Post
Brian, I did not realize you were having this much trouble. Your stop button but has me especially baffled as clicking the Stop button calls a function called EndTheRace, and if the timer runs out the program calls the same function EndTheRace. There should be 0 difference between manually stopping a race and it automatically stopping. I will dig around some more to see if I can find some other dependency in stopping that would lead to a different behavior.

As for delayed beeps when this occurs have you had a chance to look in the Windows task manager and see if fsracewin.exe is taking up all the CPU or if there is something else. Since a reboot clears it looking in task manager before rebooting would be useful.

Is there anything else you noticed that would help me troubleshoot this?
I just wanted to post an update to my timing issues. After I removed all version of the software from my laptop (I had a few of the older version still on there). I installed a fresh version of the latest version (.46) using the window installer.

When we got the track setup I started up the software and ran it for about an hour before we started our races. I wanted to make sure is was working and picking up everyone's cars so we ran the timer during the tune session. Everything was working well, it was picking up all the car, and didn't miss a lap.

I'm happy to say that we ran two 1 hour races with everyone on the track at the same time. Each driver has well over 250 laps and no one missed a lap in either race.

thanks for the great software
Old 2010.07.18, 05:46 PM   #24
pinwc4

Thanks for the update Brian, glad to hear that it worked fine.

Running during your practice/tuning time is a great way to test the software. You can set the software to Free Play mode during those times and the software will add and remove racers from the "race" while that mode is active.
Old 2010.09.13, 03:54 PM   #25
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
we have recently been experiencing some issues with this version in use with the copper loop core unit.

1. after a period of time, the interface lags behind the counting and will catch up with itself later.
2. one instance, it failed to save the race result.
3. after left on for a couple hours, some of the top menu buttons were not responsive. the edit racer button for example would not do anything.

this operates on a winxp pro computer with nothing but monitor, keyboard, mouse and speakers attached to it. it does not have wireless, it does not connect to the internet.

please let me know what if any files you may need to assist in troubleshooting.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.09.13, 10:00 PM   #26
pinwc4

Well to get to the bottom of this I have some questions first. Are any of these easily reproducible?

For issue 1, how long of a period of time? Were these really long races with a lot of racers? Was the graphing screen being used or just the main race screen? And if this issue is reproducible can you open the windows task manager when it is occurring and see if fsracewin.exe or anything else is taking a large % of the CPU time?
2. Did you get any error message when it failed to save a race result? Was this noticable immediately after the missing race or was it noticed later on? Was the missing race manipulated in any way such as merging or splitting laps?
3. Did the button issue happen immediately after issue 2? If for some reason the program thought a race was still running then it would not save the results and some of the buttons would not work. The Edit Racers, Race Config. and General Config. buttons would not work in that instance, though I do not know how it would be possible for this to work off hand.

I have done a bit of minor bug fixing and updated the libraries for the software which may help though unlikely. You can try the latest build of the software by downloading this zip file and overwriting the existing files with the new copies

http://www.flipsideracing.org/downlo...n-exe-707b.zip

Could you email me your FlipSideDB file, maybe I can see something from that.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by arch2b View Post
we have recently been experiencing some issues with this version in use with the copper loop core unit.

1. after a period of time, the interface lags behind the counting and will catch up with itself later.
2. one instance, it failed to save the race result.
3. after left on for a couple hours, some of the top menu buttons were not responsive. the edit racer button for example would not do anything.

this operates on a winxp pro computer with nothing but monitor, keyboard, mouse and speakers attached to it. it does not have wireless, it does not connect to the internet.

please let me know what if any files you may need to assist in troubleshooting.
Old 2010.09.15, 12:21 PM   #27
arch2b

1. how long of a period of time? Were these really long races with a lot of racers? Was the graphing screen being used or just the main race screen? And if this issue is reproducible can you open the windows task manager when it is occurring and see if fsracewin.exe or anything else is taking a large % of the CPU time?
program started at 11am and ran till 5pm. this includes open practice time, qualifiers and mains. none of the races were more than 8 minutes in length. i never use the graphing screen. not even sure i know how to.i t is reproducible as it has happened twice now. i will have to wait until the next race event to run again. it was recently run without error however.
2. Did you get any error message when it failed to save a race result? Was this noticable immediately after the missing race or was it noticed later on? Was the missing race manipulated in any way such as merging or splitting laps?
no error messages. i went to check the stats for a particular race and when clicking on it, the results were all 0's. no, i have never had to edit results with flipside.
3. Did the button issue happen immediately after issue 2? If for some reason the program thought a race was still running then it would not save the results and some of the buttons would not work. The Edit Racers, Race Config. and General Config. buttons would not work in that instance, though I do not know how it would be possible for this to work off hand.
this was after a race had ended. i was not able to enter the edit racer screen. i also had this happen before a race started. i was not able to go back to the config screen to change race settings. i had to close the software and open it again.

I have done a bit of minor bug fixing and updated the libraries for the software which may help though unlikely. You can try the latest build of the software by downloading this zip file and overwriting the existing files with the new copies

http://www.flipsideracing.org/downlo...n-exe-707b.zip

Could you email me your FlipSideDB file, maybe I can see something from that.
i will try my best to get the requested file however it's a track pc at the hobby store to which i have very limited access, nor does it have internet access so it cannot be emailed from on site.
Old 2010.09.15, 02:23 PM   #28
pinwc4

Arch2b, thanks for the additional info, this will help in narrowing down where in the program to look for bugs. Even if you can not get me the database file I would encourage you to download the latest version of the software. The bugs I corrected could be related to some of the behavior you have seen.

In regards to reproducing the problem more what I meant was do you have a known set of actions you can follow that would reproduce the problems you have encountered. If so that information is very valuable to me plus then you have steps you can follow when trying a new build of software to see if the problem still occurs.

This is also why I commonly ask for the database file, this helps me reproduce the unique setup that each club has so I can replicate the problem they encounter. Sometimes it helps and sometimes it does not.

For the missing race results on the statistics page you see the event in the upper left table but when selected it shows the racers in the summary table on the upper right but all 0's for the results? If it shows racers but with 0's can you select an individual racer and see there laps just not the summary data?

If the slowdown occurs again it is very important to look at the task manager, at times this has been caused by the software and I have had to fix something but many times it occurs because of some other process running on the computer. Antivirus and Windows updates are the biggest culprits but since your computer is not on the Internet that rules out Windows updates.

I will dig around the code more to see what I can figure out.

Thanks
Old 2010.09.15, 05:20 PM   #29
arch2b

to reproduce, i can only run another day of events. for whatever reason, 95% of all timing system problems happen at or just past 5pm. that happens to be the only commonality among all the software used. i can't offer any more insight into this as the computer is on a power strip all by itself, no screen saver, no other software installed, etc. it's a bare bones xp pro rebuilt just for use with core.

i will try my best to get the db file. can't make any promises though. i won't be back to the shop till october 9th.

correct, in the summary page all the drivers had 0's. i had not noticed if any other information was available elsewhere. i don't recall seeing the graph line going anywhere.

i will bring v49 with me to install october 9th unless another racer beats me to it. i want to confirm the install will not delete the drivers list? i'd hate to have to rebuild that again.
Old 2010.09.15, 09:27 PM   #30
pinwc4

Quote:
Originally Posted by arch2b View Post
to reproduce, i can only run another day of events. for whatever reason, 95% of all timing system problems happen at or just past 5pm. that happens to be the only commonality among all the software used. i can't offer any more insight into this as the computer is on a power strip all by itself, no screen saver, no other software installed, etc. it's a bare bones xp pro rebuilt just for use with core.

i will try my best to get the db file. can't make any promises though. i won't be back to the shop till october 9th.

correct, in the summary page all the drivers had 0's. i had not noticed if any other information was available elsewhere. i don't recall seeing the graph line going anywhere.

i will bring v49 with me to install october 9th unless another racer beats me to it. i want to confirm the install will not delete the drivers list? i'd hate to have to rebuild that again.
With a clean install of Windows XP and only the lap counting software then yeah there should not be anything else interfering. Though if the clean install of XP is from an OEM restore disk like Dell, Acer, HP ect. those restore disks usually include other things that are running in the background versus a store bought Microsoft Windows XP install disk which would have minimal unnecessary items installed and running.

The 5 P.M. thing is really strange. If you are using a Microsoft install disk then there is nothing installed that would run scheduled like that but if it is from a manufacturer restore disk there could be. You could also look at power saving settings if the computer is equipped with that capability.

For the missing race data you since the summary showed 0's there would not be any lines on the graph. But if you try clicking the individual racer names it may show data then. The reason for this is that the individual racer data is stored in a separate table from the summary data. Even if you can not get me the file if you could look at that race data and click a racer name and let me know whether it shows individual laps or not would be very useful information.

v49 will not overwrite the existing racer data. The installer handles both new installs and upgrades so it looks for the database file and if it exists it will leave it alone. You also do not need to uninstall the previous version, the installer handles the upgrades. If you wish to take extra precautions then make a copy of your flipsidedb file to an alternate location. This is the database the holds both the racer and race information.