Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2008.03.07, 08:46 PM   #1
ChattavegasSE
Zoom Zoom!

Send a message via AIM to ChattavegasSE
Is it summer yet?

I can't wait to dust this thing off!!

Old 2008.03.08, 02:01 PM   #2
ChattavegasSE
Zoom Zoom!

I'm even more excited to run it now that I just odered a bunch of stuff for it off eb@y! Fifteen bucks bought me all silver alloy gears, silver alloy brake discs, red alloy rear swing arm, and a red alloy gear box. Now I just need to track down an XSpeed motor...

Crap the cheapest upgrade motor I found was $30.

Last edited by ChattavegasSE; 2008.03.08 at 02:06 PM.
ChattavegasSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.03.15, 06:48 PM   #3
ChattavegasSE
Zoom Zoom!

There's a RTR new built bike on eb@y right now that the seller did an amazing detail job on! I'm dying waiting for these dang parts though. My bike is completely dismantled on my table right now. I was telling Chunk 3 of the 4 parts I ordered would take all of 20 minutes total, but the rear swing arm took me all the way back to step 2 in the build manual. It's gonna take all day to put it back together!
Old 2008.03.15, 06:51 PM   #4
ChattavegasSE
Zoom Zoom!

If I only had the money...

And I thought I spent way too much time building my bike!!
Old 2008.03.19, 09:59 PM   #5
ChattavegasSE
Zoom Zoom!

Wow the one I posted above sold for $175 and the rider wasn't even assembled! Maybe I could make a little profit...
Old 2008.03.24, 08:26 PM   #6
ChattavegasSE
Zoom Zoom!

I got all my alloy bits on, I definitely need to find a red front shock assembly! The gearbox and gears work flawlessly, super smooth and no slop. The rear swing arm looks great, but the included screws don't allow me to mount the rear fender over the wheels. I'll have to find some different screws to put that back on. Also, the alloy front brake rotors rub the faux calipers on the front fork, so I had to take them off, too. I'll sand them down and reattach them eventually. But for now, it's race ready with decorative and non-areo parts removed.
Old 2008.03.24, 10:17 PM   #7
soulstice

Very nice. I might want to pick one of these up. Are the electronics the same 2channel you would use on an RC car. Also are the kyosho ones good ones to get or would you recommend another brand.
Old 2008.03.25, 05:07 PM   #8
ChattavegasSE
Zoom Zoom!

For 1/8th motorcycles, Kyosho is the only way to go. Thunder Tiger makes 1/5th bikes that are either electric or nitro. I love my bike, it's a blast to drive. The electronics are more like 1/16th scale car stuff. The motor that comes with the kit is a zippy 280-size, and Kyosho sells an upgraded BB Grand Prix motor for it.

The electronics I used are made by Futaba specifically for the bike. The Futaba kit comes with a servo made for the bike's frame, and a RX/ESC combo unit that's also designed for the bike. There is a slot on the frame for the Futaba's on/off switch; they are designed to work together. You can fit micro electronics in there, but the Futaba kit costs only $70ish and comes with everything you need minus a battery. The RX is a 2-channel 27AM unit that works very well with any other 27AM radio. I use my Airtronics 2PL with it. The ESC is forward with brake only, cuz why would your bike go backwards!?

I got all my stuff of eb@y. This is all you need to run:
$80 shipped for the Kyosho Hanging On Rider kit
$70 shipped for the Futaba radio gear
$20 shipped for a Duratrax 1200 battery pack from Tower

I also added a bearing set for around $15, I got all the GPM alloy parts for $40 shipped, too.

Last edited by ChattavegasSE; 2008.03.25 at 05:21 PM.
ChattavegasSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.03.25, 05:19 PM   #9
ChattavegasSE
Zoom Zoom!

Here's a butt-load of pics from the build:

Main frame with electronics installed:

Took over a week to get to this point lol!

Riding naked and size comparison:

Finished build, left turn look:

As it sits right now:

...and with the lower cowling removed:
Old 2008.03.25, 08:50 PM   #10
soulstice

Thanks for all the pics. Great job on the bike. Looks fantastic. If you have any pics of the alloy pieces you've put in I'd love to see more.

I'm really thinking about picking one up now.

Question.
1. Is it a real pain to put together. I seem to be getting that feeling from what I've been reading online. Or is it just like any 1/10 car kit.
2. Is the bike and rider you have painted, or did you achieve that through decals.
3. I already have some a small esc and receiver. Can I make due with these and pick up a small servo or do i need to get the futaba kit? I'm using all KO Propo at the moment which is why I ask.
Old 2008.03.28, 04:44 PM   #11
ChattavegasSE
Zoom Zoom!

1. It's a lot more complicated then a 1/10th scale car kit, that's for sure. I spent almost 6 weeks on the build, although some of that was waiting for things and a lot was in painting/decaling. Now that I've built it, I stripped it down and reassembled it (for the rear arm) in just a few hours.

2. All of the bike body panels and rider parts are plain white. I painted the rider with a flat white first, then masked off and painted the red areas; I did the bike cowlings the same, except I used a gloss white.

3. It really depends on the size of the electronics. It's pretty cramped in there, and I was very happy that the Futaba kit is made specifically for the bike, so that really simplified installation. The servo stands up in the middle of the chassis, and, depending on its size, you might have to make some shims to fit on either side of it to hold it securely in place - it doesn't bolt in like traditional servo's. Directly underneath the servo (in between the two main frame sections) there is a good sized channel where you could fit other electronics; if they are just a smidgen too big, you can always take the boards out of their cases. Xtreme RC Car magazine did that; they used a Spektrum RX and a LRP somethingorother micro ESC. I think a combination ESC/RX is the easiest thing to use though.

Just make sure you can program a reverse lock-out.

Search "Kyosho, motorcycle" in eb@y stores and you'll come up with all kinds of stuff.