Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2002.02.10, 08:53 PM   #1
Justin

Send a message via ICQ to Justin
Talking McLaren F1 GTR (Polycarbonate Body)

Hi All,

I had recently been saying that I'd get my hands on a McLaren F1 GTR Body and I have.... My fatehr brought it over from Taiwan for me this morning.....

Anyway - here is a photo of it and as usual for my previous 2 cars (Europa and Cobra), I will be showing everyone the step by step progression of my new body.....

So without any further or do - here it is....

Enjoy people...

Cheers~!!!!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mclaren f1 gtr.jpg (24.5 KB, 172 views)
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.02.10, 09:58 PM   #2
mini-z
Administrator

Justin, is that the Squat one, it doesn't look like the ones we have? Hurry up and paint it so we can put it on your Feature Rides article!
mini-z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.02.10, 10:11 PM   #3
Rick
Raider Nation Citizen

Send a message via AIM to Rick
It definately doesn't look anything like mine.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.02.10, 10:28 PM   #4
Justin

Smile Message for Mini Z and Rick

Mini Z: I'll try and get this body done asap. Add this later to my featured ride please - as I don't like rushing paint jobs (because I stuff up rushed jobs).... But I'll get it done within a weeks time. This one I'm not too sure where it came from as the sales rep. over in Taiwan told my dad this was the Squat one, but it doesn't look like it to me... Worst of all - it doesn't suit the Mini Z at all... It's exactly like the other Squat bodies shown - they hang over the side of the car (the covers are way too wide..... in this case - there is 7.5mm clearence from the wheels to the cover on each side, which makes extremely pathetic to look at).....

Rick - I think I've answered your question above, but like I said - it didn't come with a tag or anything - just a tag saying it was a McLaren F1 GTR.... so I'm not sure... Sorry I can't answer your question.... What brand was yours - can you post a photo please?
Old 2002.02.11, 09:56 AM   #5
i-WERKS
Mini-Z Pro

Justin.

Does this body fit on the racer or the F1? I need a mclaren too. I don't know if I should get it for 1/10 or for the Z
i-WERKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.02.11, 01:49 PM   #6
mini-z
Administrator

Justin, the Squat McLaren is for the F1 - so this is either a knock-off of that (in which case it's intended for the F1) or it's something we've never seen before if it's Mini-Z size. I'm not sure what you mean about hanging over the wheels, have you seen our 360, it doesn't hang over the wheels, and neither do most of the ones we've just got in stock, esp. the RX-7 and Supra which have the wheels sticking out quite a way.
Old 2002.02.11, 05:12 PM   #7
Justin

Question Message for Mini Z

Mini Z,

I'm pretty sure that this cover is a Squat knock-off and it definately for the F1, and not for the Mini Z.... But never the less - I'm determined to get it working for the Mini Z... About the RX7 and the Supra - hmmmmm - I've seen the 360 (absolute beauty as it's the only Ferrari I like, the others I totally hate), RX7 - nice, but not enough detail and the Supra - not enough detail as well....

When you get the photos of the shop - let me know asap as I would like to get some more bodies for my Mini Z. Thanks Mini Z - keep up the great work you've been doing for a while....

Cheers~!
Old 2002.02.11, 10:15 PM   #8
Justin

Smile Message for Mini Z and i-Werks

Mini Z, as you and I suspected - this indeed is a knock off of the Squat body (since the rear wing supports are already different, since mine's stuck to the body)...... The cover is nice, but it's meant to be for a F1 Mini Z..... Never the less with a little experience and thought - I've already got this car made out in my mind and in my sketches.... All I need to do now is paint it and also make the decals and buy the Skyline or Subaru or AMG rims..... Then I'll be totally set~!!!!!!!!! Cause I've already got the body mounts done.......

i-Werks, I don't know about you, but if I were you - I'd get a McLaren F1 GTR for both your Mini Z and your 1/10... Why????? It's just because I'm a McLaren F1 GTR NUT~!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE THIS CAR TOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH~!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had it on my 1/10 nitro rc but I sold it after trashing it for 2 years).......

Cheers~!!!!!!
Old 2002.02.11, 10:48 PM   #9
mini-z
Administrator

Justin, pics should be up soon; the problem is that the body has a wheelbase of 130mm (F1) so that's going to be a huge and possibly mechanically impossible custom H-plate for your regular Z!
Old 2002.02.12, 04:20 AM   #10
Justin

Talking Message for Mini Z.....

Mini Z,

the H plate is NOT a problem at all... I've already made one and it works great... the wheelbase is also not 130mm. On mine it's only 105mm... So it was in fact quite easy to make. Also - I don't like to prove you wrong Mini Z, but if you have a look (I'll scan some photos for you - my design plans for the H plate - you can have them as long as 150mm (provided that you have a custom made Rear Shock Set like me... I can make it fit to any wheelbase provided that the thin metal casing is long enough (which is VERY cheap to buy in hobby shops).....

I'll show you soon Mini Z...

Cheers~!!!!
Old 2002.02.12, 02:12 PM   #11
Rick
Raider Nation Citizen

Send a message via AIM to Rick
105mm? Wow, that's definately a cheap knockoff and not for the F1. You couldn't get the F1 wheelbase that short if you tried. Why would they make a 105mm wheelbase? It's too long for stock Mini-Z long setting and way too short for F1 wheelbase. Maybe it's not for Mini-Z at all...? The size makes it seem like it would be close to real 1/24 scale.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.02.12, 03:15 PM   #12
Justin

Smile Message for Rick

Rick,

I honestly can't tell you whether or not it's actually for a Mini Z because the sales rep told my dad it was the Squat one, but once I got it - I knew it wasn't because of the rear spoiler and lack of detail in the front headlights (but I didn't like the Squat headlights anyway)..... But yep - it's 105mm... I've made an extended H plate and it works fine with my custom rear shock which kicks butt (you can have it working on the shortest wheelbase to 120mm wheelbase without it from getting too much flex or too much strain for the Mini Z chassis... I'll post some photos as I told Mini Z when I'm done....

As you said - the body does seem to be in proportion, but the Squat one is the "longtail" version, which makes it different to the "Le Mans GTR"... So the scale would be slightly off if you know what I mean, because McLaren brought out the 'longtail' version in 98 and they have been using it ever since (due to the recent fad craze of using a longtail car which is suppose to give it better aerodynamics and stability at high speeds....

Anyway - I'll be back working on my McLaren F1 GTR, and Mini Z - please allow me to add this later to the feature rides section... Also - please put up your Ferrari 360 and Kenichi's new 427 C'vette (that'd look awesome once it's finished).....

Cheers~!
Old 2002.02.12, 03:21 PM   #13
Mondo
Mini-Zedologist - Fear me

Mystery McLaren body

Justin,

I reckon it's a polycarb/Lexan body for a 1/24 slot car.

What makes me think this?
The slot Lexan bodies are not too detailed.
105mm sounds about right for a Top-Slot chassis, although the more sophisticated slot chassis are adjustable

Either way, it's still nice to have a'one-off'.

As for your 'custom shock', check my old '66 Mustang Thread.
I made one some time ago, quite simple, just use the rear screw holes made for the antenna. Place a strip of durable plastic across them and mount the shock to the centre of that.

Mondo
Old 2002.02.12, 04:36 PM   #14
Justin

Thumbs up Message for Mondo

Mondo,

I think you're right about the polycarb McLaren Body for being a slot car body..... Also - your custom suspension I've seen and I like as well... Mine's very very simple... It requires 1 servo saver spring, 3 pieces of thin metal tubing (2 hollow), and 2 lock nuts... Slap them together and bend it a little and done - it works like a dream....

Cheers Mondo and please get your Mustang done~!!!!! I want to see it~!!!!!!!