Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2009.03.10, 10:38 PM   #1
herman

what body are you going to run this racing season?

er kinda echoing my question in another thread...

hi folks... with kyosho's release of new mr02 mm bodies...

i.e. dbr, f1 gtr (lark and gulf) and the '08 gtr...

i'm left wondering who's going to race what in this season's series of races...
it seems like it's going to be an interesting season...

also wondering what bodies are the top drivers choice, or what body they are most inclined to use (and why)...
and what the driving characteristics are for each...
like are there any advantages/disadvantages of one over the other...

i've been reading up on some reviews on the gtr and some say it's the bomb!

how about some reviews on the f1 gtr lark/gulf and the dbr???... anybody inclined to use them???

thanks for any reply...
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.03.10, 10:50 PM   #2
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
i have the db9 right now but i'm also interested in trying the new mclaren and ofcourse the gt-r r35
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.03.10, 11:22 PM   #3
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
I ran the Ferrari f355 at the KO race in stock class On an MR015 chassis. I was either going to use that, or a McLaren F1LM (old) on a different MR015 with MR02 track width conversion. I chose the f355 mainly because the min weight limit was 170g at this event, where my McLaren setup is 180g, the f355 setup is 175g. I traction rolled one time, while leading the B main... and lost by less than a second to Willy Wong and he bumped up to the A. The car was on pace with the A main cars, I just tapped the walls too many times on my best run (once was all it took). Everyone in the A main qualified with 27L, I qualified B2 with 26L 5:02, willy qualified B1 26L 5:01 with a C5R.

There were many 360GTC, I think Jacob used a 430GTC... in stock. In mod, he used the Super GT 350Z '07. As did Cristian in AWD mod.

I choose my bodies and chassis by the track layout, class and motor that is going to be used. For modified, I will use an MR02 with wider offsets... stock, I prefer the MR015 with lighter bodies.

Different tracks, like different bodies. Some are better for tight tracks, others better for wide open tracks. Also, the type of grip that the track has plays a big part in how I choose my body. Low grip, the higher CG bodies tend to work better. High grip, lower CG bodies.

I basically reserve the larger bodies for modified class, and the smaller lighter bodies for stock class. By stock class, I mean 70t class. For super stock, I use what the track layout dictates.

I am a little different than the norm, as far as I know, I was the only one to use an MR015 in the stock class... I think a few used them in the Mini class (<90mm). I think that it handled the track well, but was better suited for the smaller layout that we practiced on the day before. The larger competition circuit may have been better with the McLaren, but the difference is really small. I only like the older McLaren on an MR015. I have never liked an MR02 under the shell, it doesnt seem to transition the way that I want it to.

In general, there are a few bodies that are good at many layouts... the 360GTC comes to mind... as it is the most winning body. I actually have never owned one, but do have a white body 430GTC that is going to be painted soon... As well as a GTR 98mm.

Last edited by EMU; 2009.03.10 at 11:26 PM.
EMU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.03.11, 12:49 AM   #4
herman

thanks guys...

@arch... any improvement in the handling department? how does it run...

@ emu... pretty in depth... thanks for the info... matching a particular body to a track kinda makes sense... i know pn has a mr015 front track width adapter for the mr02 chassis... didn't know that they had a mr02 front track width adapter for the mr015 though... you are using a lm on the mclarens? how does that run? you try any of the newer bodies as mentioned above? thanks in advance...
Old 2009.03.11, 01:11 AM   #5
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
Quote:
Originally Posted by herman View Post
i know pn has a mr015 front track width adapter for the mr02 chassis... didn't know that they had a mr02 front track width adapter for the mr015 though...
It is not a PN part. It was unveiled at the KO race... On my MR015 McLaren and F40 (which I drove in the mini class, but the DDS came loose). Expect to see them available at Reflex, and possibly here soon...

I am using a PN Flat mount. I dont like the LM configuration, the diff is too far off center. I would rather use offset on the wheels, and keep the spur closer to center.

I have run the McLaren GTR on basically the same setup as the McLaren F1. The car was looser off throttle, and harder to rotate on full throttle. Essentially, it was more of a handfull to drive, but provided only slightly slower laptimes with a Speedy 07BB. It shined more in the sweepers, giving more stability.

I have the DBR9 on an MR02. Mid corner, and corner exit are good, but turn in is a little sluggish. Good for larger tracks... I will try it on my MR015 soon...

Last edited by EMU; 2009.03.11 at 01:30 AM.
EMU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.03.11, 07:09 AM   #6
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
yep, i've found the db9 to be tricky to dial in for cornering as have other dc club members. once you get it tweaked to your liking, it's pretty good. i raced 360 gtc's exclusively for a long time but i'm happy with the db9 for now. i figured after a couple years it was worth trying mm again. i'll stick with it for a couple seasons at least.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.03.11, 07:20 AM   #7
color01

I don't have a huge budget for purchasing bodies so I'll be sticking to the new McLaren GTR. It's large, wide and stable but actually isn't so heavy, so I'm inclined to give it a shot. So far it seems great for high-grip tracks and sweepers... dives right into those. But as it's so long, it might not be agile enough to be an all-purpose body like the 360/430GTC. I'll have to find out as soon as I get the right tires (still need softer front tires ).

Greyscale RC

PN Racing | My TinyRC Blog

Last edited by color01; 2009.03.11 at 07:24 AM.
color01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.03.11, 11:55 AM   #8
MINIz guy11
Hibernation ON!

Send a message via AIM to MINIz guy11 Send a message via MSN to MINIz guy11 Send a message via Yahoo to MINIz guy11
I'm hoping that my season will be run with the McLaren F1 LM, just an old recycled body I'm going to run until it breaks to save on money. With so many bodies to choose from, I really want to go the BMW M3 route if my McLaren doesn't work. Either the Kyosho M3 or the new Iwaver M3 is what I would try and use.
Old 2009.03.11, 12:22 PM   #9
imxlr8ed

Davey G painted Murch... wish I had 3 more of these! Car is good on all tracks, weight evenly displaced, very forgiving with the barriers and extremely sturdy. With the cool paint scheme... I can actually see it too! (a big plus!)

My Lexus is still great on some tracks, but not all. I popped a 360 Modena on my Mod car just this last weekend and I noticed that there was less tendency to get the butt end around as opposed to what the Lexus was doing. The lower CG seemed to help with that but without any real airdam up front, it's not to barrier friendly... seems to want to get airborne when it hits. Would be the perfect car if I could drive perfectly! I guess I could try to find a GTC.

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/UID

http://www.howfastareyou.com

SUPPORT LBR!!!
(Local Basement Racing)
imxlr8ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.03.11, 05:43 PM   #10
dvsstrike
The name is Tim

R 35 gtr only. i do not like the 94mm and never tried the 96. like in a previous post turn iin like a 350z and stable like a nsx
Old 2009.03.11, 10:35 PM   #11
Jace1283
CCMMMK

i only run 98mm on my mr-02, right now the best stock bodies seem to be
-Nissan GTR (98mm, short overhangs, +2 offset, of course its good!)
-NSX drilled to 98mm
-350Z drilled to 98mm
-Mclaren Stock Version(33g body, Light!, extremely short overhangs, 98mm, 0 offset, we know its good)
-ENZO (toss that in there, i always liked it)

on my mr02 right now is a silver mclaren and on my ma010 is a SC430 94mm. both cars are fast, wouldn't change anything, well at least until my 2 whitebody GTRs get here at least!

The GTR F1 is obviously not gonna be the best for stock, its just too long everywhere. The only chance it has in stock is if you take the spoiler off, then maybe it could work. That's all classroom and no real testing but physics is physics. That body is for faster cars, faster than stock(pn 70t).

Last edited by Jace1283; 2009.03.18 at 08:51 PM.
Jace1283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.03.16, 05:24 AM   #12
herman

thanks for sharing... now how about the rest???
Old 2009.03.16, 08:45 AM   #13
hrdrvr
MBMZR

Ill be carrying my regular plethera of bodies every where I go...lexus sc430, NSX (94/98), 360GPC, 350Z GT (94/98), corvette. Ive added some of the new ones thatll turn out popular as well, like the 430GPC, Mcl GTR, and the dbr9. Ive run all of them except the 430GPC, and they all have a place based on track conditions, and the chassis/class Im running.

LET's Go Racing!
hrdrvr is offline   Reply With Quote