Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2004.09.29, 10:01 PM   #1
GX9901

How to make an XMod halfway decent?

I bought an XMod out of curiosity and so far I'm not impressed at all. Its controls are sluggish (at least compared to a Mini-Z or Iwaver), and there's NO turning radius. The XMod could not make it through any of the turns on my RCP Mini-96 track without hitting the side rail. In comparison, both my MR-02 and Iwaver clear those turns with ease, and seemingly with a motor at least 10 times more powerful. I wasn't expecting the XMod to be all that close to the Mini-Z but this is ridiculous. I even bought the stage 1 motor upgrade and it doesn't seem to do anything.
I would like to at least get the XMod to be able to complete some laps on my Mini-96 track. Would the AWD kit help? Or is it a lost cause to try and run it on a narrow RCP track?
Thanks for any input you may have.
GX9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.09.29, 10:07 PM   #2
TNB
Pet Human

On the Mini-Tile, I thought the AWD kit made it worse. I ended up power breaking around the turns. There is supposed to a resistor fix for the stearing, but I've never tried it. However, you can probably learn more about it on the MZR sister site or the RS Xmod forum.
Old 2004.09.30, 12:07 PM   #3
Twenty-Se7en
Rockin Da Z

Send a message via MSN to Twenty-Se7en
check out the tinyrc.com forums. There are lots and lots of threads on how to improve the xmods turning radius. Unfortunatly I cannot tell you if they work or not because I gave up on my xmods pretty soon after I got it and now it just sits there ... not even like a shelf queen because the bodies aren't that detailed... So, like I said TINYRC.COM
Twenty-Se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.09.30, 12:09 PM   #4
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
a new comer to the washington gtg's brought his skyline xmod and actually ran it rather well on my 50cm track. he also mentioned bending in the ends of the tie bar. it definately was better than my son's rsx. he still got blown away when running with the z's though. just posting to show it can be done...
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.09.30, 12:47 PM   #5
Twenty-Se7en
Rockin Da Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by arch2b
a new comer to the washington gtg's brought his skyline xmod and actually ran it rather well on my 50cm track. he also mentioned bending in the ends of the tie bar. it definately was better than my son's rsx. he still got blown away when running with the z's though. just posting to show it can be done...
Mini-zs and Xmods wont be competitors until Radio Shack does something with the Xmods... maybe they will release an Xmods SE like the zipzaps but that doesn't look likely as they only just released the new bodies for the xmods. Like I mentioned there are numberous threads on modding the radius of steering for the xmods, but as I don't know if I mentioned they are nowhere near beginner mods and require some skill to pull off. I may do some in the future, if I do I will post it in the other rc's section.
Old 2004.09.30, 01:49 PM   #6
GX9901

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty-Se7en
check out the tinyrc.com forums. There are lots and lots of threads on how to improve the xmods turning radius. Unfortunatly I cannot tell you if they work or not because I gave up on my xmods pretty soon after I got it and now it just sits there ... not even like a shelf queen because the bodies aren't that detailed... So, like I said TINYRC.COM
Thanks for the reference. I'll check them out. That sorry turning radius and overall sluggishness on the XMod was kind of surprising to me. Maybe I was expecting near Mini-Z level of performance. I had seen a chart showing how an XMod stacks up to a Mini-Z (XMod site of course) and they looked pretty equal except the XMod costs a lot less. Well now I know they are not even remotely close to a Mini-Z (or Iwaver for that matter). Hopefully I can mod it somehow to actually be able to run on my RCP track.
Old 2004.09.30, 02:06 PM   #7
byebye

Quote:
Originally Posted by GX9901
Thanks for the reference. I'll check them out. That sorry turning radius and overall sluggishness on the XMod was kind of surprising to me. Maybe I was expecting near Mini-Z level of performance. I had seen a chart showing how an XMod stacks up to a Mini-Z (XMod site of course) and they looked pretty equal except the XMod costs a lot less. Well now I know they are not even remotely close to a Mini-Z (or Iwaver for that matter). Hopefully I can mod it somehow to actually be able to run on my RCP track.
Can you link that chart for us? I had the same problems with my x-mods and just tossed them in the trash after I bought my z's. Too much hassle to work on. At the last GTG I tried to FET stack them with bad results. Too much work for little performance. Better off buying an iwaver.
byebye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.09.30, 02:58 PM   #8
Twenty-Se7en
Rockin Da Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by byebye
Can you link that chart for us? I had the same problems with my x-mods and just tossed them in the trash after I bought my z's. Too much hassle to work on. At the last GTG I tried to FET stack them with bad results. Too much work for little performance. Better off buying an iwaver.
You actually got around to trying to fet the xmods huh... have any more info on that, not that i'm going to do it to my xmods, even though that would be good practice, but i'm curious how it differs from the mini-z in terms of ability to do the mod
Old 2004.09.30, 03:24 PM   #9
byebye

Quote:
You actually got around to trying to fet the xmods huh... have any more info on that, not that i'm going to do it to my xmods, even though that would be good practice, but i'm curious how it differs from the mini-z in terms of ability to do the mod
Well there wasn't anything in the way when we stacked them. It was when I put it back together that I realized the heatsink was in the way and had to be cut. After all that work it didn't wanna go. It just puttered until it built up speed then it was fast. Not sure if it was faster than stock. In reverse there was instant torque but once under load it puttered. Not sure if stacking on the stock killed it because we did a 4562 2x2 stack after we removed the stock FETs and it did the same thing. Don't know what I did wrong but it was way too much work. With the amount of time it took to do the x-mod I did all 4 of my mini-z's. FET stacking the Z's was a cinch especially since I just stacked onto the stock ones. Did you see the purple CLK video? If you did that was with an megatech high torque motor and a 2x2 4562 stack on top of the stock FETs and it was pretty fast.
I got my hopes up on the x-mod when we started the project but after all was said and done I left it in pieces because we couldn't get it to work. Oh well. I was hoping to have better results.
byebye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.09.30, 09:07 PM   #10
MattPaintballer
Shopping Cart Drifter

Location: I have a home? You people need to tell me about these things I don't know!
Send a message via AIM to MattPaintballer
Quote:
Mini-zs and Xmods wont be competitors until Radio Shack does something with the Xmods... maybe they will release an Xmods SE like the zipzaps but that doesn't look likely as they only just released the new bodies for the xmods. Like I mentioned there are numberous threads on modding the radius of steering for the xmods, but as I don't know if I mentioned they are nowhere near beginner mods and require some skill to pull off. I may do some in the future, if I do I will post it in the other rc's section.
... I have a ZipZap SE and my friend has a ZipZap... He has 2 of the best motor, so he put one in his and the other just sits there... I brought my SE to his house and borrowed the spare motor, we raced a straightaway and he smoked me. If they released an Xmod SE it would probably have lights like the ZipZap SE, but it would probably be slower and run for a shorter time because of the lights...

"I have an idea. An idea so big my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about." - Peter Griffin, Family Guy
MattPaintballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.09.30, 10:31 PM   #11
Twenty-Se7en
Rockin Da Z

Quote:
Well there wasn't anything in the way when we stacked them. It was when I put it back together that I realized the heatsink was in the way and had to be cut. After all that work it didn't wanna go. It just puttered until it built up speed then it was fast. Not sure if it was faster than stock. In reverse there was instant torque but once under load it puttered. Not sure if stacking on the stock killed it because we did a 4562 2x2 stack after we removed the stock FETs and it did the same thing. Don't know what I did wrong but it was way too much work. With the amount of time it took to do the x-mod I did all 4 of my mini-z's. FET stacking the Z's was a cinch especially since I just stacked onto the stock ones. Did you see the purple CLK video? If you did that was with an megatech high torque motor and a 2x2 4562 stack on top of the stock FETs and it was pretty fast.
I got my hopes up on the x-mod when we started the project but after all was said and done I left it in pieces because we couldn't get it to work. Oh well. I was hoping to have better results.
pitty you didn't see any results, that sucks
Old 2004.09.30, 10:33 PM   #12
Twenty-Se7en
Rockin Da Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattPaintballer
... I have a ZipZap SE and my friend has a ZipZap... He has 2 of the best motor, so he put one in his and the other just sits there... I brought my SE to his house and borrowed the spare motor, we raced a straightaway and he smoked me. If they released an Xmod SE it would probably have lights like the ZipZap SE, but it would probably be slower and run for a shorter time because of the lights...
Yes, it is slower but that is in the straight line... if you race any kind of technical track then you'd get your ass smoked by an SE if you were in an origional.
Old 2004.09.30, 10:55 PM   #13
pHREDD
z of mini

For practice I took my stock fets that I have been saving from my mini-z's and put a 4x2 stack of them on one of my xmods. I did remove my stock xmod fets. I thought the xmod was more easy to do a fet stack than the mini z . at least it seemed like i had more room to work on the pcb. THe chassie had to be modded for the stack to fit. It has a little more power with the new fet stack but I have only tested it with the stock motor. I also did the steering mod using the resistors. it will increase the turning radius to almost double what the stock steering will do. It does make it a little harder to drive with the steering mod because it turns tool quick.

I don plan on racing it but it was fun for practice
Old 2004.10.01, 12:58 PM   #14
GX9901

Quote:
Here's the link:

http://www.xmodworld.com/modules.php...e+XMods+racers

It's toward the bottom of the page.
Old 2004.10.02, 11:02 AM   #15
Twenty-Se7en
Rockin Da Z

wow... they really made that table give some illusion of what an xmods is to a mini-z... it's sad that the xmods community tends to rely so much on competition with the mini-z because they are so far from eachother there is no way to compare them... sad, all they have is scale in common.