Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2005.10.18, 07:48 AM   #1
DogbreathRacing
MINI-Z MONSTER GARAGE

Send a message via AIM to DogbreathRacing
Exclamation Fully Propo 4X4 SSMT

I did post this under the 4X4 thread but after suggestion have decieded to start a new thread on this.
There has been lots of talk lately about Kyosho's new 4X4 car coming out and everyone is wanting a 4X4 truck also though none have been found that really fit the bill till now. Fast Lane R/C (distributed through Toys-R-Us) has released the new Super Slick MT in 1/24th scale. Some call it a toy R/C...and it is, but it is also a fully functional 4X4 with diffs and after just a little work and an open heart transplant (junk the stock PCB and replace it with a Kyosho or Iwaver board) it can be a fully proportional 4X4 Monster Truck....read on for more info.

OK guys here's the skinny on the SSMT

#1 No the SSMT is not full propo, it's one step right or left and one step forward, brake and reverse, but it does ok in stock form......Yes it can be made proportional with a Kyosho or Iwaver board. This also includes a potentiometer transplant which is slightly tricky but totally within our abilities.

#2 While it does not have the articulation of the MZM it is still quite good, the upper and lower links you see that look stationary are not, they are mounted on a pivot that the internal drive shaft passes through....quite clever actually. And in reality the articulation of the front and read cases is limited only by the shocks, unlike the MZM/IW04 which are limited by the upper links, so this truck really has some promise for a big articulation crawling monster.

#3 It is a single motor truck and the stock motor is larger than the 130's we use in mini z's, but the MZM or IW04 boards will handle them and they have tons of torque compared to the smaller motors. (I did install an X-Speed just to see and while it was fast, it lacked enough torque and got very hot so went back to the stock motor it came with)

#4 Even after modding it to full propo be careful, the truck is cheaper toy grade plastic and duribility will be an issue. I can't see trying to hop this up into some speed demon, it will just end up broke...but if you want a low speed, high torque 4X4 crawler then this has lots of potential.

#5 There is no servo saver....not yet anyway, I'm still working on that. Not sure yet if we can transplant the whole gear cluster with servo saver. Right now I am using the stock servo gears with a transplanted pot.

#6 The SSMT does have open diffs (meaning it act like the old limited slip diffs, jam one tire and all the power goes to the other side) so these will have to be locked up for any serious crawling...still working on that too.

#7 there are no bearings, nor do I believe any could actually be made to work in this truck, however it does ride on a set of very smooth and slick nylon bushings that should work well for a long time if lubed up good.

All in all for $20 you can't go wrong. It took me about three hours to dissassemble and install a IW board in it and figure out the potentiometer in the front servo case.

The MINI Z MONSTER GARAGE will be doing a four link suspension system on this truck in the near future as well as figuring out the servo saver problem. The little truck has lots of promise.

Here is a pic of the IW board mounted with sticky foam to the inside of the top cover, the original board sat on top of the chassis with a small secondary board with the FETs sitting down inside the chassis

Here you can see the articulation without shocks attached

here the SSMT chassis (foreground) and the MZM chassis (background) show similarities...the SSMT is just a tad (1/4 inch) longer than the MZM, it is also a tad (1/4 inch) wider.

MR02RM, MR02MM, MZM,
Pro-Pulse Pro T-100 1/18 4X4,
Associated Team Factory RC18B with MAMBA 56K

DogBreath's Magical Mystery Album

Last edited by DogbreathRacing; 2005.10.18 at 07:55 AM.
DogbreathRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.10.18, 11:50 AM   #2
pHREDD
z of mini

That is super cool DBR. I gotta make me one of those. I thought I had seen those tires some where before
Old 2005.10.18, 01:51 PM   #3
byebye

That looks like it's going to be a fantstic project. Keep us posted on your progress.

Is it possible to criss cross the suspension to gain full articulation?

-Byebye
byebye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.10.18, 08:21 PM   #4
DogbreathRacing
MINI-Z MONSTER GARAGE

One other measurement that needs to be addressed, the SSMT, while wider and longer than the MZM, is also lower by about 1/4 inch (lower meaning the clearance under the chassis) But I think the 4X4 feature makes up for this.

MR02RM, MR02MM, MZM,

Old 2005.10.20, 06:03 PM   #5
Ronin
The Damaged One

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogbreathRacing
One other measurement that needs to be addressed, the SSMT, while wider and longer than the MZM, is also lower by about 1/4 inch (lower meaning the clearance under the chassis) But I think the 4X4 feature makes up for this.
are you going to be doing a full article on how to install a kyosho or iwaver pcb into the ssmt?

what's the runtime like all stock? how about with kyosho/iwaver guts?

mzm wheel and tire mounting capabilities?
Old 2005.10.20, 08:26 PM   #6
DogbreathRacing
MINI-Z MONSTER GARAGE

Quote:
Is it possible to criss cross the suspension to gain full articulation?
hhhhmmmmm...don't know about that, really haven't really played with the suspension yet...it does have alot of possibilities

Quote:
are you going to be doing a full article on how to install a kyosho or iwaver pcb into the ssmt?
probably not at this point, changing the PCB is pretty easy, rip out the old, slap in the new, the real tricky part is the steering, and I am still working on a better way to do that....but will keep everyone informed

Quote:
what's the runtime like all stock? how about with kyosho/iwaver guts?
don't know about stock, only ran it about five minutes stock then ripped into it...
since it runs AA's instead of AAA's the run time should be at least double but there again, I haven't run a full pack yet (AAA=850Mah=40/60 min / AA=2200Mah=120 min+)

Quote:
mzm wheel and tire mounting capabilities?
Don't see anyway to mount MZM wheels on the SSMT, but with some work the SSMT wheels will fit on the SSMT

MR02RM, MR02MM, MZM,

Old 2005.10.21, 07:03 AM   #7
DogbreathRacing
MINI-Z MONSTER GARAGE

one more little bit of info.

In stock form the SSMT has a total of 1 3/4 inch articulation
In stock form the MZM has a total of 2 1/4 inch articulation

measured from outside edges of the tires with three tires touching the ground

I believe the difference come from the shock mounting positions, the MZM shocks are mounted 1.2 iches apart front and 1.45 inches aprt rear, while the SSMT shocks are mounted 1.55 inches apart front and 1.75 inches rear

measured center ball to center ball at the bottom mount

the wider the shocks are mounted the less articulation travel there is

the SSMT shocks also have approx. 1/8 inch lees travel

all of this corresponds to the SSMT having less articulation than the MZM, I do think we can change some things to give the SSMT a little better flex

MR02RM, MR02MM, MZM,

Old 2005.10.21, 07:22 AM   #8
byebye

COOOOL!

-Byebye
Old 2005.10.24, 12:05 AM   #9
DogbreathRacing
MINI-Z MONSTER GARAGE

OK Monster Truck Fans...here's the latest update on the SSMT Full Propo Experimental truck.

The whole MONSTER GARAGE crew got together today for a little monster mayhem, RCM and I both are running the new SSMT's with full propo boards and steering against the MZM.

It became apparent very quickly that a SSMT with fully locked four wheel drive with full propo capabilities and regardless of actual ground clearance, can out climb, out crawl, and out claw the MZM hands down.

RCM showed up with his truck sporting a LSSM shock job....WOW! We have never seen such articulation in any Kyoshor or Iwaver Monster, Overland, or even scrath built trucks of this scale. We are talking over 4 inches of lift on any corner and keeping the other three tires firmly planted. Now just add full driving powe to all those tires and you can start to see where these things will crawl out of or over just about anything.

We had a great time, we broke out all the old foam obstacles and went to crawling. One of the favorites was the "Bowels of Hell" canyon run. It has many holes that will almost swallow a monster. The MZM performes ok in here with lots of horsepower but the SSMT geared so low just walks through obstacles like this, and the added articulation really comes into play.

Our opinion is that for the little amount of money for the truck, add a full propo board and servo, do a small shock job, and viola' you have a really nice crawler, tons of low torque, fantastic traction, and very controllable (with the 4X4 engaged, if you get in a tight spot, you can always stop, backup, and realign, ....very hard to do with a 2WD)
These may become our favorite truck if we're not careful!

MR02RM, MR02MM, MZM,

Last edited by DogbreathRacing; 2005.10.24 at 12:17 AM.
Old 2005.10.24, 01:46 AM   #10
byebye

Way tooooooo COOOOOOL!

You've gotta shoot some video!

-Byebye
Old 2005.10.24, 08:53 AM   #11
easy

Those are cool truck fo shu! With that kind of articulation after a simple shock and such a low cost they will likely become the standard crawler in this scale until Kyosho and Iwaver step up to the plate.

Even if the plastic is not quite as good I doubt that will matter if people use them as low speed crawlers like you guys are. The other thing is most of us will make our own chassis meaning the the original plastic is even less of an issue.

DM

SSMT143 crawlers, the OL killers at 1/3 the price.
easy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.10.24, 11:09 AM   #12
DogbreathRacing
MINI-Z MONSTER GARAGE

Quote:
You've gotta shoot some video!
yeah we never rven thought of video yesterday, we barely got the pictures, we were having way too much fun!

Quote:
Even if the plastic is not quite as good I doubt that will matter if people use them as low speed crawlers like you guys are. The other thing is most of us will make our own chassis meaning the the original plastic is even less of an issue.
RCM and I have both had these trucks torn completely apart and RCM even built a chassis for his, but getting the geometry right was being a pain, and we both opted to run the stock chassis. With the cheap shock mod and that kind of articulation, we will probably stick with the stock chassis. The AA's add weight that is needed to keep those four clawing tires on the ground and they also provide much longer run times than switching to AAA's . The plastic was not an issue during out initial testing, in fact the trucks performed flawlessly.......we were totally amazed that something so cheap and simple could do what these trucks are doing

MR02RM, MR02MM, MZM,

Old 2005.10.24, 05:29 PM   #13
beanoman

Hey, I got one of these a few weeks ago.. Started to poke around in it seeing if i could make it full propo, and after seeing yours I had to do it yesterday. Stuff that was laying around was a Mini T reciever/esc unit, a xmod pot, and xmod aa lithiums. It worked out pretty good with nimhs, after I got the front end figured out. Then I bridged the top aa holders, and put the lithiums in the lower ones.. It was doing pretty long wheelies from a stop, but one of the gears in the drivetrain was starting to break. A bit later I hit a corner of a wall, bunged in part of the front of the steering because it was going pretty fast and I had left the front bumper off Seems to have bridged a connection, probly the wires going to the pot, and I may have fried the Mini T board.. I am going to look into fixing, because it is a great truck, for little money... Full propo lithium beast for something like $70. Everyone needs to have their own SSMT .

It was able to get over everything in my yard, and I havnt gotten a chance to lock the diffs or do any suspension mods.

Beano

Mini T board fits perfectly between the 4 screw holes for the top plate- just have to cut that apart and trim it. Chassis is still rigid.

beanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.10.24, 05:40 PM   #14
DogbreathRacing
MINI-Z MONSTER GARAGE

OK I will say it again....these SSMT trucks are best suited for LOW speed crawling, add more horsepower (Lithiums or hot motors and gearing) and you'll end up breaking things

MR02RM, MR02MM, MZM,

Old 2005.10.24, 05:52 PM   #15
beanoman

Hehehe, it was fun while it lasted. Definatly better off staying with nimhs, but if you dont jam the throttle.... Yeah, definatly worth it, lol. Preformed very well .
beanoman is offline   Reply With Quote