Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2016.03.05, 03:32 PM   #1
TFF9toes

Adjustment Resources

Hey guys, I'm completely new to the Mini Z game. Just got an MR03S 599XXX Ready Set, which came set up with the wide front and a mid-mount motor out of the box. I've searched online and maybe I just don't know where to look, but I can't find hardly any resources on adjustments, upkeep, and upgrades based on the style of driving I'm looking to do .(would love to make a drift build, however I'd still like to do some light circuit)

Does anyone have some go-to sites when looking for basic reading material for a newcomer such as myself? The main thing I'm looking for is how to change the wheel base to 94mm. I bought a Mazda RX-7 FD body, not knowing that the wheel base would need adjusted. I looked at the instructions included and I'm not the smartest man, but it felt straight from IKEA.

If anyone can give me any insight, help, or resources to read to help me gain a little more knowledge on the basics and lingo of Mini-Z, I'd greatly appreciate it!
TFF9toes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.03.05, 05:03 PM   #2
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
i would doubt you would find a site with as much experience as this one given it's been around since the beginning of Mini-Z. there are however other sites that do have some jems of knowledge on specifics. mini-zguide is a good example for great basics information however it is a bit dated.

the following link is a kyosho document illustrating how to change chassis configuration. it shows the mr-02 however the gist has not changed for the mr-03.

there are plenty of discussion threads on drifting here, some that even address RWD drifting. it's not easy and not very popular for the RWD mini-z to be used for drifting thus you will not find a great deal of info as most will simply skip to the AWD.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.03.05, 05:07 PM   #3
arch2b

managed to find the MR-03 version of the same file here.
Old 2016.03.05, 06:32 PM   #4
TFF9toes

Thanks for the help! Sadly, it looks like I'm going to need to buy a RM motor mount before I can use my RX-7 body. It may be a blessing in disguise, as now I can learn to properly drive the car before I go and mess it all up.

Doing some research, would I need to buy the whole rear end, or can I buy something like this

Last edited by TFF9toes; 2016.03.05 at 06:37 PM.
TFF9toes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.03.06, 06:31 PM   #5
Mike Keely

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFF9toes View Post
Thanks for the help! Sadly, it looks like I'm going to need to buy a RM motor mount before I can use my RX-7 body. It may be a blessing in disguise, as now I can learn to properly drive the car before I go and mess it all up.

Doing some research, would I need to buy the whole rear end, or can I buy something like this
That will work. Does the stock kit say that it comes with the T-bar that you will need for a rear motor pod? If not you will need to get the rear motor mount T-bar. I would recommend getting some graphite ones.

Last edited by Mike Keely; 2016.03.06 at 06:35 PM.
Mike Keely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.03.06, 06:54 PM   #6
xmodcanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFF9toes View Post
The main thing I'm looking for is how to change the wheel base to 94mm. I bought a Mazda RX-7 FD body, not knowing that the wheel base would need adjusted.
Unless Kyosho really cheaped out on spare parts with the sports series ready sets, you should have a RM mount in the box. And I'm pretty sure the RX7 is 90mm, which is still RM.
xmodcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.03.06, 07:23 PM   #7
gctkaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmodcanuck View Post
Unless Kyosho really cheaped out on spare parts with the sports series ready sets, you should have a RM mount in the box. And I'm pretty sure the RX7 is 90mm, which is still RM.
I don't have experience with the Sports series readysets, but I have purchased both MR-03 ASF chassis/body set and MR-03 ASF chassis-only.

The chassis/body set came with only the motor mount for the included body, while the chassis-only came with MM and RM mounts (I think - can't remember clearly).

As an aside, as far as I know, HM is only available separately or as the pre-installed mount for an included HM body.

I don't believe the RM motor mount comes with the longer T-bar needed, so that is something you might have to track down as well.
gctkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.03.07, 12:43 PM   #8
arch2b

the exploded view diagrams provide the part number associated with each part so you can identify which parts kits are needed.
Old 2016.03.08, 03:59 AM   #9
herman

Looks like everything has been covered... For additional info try the Official kyosho support page... Hope this helps...

http://kyosho.com/eng/support/instru...niz_index.html
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.03.25, 08:20 AM   #10
KWT

Kyosho has just release the updated motor mount kits with MR03 T-bars. Make sure you order the correct one or you will have to get the T-bars seperately.
KWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.03.25, 09:04 AM   #11
arch2b

what is different with the 'updated' motor mount kit than before? i assume it is that it includes the appropriate T plate...
Old 2016.03.26, 05:34 PM   #12
KWT

-MZ156

Motor case set HM type (for Mr-03)
MZ156
* Is "MZ154 motor case set (Mr-015 highmount)" to the end of production.

-MZ215

Set the motor case/mm type (for Mr-03)
MZ215
* See MZ204 motor case set (MR-02/MM type) is to the end of production.

-MZ216

Set the motor case/RM type (for Mr-03)
MZ156
* See MZ210 motor case set (MR-02/RM type) is to the end of production.

-MZ305

LM type of motor case set (for Mr-03)
MZ305
* "MZ301 motor case set (LM type) will be discontinued.

Last edited by KWT; 2016.03.26 at 05:41 PM.
KWT is offline   Reply With Quote