Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2018.05.14, 07:35 PM   #1
akura2
PROFESSOR TRUTH JIMMY ICE

Send a message via Skype™ to akura2
How far can you go with a Sports2?

Same as title... since it is getting hard to find ASF-based Mini-Zs, but Sports and Sports2 are abundant... how far can you take a Sports two with the limitations of the stock board? (although I can get an ASF board from Banggood at a later date if I desired)

I just bought one because I couldn’t pass up the price and I’m getting back into Mini-Z... (just got an MA-020ve Pro drift set with the Mazda body and the gyro to build off of... Already changed to the Audi and added rubber tires) I wanted to get a ‘stock’ Mini-Z to race in the local stock class... but I also wanted a platform to build from once I see what the local racers are running so I can build to match...
Old 2018.05.14, 08:45 PM   #2
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
Pn 70t 12/52 pinion... 4.75 ratio.
Old 2018.05.15, 01:24 AM   #3
akura2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMU View Post
Pn 70t 12/52 pinion... 4.75 ratio.

I could eventually swap in an ASF board though right? (Either original or Banggood)
Old 2018.05.15, 01:29 AM   #4
EMU
EMUracing

Yup, easy swap in... Kyosho really complicated things with the sports. ASF can pretty much handle any 130 motor (with proper gearing)... and sports was a step back to the early AM days. Actually, I think the AM cars had a higher tolerance. I wouldn't buy a sports unless I needed one to participate in a stock class race.
Old 2018.05.17, 04:16 PM   #5
akura2

Quote:
Yup, easy swap in... Kyosho really complicated things with the sports. ASF can pretty much handle any 130 motor (with proper gearing)... and sports was a step back to the early AM days. Actually, I think the AM cars had a higher tolerance. I wouldn't buy a sports unless I needed one to participate in a stock class race.
That’s the reason I got it... stock class 90mm... but I wanna use my KT-18... so I’m thinking about swapping out... but I may not have to if I’m only going 70t...
Old 2018.05.21, 12:45 AM   #6
herman

I ordered the banggood 2.4ghz board and hope to convert a 27mhz mr015 or mr02. Hope my soldering skills are good enough for the job. Will just have to know which wire goes where.
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.05.21, 01:00 AM   #7
akura2

Quote:
Originally Posted by herman View Post
I ordered the banggood 2.4ghz board and hope to convert a 27mhz mr015 or mr02. Hope my soldering skills are good enough for the job. Will just have to know which wire goes where.

Well there are several diagrams and photos to show the way the wires go... and if you have a small tipped soldering iron that gets hot enough... you should be ok...
Old 2018.05.21, 05:40 PM   #8
TPDazzle

I have and have raced 3 mini-z Sports. (Two S-2 and One Sports). Contrary to what a lot of people report, I have not had a bit of electrical problems. One of my cars has a hard time getting into reverse sometimes which can be frustrating. I participate in HFAY racing and run the PN 70 T motor in all three cars ( I do abide by the gearing recommendations from the Kenon Website). I don't think the controller is much worse than the KT-18, try it a bit and see what you think. Be careful about what kit you buy or you will have to buy and swap a bunch of parts to get into a 90mm class. Might as well get what you want to drive to begin with and be ready to roll.

That said, I find the sports series extremely frustrating. I recently decided I wanted a nicer radio, but I didn't want to pay a bunch of money for a Flysky or Kyosho 432 just to run the same limited board. I also wanted to run in a modified class and also have access to higher gear ratios if I wanted. I ended up buying 2 DasMikro boards (around $43each on Banggood) and buying a new EX-6r. I love the new radio compared to the KT-19, but it was annoying to have to buy EVERYTHING. I am keeping one stock with the stock radio for a class that I race in occasionally. I am no expert, but the soldering was not bad. Sorting out some kind of jig to hold the wires and/or board when you solder really helps. I used a rubber tipped quick clamp to hold the board, and small alligator clips to hold the wires. Good Luck!
TPDazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.05.21, 06:40 PM   #9
akura2

Well, the reason I want to use my KT-18 is that you can't adjust the throttle trim on the KT-19 and my PN70T has too much drag brake... I'd like to be able to dial the trim for more 'coast'...
Old 2018.05.21, 07:12 PM   #10
EMU
EMUracing

I love drag brake... but, with 70t, it can be a bit much. Especially when you cannot adjust throttle trim or expo... I always run a positive curve on slow motors.
Old 2018.05.23, 12:30 AM   #11
akura2

Quote:
I love drag brake... but, with 70t, it can be a bit much. Especially when you cannot adjust throttle trim or expo... I always run a positive curve on slow motors.

I like drag brake too... but a light drag brake... right now when I let off the throttle the back end of my car just whips around... I DID put another 70t motor in it today and it seems to coast a little better than the other so I might be ok for now... I have to get it to a track to do some real testing

Too bad tracks are getting so scarce around here (SoCal)
Old 2018.09.05, 07:47 PM   #12
mugler

actually a RWD question vs Sport but couldn't find a RWD dedicated thread.

Is there any known remedy/techniques/tips for a RWD with massive reverse delay?
Bought a RWD & FWD simultaneously and the FWD has flawless reverse operation but RWD has a massive delay...full disclosure I haven't set time aside to try to diagnose and was hoping for a short cut answer
mugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.09.06, 10:49 AM   #13
SuperFly
bitPimp

I haven't done this first hand, and because I'm Mac and iPhone based, I'd have to borrow some equipment, but... I believe you can adjust the reverse delay on a Windows or Android device via I.C.S. cable. I'm going to borrow the cable and a laptop from a fellow club member and give it a try. The reverse delay on the MR03VE is particularly long, to the point it's almost better to ram your car forward into the rail in hopes that it will bounce off hard enough to get going again rather than waiting for reverse to be available.

This might not work for Sports, though. Might only work for ASF cars. Not sure about DasMikro ASF boards. I have two of those boards myself.

Here's a couple links:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cgi2jTObGm0

http://www.rcteam.cz/clanky22/20130916BTprogMiniZ.php

mini-z gallery

PDX Mini-Z
SuperFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.09.06, 02:55 PM   #14
EMU
EMUracing

Have you tried adjusting the throttle trim on the rwd? Maybe you are near the end of the reverse window...
Old 2018.09.06, 05:51 PM   #15
mugler

@Superfly
thanks for the info I have all the ics equipment but the new RWD boards do not work with those ...they are basically not adjustable at all from the info I received from members here and that makes me not want to test to verify on my own at the risk of frying the board, lol.

@EMU
Yes i did play with throttle trim quiet a bit to make sure that wasn't the cause. Next time I'm going to set the trim to zero first and rebind, maybe that will do it...I don't even know where the trim was at the time of binding car & radio as i adjusted it after binding.
Another issue with both radios (rwd & fwd) was they kept getting set back to training mode almost every time i turned them off and on again, will have to look into that too. I have a feeling one needs to be careful about having two radios on when one car is being turned on, vice versa & etc (basically making sure radio is on before the "corresponding" car is turned on)... I was pretty sloppy operating them...will look into it all more carefully and report back with results
mugler is offline   Reply With Quote