Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2006.05.04, 08:27 AM   #1
Spoon
DCGTG FET Guy

Strip Paint

I painted a 360 body for our GTG body class and I don't like the results.

The color is awesome. see
but after just a couple of races the paint is chipping off the front. see here.

I think it has something to do with the metallic paint. All of my other paint jobs seem to "rub" off, this one flakes off.

I could just redo the bumper in black or something, but I think I am going to start over.

What do you guys recommend for stripping the paint?
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.05.04, 09:26 AM   #2
Draconious

Send a message via AIM to Draconious Send a message via Yahoo to Draconious
A link I found a few months ago: http://www.bonediggers.com/1-3/strip/strip.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon
I painted a 360 body for our GTG body class and I don't like the results.

The color is awesome. see
but after just a couple of races the paint is chipping off the front. see here.

I think it has something to do with the metallic paint. All of my other paint jobs seem to "rub" off, this one flakes off.

I could just redo the bumper in black or something, but I think I am going to start over.

What do you guys recommend for stripping the paint?
Old 2006.05.04, 09:37 AM   #3
Spoon
DCGTG FET Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconious
A link I found a few months ago: http://www.bonediggers.com/1-3/strip/strip.html
It looks like Castrol Super Clean Degreaser (CSC) is the way to go. Good link.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.05.04, 09:43 AM   #4
Draconious

Send a message via AIM to Draconious Send a message via Yahoo to Draconious
Yes since I found the link I noticed a bottle of that stuff sitting in the garage, and I have a body here that could use repainting .. been tempted but too lazy, and maybe I can fix the paint on the Lightning model I messed up.
Old 2006.05.04, 10:37 AM   #5
soyverde
Hack Job Driver

The great thing about using degreaser (I use Mean Green), is it is very much set and forget. You could probably leave the body soaking in it for days without doing much, if any, harm to the plastic, as you're essentially soaking it in an industrial-grade detergent mix.
soyverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.05.04, 11:03 AM   #6
ARN

but then dont it stink forever of mean green or simple green?....
i used polly S ELO, but it requires a little elbow grease....

i found its just easyer to throw the bad paint job away and buy a finished body...
ARN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.05.04, 11:51 AM   #7
soyverde
Hack Job Driver

Not that I've noticed, of course by the time you've rinsed all the degreaser off, dried it, and repainted it, you're more likely to smell the paint.

It's always easier to just buy a new autoscale, but then it wouldn't be a custom body...
Old 2006.05.04, 11:58 AM   #8
ARN

right!, but it just sucks when your work doesnt turn out...

another point is just lightly wet sand and paint over...

all in all, its much better to leave painting to thoughs who do it well....
it has taking me many fail attempts to realize that

if i do paint any more, i just do one color only....seems to workout when i dont try to do anything fancy....

my biggist problem is dust...i cant seem to get a dust free place to paint...
infact the only place i have to paint is the garage or outside...and outside is certin doom.....

dang things attract to wet paint like flys on dung
ARN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.05.04, 01:33 PM   #9
soyverde
Hack Job Driver

No argument there...I need a new garage door before I can ever expect to get a clean coat on. I just try to do enough light coats that it isn't so noticeable. Besides, half of it is going to get scraped off at the next GTG, so that takes away from some of the worry (I have yet to try arch's future polish method, and the last clearcoat I did flaked right off). It's still fun, though (on the rare occasion that I have time for it), and maybe some day I'll move up to an airbrush, at which point I could possibly bring it inside...wife permitting.
Old 2006.05.05, 08:26 PM   #10
HammerZ
Master of Thrash

Send a message via MSN to HammerZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon
It looks like Castrol Super Clean Degreaser (CSC) is the way to go. Good link.
I have used the CSC on the Kyosho white bodies. Works well if the paint used was Testors paint. Anything else is stubborn to get off. It would not hurt the plastic, but be sure to wash the body well to get any off in the tough spots. If you have the tinyest bit someplace when you repaint it would eat that spot off quick.
Old 2006.05.05, 10:26 PM   #11
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
i really enjoy painting bodies. it's not rocket science and i am far from patient when it comes to these things. most if not all my jobs have been completed in hours or under a day. it just takes a steady hand, close eye on masking/paint, light coats and the acceptance that it will get damaged unless you intend it to be a shelf queen of which i have a few.

i also use a hair dryer to quicken the drying process inbetween coats of paint. just keep teh heat away from the body.

the future polish looks like glass when you get it right. it's really a matter of practice and knowing how much to keep on the brush. it works well and chips rather than scraping or flaking off. best part of it, it's cheap and the bottle will last you a lifetime.

i have never tried repainting a body. if you find it works well, let me know as i have a failed custom f1 body job that i just neve could throw away and i would like to redo it after stripping the paint.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.05.06, 06:28 PM   #12
fluffydawg

I have used in the past a no name pine sol to strip the paint. do you know if you can get that color in a lexan paint as I would love to paint my nitro evader body that color. or even pass on the color number etc for the paint if you are able to.

Thanks
fluffydawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.07.30, 07:02 PM   #13
Hammer
Mini-Z Electrician

I’ve been trying to find some Castrol Super Clean Degreaser to strip my (previously white) Enzo body after a small problem using Tamiya tape with a particular Tamiya TS Lacqure.
It seems as though Castrol Super Clean Degreaser has recently dissapeared from retailers shelves, in Califorina anyway. Does anyone have information regarding where I might be able to purchase some?
Old 2006.07.30, 11:34 PM   #14
DogbreathRacing
MINI-Z MONSTER GARAGE

Send a message via AIM to DogbreathRacing
probably the easiest solution to the problem with your 360GTC body is to lightly sand the front lip (to get it smooth again) then paint the front lip black (flat, satin, or gloss is your choice). This way you save your paint job, it will still look cool, and if you chip the black you can fill it in week to week with a black sharpie marker to hide the chips. A good five or six coats of Acrylic clear coat after the new paint will help it last, just let it dry a couple days before use.

MR02RM, MR02MM, MZM,
Pro-Pulse Pro T-100 1/18 4X4,
Associated Team Factory RC18B with MAMBA 56K

DogBreath's Magical Mystery Album
DogbreathRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.07.31, 02:05 AM   #15
Dusty Weasle
Here kitty, kitty, kitty

I ran into the disappearing Castrol thing too. I found the exact same bottle at Ace Hardware. The only difference was Castrol was no longer on the bottle, it was otherwise identical.

That stuff is great for stripping paint. Just don’t try it on an Autoscale, nothing short of sandblasting and chisels will break through.
Dusty Weasle is offline   Reply With Quote