Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2004.07.23, 05:38 PM   #1
jeep_tj_05

4x4 Ol

ok i have seen 4x4 kits for Xmods...so im thinkin...there has gotta be a way to make a OL 4X4....anyone tryed it?
jeep_tj_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.07.23, 05:50 PM   #2
davkin
Master of My Mini Domain

It would not be a simple proposition and would require changing the stock electronics out, since you would need a standard servo and two motors. First you need to use two complete gearboxes, including the motors, then the challenge becomes steering. The simplest way is to turn the entire gearbox, which has it's limitations, esepcially for rock crawling. The best way but most technically challenging would be to make knuckles and U-joints and adapt them to the stock OL gear box. I'm sure it could be done, but I don't beleive it would be worth the effort unless you absolutely have nothing better to do. Again, keep in mind, you can't run two motors with the stock ESC, so you need a whole new set of electronics, anything designed for an 1/18 scale car/truck ought to power two 130's fine.

David
Old 2004.07.23, 06:02 PM   #3
Maximus

yes it can be done like davkin said with the entire gearbox turning to see this check out this thread http://forum.aceboard.net/p-4529-1398-16951-0.htm its in french but you should be able to find the video
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.07.23, 09:29 PM   #4
Stoovey

I absolutely have nothing better to do. I'm working on finalizing my design for u-joint adapters to be used with the stock steering knuckles on the Monster OL. I've got all the parts I think I need, including the extra gearbox and servo for turning the knuckles. I'm sure I need some minor parts, like screws or something. Then I need to design a custom chassis, as this will be a true rock crawler setup. I am moving into my new house in October and then I'll have a proper work area. Until then, you will all just have to wait...
Stoovey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.07.23, 10:53 PM   #5
jeep_tj_05

sounds great, im thinking of a tiny gecko chassis..hmm...and use the steering idea from the french website(even though i really shouldnt be using FRENCH ideas... ) and then run the monster tires on it....might work i just gotta work out the electronics issues.
Old 2004.07.24, 02:00 AM   #6
TNB
Pet Human

It seems like you have been reading a few of my posts and looking at photos of my overland.
Old 2004.07.24, 03:55 AM   #7
kokopelli

Quote:
davkin:
Again, keep in mind, you can't run two motors with the stock ESC
why ?? I run my 4wd OL for over 4 months with 2 stock motors and stock ESC (from a MR01) and it already run great... don't worry, you can do it like this

Quote:
jeep...etc.etc...:
and use the steering idea from the french website(even though i really shouldnt be using FRENCH ideas...
I was affraid of thinking that there's unopened mind guys only in my country.....thank you for undeceiving me, jeep

Last edited by kokopelli; 2004.07.24 at 04:00 AM.
kokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.07.24, 10:21 AM   #8
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
koko- it happens here as well sorry for that.

i would think this 4wd setup would be eaisr to do using the french cf overland chassis kit
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.07.24, 10:57 AM   #9
davkin
Master of My Mini Domain

Quote:
why ?? I run my 4wd OL for over 4 months with 2 stock motors and stock ESC (from a MR01) and it already run great... don't worry, you can do it like this
Well, you've just been lucky I guess. The stock ESC isn't rated for the kind of amp draw. You are doubling the amp draw, an X-speed doesn't even come close to doubling the amp draw and that's the hottest recommended motor to use without a FET upgrade. As they say everyone's mileage will vary, some get away with it some don't. I ran monster size tires on my OL and never blew the ESC even though it has happened to others. So, run two motors on one stock ESC at your own risk and good luck.

David
Old 2004.07.25, 01:24 AM   #10
jeep_tj_05

koko,just because i think the french always got their panties in a wad and the spanish are a bunch a girly men(thank you arnold for that quote) doesnt mean im not open minded.... ...im very open minded to my own views...like someone said...everyone is entitled to my opinion god bless american where crazy right wing republicans like me can live!
Old 2004.07.25, 01:26 AM   #11
jeep_tj_05

on another note, i just bought a TLT with many mods but i think i will still do the 4X4 OL using the french idea. It looks pritty good to me but im thinking once i start this project i will end up with a no wheel drive broken overland its happened before.
Old 2004.07.25, 02:03 PM   #12
kokopelli

Quote:
dakvin:
The stock ESC isn't rated for the kind of amp draw. You are doubling the amp draw, an X-speed doesn't even come close to doubling the amp draw and that's the hottest recommended motor to use without a FET upgrade
that's what kyosho said, in order no to be responsible of ESC damages I think
here, we are four users of stock ESC running 2 stock motors for few months, and no problem (for the moment ) and whenever I burn it, I will make a fet upgrade at the moment....
here, some say that there's 3 differents qualities of Z ESC (depending of localisation building of each), I don't know if is truth... perahps we're simply lucky users

Quote:
jeep:
just because i think the french always got their panties in a wad and the spanish are a bunch a girly men(thank you arnold for that quote) doesnt mean im not open minded....
travelling is a good means to open your mind , don't listen about what others say (that's want to say : if I had to listen to what some guys say about american people, I would not speak with you at all )
as I was lucky to well known US, I know that it is not true, and I'm not bringing here poor french quotes that will hurt you, you understand me ??

Quote:
jeep: ess american where crazy right wing republicans like me can live
that's a good example, here,nobody think that politicians could change nothing for a country, they don't care about people, they just care about their own interests and business (jeep, I was sure that everybody knew that, are you the last optimistic man on earth ?? )

Quote:
Arch:
.koko- it happens here as well sorry for that.
no problem arch, I guess it's the same member that try to make you speak french on minizone.net LOL

see you guys
Old 2004.07.25, 03:12 PM   #13
jeep_tj_05

ah tiny R/C cars, france, politicians, all in a fourm about making a R/C car 4x4...what a country!