Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2005.10.26, 09:21 PM   #1
dogred
dogred

Custom Max 4x4

I have Taiyo Custom Max 4x4. There are a few upgrades that Taiyo made for it, wheels, springs and motors. I am currently going to do some major mods to it as far making it a speedy little hill jumper or maybe a Rally car. This thing has some power to it, I can drive it reverse and throw it into forward and it will do a huge wheelie, it really needs some wheelie bars.
I was just wondering if anybody has heard of this model?
custom max
dogred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.10.27, 01:22 AM   #2
Twenty-Se7en
Rockin Da Z

Send a message via MSN to Twenty-Se7en
What scale are they in? The bodies would be sweet on the MZM or Overland... or even a slammed version for the MR-015, MR-02
Twenty-Se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.10.27, 06:22 AM   #3
dogred
dogred

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogred
I have Taiyo Custom Max 4x4. There are a few upgrades that Taiyo made for it, wheels, springs and motors. I am currently going to do some major mods to it as far making it a speedy little hill jumper or maybe a Rally car. This thing has some power to it, I can drive it reverse and throw it into forward and it will do a huge wheelie, it really needs some wheelie bars.
I was just wondering if anybody has heard of this model?
custom max
I do not know what scale they are in, but I have some pics.
rear
right side
left side
The batteries are AAA, it uses 4 of them.

Last edited by dogred; 2005.10.27 at 06:28 AM.
Old 2005.10.27, 06:42 AM   #4
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
it looks like a bastard copy of a monster with overland bodies. being 4wd would lend it to some nice modding for a much better quality rc possibly. i really look forward to seeing what you do with it?

how much do they cost? i happen to like the red h2 and red racing land cruiser
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.10.27, 07:45 AM   #5
dogred
dogred

I believe I paid 3000 yen or around $30. I am thinking of turning it into a rally car. Still don't know what I want to do with it. The chasis does not have enough articulation to turn it into a crawler. I think almost any motor will fit into it. I was think of starting off with the atomic mods rechargable battery upgrade. I was also thinking of getting a stiffer suspension and the optionof some smaller wheels just incase I feel froggy enough for road running. I originally bought it to chase around my daughter at the park.
Old 2005.10.27, 03:43 PM   #6
ripper7777777

This looks similar to what Toysrus has, the 1/24th Superslick, allthough this looks a little better.
ripper7777777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.10.27, 08:06 PM   #7
akura2
PROFESSOR TRUTH JIMMY ICE

Send a message via Skype™ to akura2
Now if THEY can do 4WD...why can't Kyosho?
Old 2005.10.27, 08:07 PM   #8
akura2
PROFESSOR TRUTH JIMMY ICE

Send a message via Skype™ to akura2
is it propo? (probably not)
Old 2005.10.28, 12:49 AM   #9
easy

Is it 4x4 though? I can't tell from those pics. Its not that Kyosho can't do 4x4 its why would they since you guys and everyone else buys the RWD OL and MZM? If people stopped buying those and bought these and the superslicks instead and modded those you can be damn sure there would be 4x4 OLs and MZMs on the market in a hurry. As long as people keep buying what Kyosho offers there is little incentive for them to change what they offer.

DM

SSMT143 crawlers, the OL killers at 1/3 the price.
easy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.10.28, 01:14 AM   #10
dogred
dogred

I do not understand what you mean by propo.
Yes it is 4wd, it had a selector switch, so it can run in 2wd or 4wd. I will take a pic of the front diff tomarrow. It has a cover along with the rear diff.
Old 2005.10.29, 06:43 AM   #11
dogred
dogred

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogred
Yes it is 4wd, it had a selector switch, so it can run in 2wd or 4wd. I will take a pic of the front diff tomarrow. It has a cover along with the rear diff.
Here is a pic of the body just sitting on the chasis. It will sit a little higher for proper operation of the wheels.
body
Old 2005.10.30, 09:09 AM   #12
davkin
Master of My Mini Domain

Quote:
I have Taiyo Custom Max 4x4. There are a few upgrades that Taiyo made for it
That looks like it actually has some potential.

Quote:
This looks similar to what Toysrus has, the 1/24th Superslick, allthough this looks a little better.
Which looks similar to the MZM. This one does look better though, mainly because it doesn't steer by turning the whole front axle. That and lack of suspension is what kept me from buying the 1/24 SS MT. This one might be worth looking into though, but like he says, not as a crawler, maybe a high speed racer.

Quote:
Its not that Kyosho can't do 4x4 its why would they since you guys and everyone else buys the RWD OL and MZM?
I agree. I for one have stopped giving Kyosho my hard earned $$$, but I'm in the minority. Seems like so many people buy whatever Kyosho shoves onto the market. Look at the new Mini-Z 4WD, another half-a$$ed design IMO but everybody is saying they are going to buy one. I thought Iwaver would wake them up and give them some real competition but Iwaver quality has been just horrid. So far Kyosho has no real competition in this market.

Quote:
propo=proportional which means the throttle and steering act proportionately to your input at the controller. Most toy controllers are basically just switches, they are on or off, proportional allows you to steer partially or drive slow. For $30 it's highly unlikely that toy is proportional. If it is it's probably just a few steps rather than full proportional.

David
Old 2005.10.30, 04:34 PM   #13
ripper7777777

Quote:
Originally Posted by davkin

Which looks similar to the MZM. This one does look better though, mainly because it doesn't steer by turning the whole front axle. That and lack of suspension is what kept me from buying the 1/24 SS MT. This one might be worth looking into though, but like he says, not as a crawler, maybe a high speed racer.

No doubt Toysrus was copying the MZM, and it's an OK truck for 30 bucks, but I think it would make a better 4wd offroad racer than anything, just not enough ground clearance or articulation, but the steering is on knuckles.

The thing that impressed me with the SuperSlick MT 1/24th is some of the parts, like nyloks, metal knuckles, nice rims, good tires, very well done for toy grade, just not a very good trail rig, but I bet fixed up it could easily out perform an MZM on a loose sandy track.

and I to have stopped giving kyosho my cash, I picked up several SSMT 1/43rds and plan to build my own fleet of OL killers.

Come on Kyosho, time to step up.

So how can we get our hands on this rig?
ripper7777777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.10.30, 05:04 PM   #14
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
and that is whats so great about modding takign something and making it better
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.10.30, 08:55 PM   #15
dogred
dogred

The front end is a very compley unit. The car is not propo. The rig I have, the ends of the axles are half moon shaped, with little nuts that hold them on tight. Is this the same for the mini-z's? I would really like to get some smaller rims.