Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2019.12.08, 01:24 PM   #1
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
McLaren P1 GTR

McLaren P1 GTR

More images HERE.

Materials:
Krylon Gloss black
Rustoeum Bright Coat Chrome
Tamiya TS-47 Chrome Yellow
Tamiya TS-44 Brilliant Blue
No decals this time!

I had a personal request for a non-livery P1 and personally selected colors to integrate into a livery and pulled from a long search online to find a suitable style. As I am not accustomed to non racing livery paint jobs, this one took a bit of getting used to so to speak. It's actually not far off from racing livery layout actually.
A tough part was planning order of operations in laying out the paint layers lightest to darkest color while maintaining the white border stripe. I was afraid peeling that mask tape off at the end would lift paint but turned out OK. Tamiya paint runs thin and there were leaks however they all ran on the white stripe so all I had to do was go back and scrape out some paint with an Xacto at the end to clean up the lines. The P1 has a ton of curves and body lines which were tricky to mask off sell. Lots of tiny places as well to push tape back into and hope it stuck. Turned out well overall and look forward to doing a few more P1's.

arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.12.08, 01:29 PM   #2
KWT

Turned out great.
KWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.12.08, 03:46 PM   #3
SuperFly
bitPimp

Wow, that's super nice. Not sure if it's lack of decals, but that seems like the cleanest paint job you've done. All the colors look perfect. Heh, I'm very familiar with how the complexity (and opportunity for problems) increases exponentially with additional colors and layers, and it looks like you stuck the landing, 10/10.

No clear coat?

mini-z gallery

PDX Mini-Z
SuperFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.12.08, 04:33 PM   #4
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
3 coats of clear floor polish. I've been burned too many times with rattle clear coats.

It's interesting how what should be a simpler build actually takes more effort.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.12.08, 04:36 PM   #5
SuperFly
bitPimp

I ruined one car with rattle can clear, and will never do that again. Noting worse than destroying something in the very last step. I usually use clear floor polish as well, but sometimes use Tamiya acrylic gloss clear.

mini-z gallery

PDX Mini-Z
SuperFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.12.08, 06:23 PM   #6
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

Very Nice, Ray....it only needs a number 14 on it and its Fernando Alonso's personal P1.

my custom body album...
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/album.php?albumid=192
cowboysir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.12.09, 11:49 AM   #7
soulstice

Looks great Ray! looks like an official autoscale!