Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2001.12.22, 08:00 PM   #1
Sm0lders
Mini-Z F1 Racer

Send a message via ICQ to Sm0lders
The Ultimate Mini-Z F1...

Hey guys, I want to upgrade my F1, I wanna upgrade it bad

What tuneparts should I take ?, it totally stock now but I allready got a ballbearing set and a wheelnuts set

Well I what should I take ? wich balldiff ? wich motor ? etc ...
Sm0lders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2001.12.24, 01:14 PM   #2
Sm0lders
Mini-Z F1 Racer

Everything should be top, grip, motor etc.
Old 2001.12.24, 08:44 PM   #3
Sm0lders
Mini-Z F1 Racer

Mini-z please reply my email ! important !
Old 2001.12.24, 09:59 PM   #4
mini-z
Administrator

Sorry mate, I'll get right on it!
mini-z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2001.12.27, 01:19 AM   #5
ruf
4play

tires: GPM foam or Kyosho 30
diff: Kyosho ball
motor: Xspeed
damper: GPM

Then buy as many springs and ladder bars as you can find and tune to your hearts content. Squeeze in a small turbo as well. Make sure you follow the tips on tweaking the ladder bars so that the car steers and slides equally to both sides.

Oh yeah,
radio: KO Mars + RF103A module...
Mini-Z World Champions!
Reflex Racing Blog
Reflex Racing YouTube
ruf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2001.12.27, 06:03 AM   #6
Sm0lders
Mini-Z F1 Racer

Thnx ruf
Old 2001.12.30, 01:03 AM   #7
ruf
4play

pic of my setup

Mini-Z World Champions!
Reflex Racing Blog
Reflex Racing YouTube
Old 2001.12.30, 04:58 PM   #8
Sm0lders
Mini-Z F1 Racer

I like it
Old 2002.01.04, 03:28 AM   #9
herman

Quote:
Originally posted by ruf
Oh yeah,
radio: KO Mars + RF103A module...
so how's the ko mars propo? what are the features? and how many model memory does it have? how much would the am module cost? can you really set the brakes to an abs setting for the mini-z? i've seen one at the track and i'm quite curious about the other functions that you can set....

thanks for any additional info
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.01.04, 09:32 AM   #10
ruf
4play

herman - I replied to you on the other thread. The KO Mars has 10 model memory. The Limited edition of it has 20 model memory but you cannot find those anywhere except ebay for a ridiculous sum of money. I don't think they are worth it. The 27AM module can be found for a little over $40. We have one sitting in our shop right now. ABS is useless except for offroad gas cars with very powerful throttle/brake servos. Feature wise, there's a ton of stuff, but main thing is the ability to manipulate throttle and steering curves linearly and non-linearly. Ultimately like I mentioned before, the purchase of a high-end radio is one of personal taste and fit. They all have features and adjustments out the kazoo, too many in fact so that's really not an issue. It has to be comfortable in your hand or it's just not the right one. The KO also has an optional drop kit for the wheel that extends it outward a little and lowers it quite a bit. A lot of people prefer this position whereas I do not. Personal taste.
Mini-Z World Champions!
Reflex Racing Blog
Reflex Racing YouTube
Old 2002.01.06, 09:01 PM   #11
herman

master chen, many thanks for your reply... what settings in the mars have you programmed for your mini-z?
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.01.07, 01:21 PM   #12
diego50
"Always Present"

Karting Style

After trying many kinds of setups on my Mclaren F1, I came to the conclusion that there is just TOO MUCH suspension travel in the front. This tends to LIFT the inside REAR wheel, causing the car to spin.

My solution was to eliminate... yes, that's right, ELIMINATE suspension movement. I did this by installing shaved down wheel bushings in place of the stock springs. Then, in the rear, I cut a piece of an old rubber tire and wedged it in front of the motor mount top plate. This effectively remove ALL MOVEMENT in the suspension, ala go karts.

The result? Handling like a true F1 car!!! Laptimes are lower than that of a more hopped up touring car! As a matter of fact, the track record was set (unofficially) with this car, despite not having a turbo!

Even with totally bald soft compound tires, the car is not only driveable, but still very competitive against more experienced drivers.

Another mod that added to the pleasure of driving the F1 Mini Z is the addition of GPM's NEW larger diameter/low profile sponge tires. Steering is more precise, but not overly aggressive and traction is AMAZING!

If anyone gets a chance to try this setup, please let me know how it works out for you. =)

For pics, go to: http://www.connecticutspeedway.com And go to the TECH TIPS section

Specs:
Mini Z F1- Mclaren (David Coulthard)
Motor- Kyosho X-Speed (9 pinion)
Tires- GPM large diameter/low profile sponge
Suspension- NONE (solid)
Bearings
GPM Ball Diff
Batteries- Energizer ACCU Rechargable
Controller- Perfex EX-11

More HP to all!!!
diego50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.01.07, 03:03 PM   #13
ruf
4play

herman - no need for the "master" stuff.

I use the L/R EPA, Steering curve, Throttle curve, Brake HiPOT to adjust how the car reacts.

diego50 - interesting mods you have done to your F1. Just using the stock springs, I was able to drift the car around our asphalt track but I needed the 30 tires to do it predictably. It's fun to watch a 2000-era F1 drive like a 1980-era car! Now I use hard springs all the way around including the GPM rear damper.

What are the dimensions of your track? It looks huge! We are building a 12'x16' Ozite track and it feels a little small but with stock motor it should be just right. Mod motor and turbo was ok (sometimes not enough) for 100' straight, but it is WAY too much for such a small track. I was expecting our track to be WAY bigger than most others, but your track makes me feel humble! I think making people stay with stock power (in the rules) will be a good thing. Driving skills and line selection will become more important than in our other classes. Do you have any track construction tips?
Mini-Z World Champions!
Reflex Racing Blog
Reflex Racing YouTube
Old 2002.01.08, 04:15 AM   #14
diego50
"Always Present"

The track at Connecticut Speedway used to measure 51 square meters. But, they recently added a second level as the main straight.

With my "kart" setup, I could drift the car very easily, even with bald tires! For rubber tires, the 30 degree, F/R work well. Its very balanced and predictable.

With the new GPM foams, the limit of traction increased to another level! You will be able to hold the throttle down longer and corner with more speed when compared to the rubber skins. Plus, the performance will last MUCH longer than with the rubber tires. The Kyosho softs just wear out too quickly and have a very short useable life.

More HP to all!!!
diego50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.01.08, 05:10 PM   #15
ruf
4play

Yes I read that it was ~50 square meters, but I wanted to know the X-Y dimensions. Looks pretty big! What do they use for track borders and dividers?

As for the Kyosho 30 tires, I'm almost bald with mine, but I think that they would still give good traction since they are solid rubber all the way through. I would be surprised if they heat cycle and once the tread is worn off, I would think that they would grip even better. How is it that they have short life? That is unless you are going by FIA rules regarding tread depth of grooved tires! hehehe

The foams are definitely interesting but the rubbers have so much traction on Ozite that I really don't see a need to have another "must upgrade item" for this class. I really see this class as a step back from the ultra-competitiveness of other classes in regards to dumping money on hopups and tires. I really hope for it to be a real test of driver skill and line selection instead of a tuning/power chase.
Mini-Z World Champions!
Reflex Racing Blog
Reflex Racing YouTube