Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2003.11.20, 07:58 AM   #46
neurokinetik

Re: Well Done!

Quote:
Originally posted by miketre
Congrats!

Be careful when you slap in the hottest motor that you can find, as the tracks of the PCB might give way if the motor is too hot. Other forum members have said that 1.5A - 2A is the limit on the Mini-Z PCB. (the Xmod's PCB may have a different limit)

Do post pics of the final board. Would the board be easier to fit if the FETs are laid flat?

Does your CAT5 cable hold up well? Mine tend to break when bent too many times.

Sorry... too many questions
Well, since the add-on board is handling all of the current, I don't need to worry about what the stock ESC board can handle. The stock ESC is only telling the MOSFET board when to turn on.

The revised board will be smaller. Judging by the area that actually is soldered, I can make the board itself about 1 inch by 1 inch. Laid out the way they are now, the FETs will not fit in such a small area, but with some creative thinking, I think I can minimize the amount of space the whole setup will take. I do have to leave a little room if heatsinks are to be added to the FETs, which would be necessary for ultimate performance. The plan is to lay the FETs flat.

No issues with the CAT5, but then again, I'm pretty used to working with the stuff.
neurokinetik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.11.20, 01:24 PM   #47
miketre

Re: Re: Well Done!

Quote:
Originally posted by neurokinetik
Well, since the add-on board is handling all of the current, I don't need to worry about what the stock ESC board can handle. The stock ESC is only telling the MOSFET board when to turn on.
Actually, it might still be a concern as the path from the battery to the Source of the FET is via the PCB...
miketre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.11.22, 03:22 PM   #48
neurokinetik

Good point. The traces on the XMod board are pretty decent size, though. I could easily beef them up with solder or by adding jumper wires.

Here is a pic of the second revision, along with pics showing it in the car. I switched to stranded CAT5 for the connections this time, as it is much more flexible and easy to position in the chassis.

Last edited by neurokinetik; 2003.11.22 at 03:25 PM.
neurokinetik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.03.11, 01:09 PM   #49
gasman1

Send a message via AIM to gasman1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJS-TF

Does anyone know where these can be found cheaply without going overseas?
gasman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.03.11, 02:26 PM   #50
Cobra427

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman1
Does anyone know where these can be found cheaply without going overseas?
why would you want them? those are the stock fets, if you are going to get new ones, get better fets. you can find them on this site and some others.
Cobra427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.03.11, 04:34 PM   #51
gasman1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra427
why would you want them? those are the stock fets, if you are going to get new ones, get better fets. you can find them on this site and some others.

I know what they are. Thats what I want. Faster isn't always better. what other site?? I've found postings here but no solid links to where you can get them. Kyosho still puts them in their cars but you can't seem to get them any where.
Old 2005.03.14, 02:32 PM   #52
Cobra427

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman1
I know what they are. Thats what I want. Faster isn't always better. what other site?? I've found postings here but no solid links to where you can get them. Kyosho still puts them in their cars but you can't seem to get them any where.
i can get you one, i just got another z and one of the fets is toast but the other is in good shape.

Another idea is to go to a site that does fet modding and email them asking for the fets they take off of working z's, most of them will probably be able to help you out.
Cobra427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.03.14, 03:31 PM   #53
gasman1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra427
i can get you one, i just got another z and one of the fets is toast but the other is in good shape.

Another idea is to go to a site that does fet modding and email them asking for the fets they take off of working z's, most of them will probably be able to help you out.

Thanks for the offer. I have emailed some of the upgraders but havn't had any luck yet
Old 2005.03.17, 12:02 PM   #54
ruf
4play

How many do you need? They are made by Hitachi/Renasas, and I believe they are the 3004R now. I just threw one of the stockers away yesterday. Oops. I'm doing FET board builds now so I will probably have 2 stock FETs in this weekend if you still need them.

Do you need them for the PN race? I have one stock board saved away just for that! If you want, I can swap you a stock board for a FET board.
Mini-Z World Champions!
Reflex Racing Blog
Reflex Racing YouTube
ruf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.03.17, 12:34 PM   #55
gasman1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruf
How many do you need? They are made by Hitachi/Renasas, and I believe they are the 3004R now. I just threw one of the stockers away yesterday. Oops. I'm doing FET board builds now so I will probably have 2 stock FETs in this weekend if you still need them.

Do you need them for the PN race? I have one stock board saved away just for that! If you want, I can swap you a stock board for a FET board.
I was looking for the extra fets. what do you want for them?
Old 2005.03.17, 05:05 PM   #56
ruf
4play

How many do you need?
Mini-Z World Champions!
Reflex Racing Blog
Reflex Racing YouTube
Old 2005.03.17, 06:57 PM   #57
gasman1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruf
How many do you need?

How many do you have? How much for them?
Old 2005.03.18, 11:50 AM   #58
ruf
4play

Well I saved them from the one board I did last night. I've been either stacking on top of them, or trashing them when I remove. How many did you need? I can start stockpiling them...
Mini-Z World Champions!
Reflex Racing Blog
Reflex Racing YouTube
Old 2005.03.18, 01:28 PM   #59
gasman1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruf
Well I saved them from the one board I did last night. I've been either stacking on top of them, or trashing them when I remove. How many did you need? I can start stockpiling them...
I guess about a dozen if they are in good condition.