Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2014.03.08, 10:57 AM   #1
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

PN printed "dsm2" board for mini-z

Hey everyone,

I'd like to get a sense of those members who've had success using this board.

I recently purchased this board to get a neighbor of mine into mini-z. He has a DX2S which says it is DSM2 compatible and I plan on purchasing a DX3E (also DSM2 compatible) to keep the car as a loaner when not being used by my neighbor.

1. firstly, it arrived with no servo pot and motor assuming i had the neeeded skills and materials to swap these parts in. Luckily I did (since i am a Z hoarder) and was able to configure the items for MR03 operation. Had I not had these items I would be very upset if I purchased a $100usd board and had to then buy seperate items once I found out the board was not ready to install.

2. For the life of me I have not been able to get the bind procedure to complete. I have followed the Spectrum specific bind procedure (I've had Spectrum for larger scale for at least 8 years now so its not my first rodeo) and have not been successful at getting the bind link.

My question for other members:

1. Did anyone else get a raedy to install item or was their purchase requiring elements of self install?
2. What radio are they using in the DSM2 lineup?
3. Did they get a successful bind?

My worry at this point is the "DSM2 compatible" radios are not along the same lines as higher spec radios that are specific DSM2 and Ive wasted $100 on a project that will not reach completion.

my custom body album...
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/album.php?albumid=192
cowboysir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.03.08, 12:24 PM   #2
lfisminiz
MINI-Z BODY NUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysir View Post
Hey everyone,

I'd like to get a sense of those members who've had success using this board.

I recently purchased this board to get a neighbor of mine into mini-z. He has a DX2S which says it is DSM2 compatible and I plan on purchasing a DX3E (also DSM2 compatible) to keep the car as a loaner when not being used by my neighbor.

1. firstly, it arrived with no servo pot and motor assuming i had the neeeded skills and materials to swap these parts in. Luckily I did (since i am a Z hoarder) and was able to configure the items for MR03 operation. Had I not had these items I would be very upset if I purchased a $100usd board and had to then buy seperate items once I found out the board was not ready to install.

2. For the life of me I have not been able to get the bind procedure to complete. I have followed the Spectrum specific bind procedure (I've had Spectrum for larger scale for at least 8 years now so its not my first rodeo) and have not been successful at getting the bind link.

My question for other members:

1. Did anyone else get a raedy to install item or was their purchase requiring elements of self install?
2. What radio are they using in the DSM2 lineup?
3. Did they get a successful bind?

My worry at this point is the "DSM2 compatible" radios are not along the same lines as higher spec radios that are specific DSM2 and Ive wasted $100 on a project that will not reach completion.
Hi,
1. just got the board. I just swapped the K.O board out of car and put the Spektrum in.
2. I got the DX4S
3. If i remember right....
Put batteries in. (car)
Turn power on. (car)
Turn radio on.
Go to bind mode in radio. Start bind proceedure.
Shortly radio and car light should be solid and ready to go.
I know it took me a couple trys and help to i fugured it out. Hope this helps.

DG DESIGNS - PN RACING - MANTISWORX
lfisminiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.03.08, 01:09 PM   #3
miniznewb

I had also just swapped my board into a running ko car so I had all the parts needed.
I did have trouble binding it. I sent it to kenon the got it all fixed up bbc o charge and sent it back to me no charge
miniznewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.03.09, 01:55 AM   #4
DanDan

Quote:
I don't understand your statement, the syntax seems invalid. I have two replies for you, hopefully one will be an appropriate response.

The DSMR radios like the DX4S/R are backwards compatible to both DSM and DSM2. I use a SR300 (original DSM) receiver with my DX4S with no problems whatsoever.

I find my DX4S to be just as programmable as any KO Radio I've owned. The UI also matches the KO in ease of use IMO...but I feel that is a subjective topic, depending on user preference some may like the KO UI over Spektrum and vice versa. Feel in the hands is also a subjective topic, but I like how my DX4S is much lighter and less bulky than the EX-10

I got to try out a Spektrum equipped Mini-Z this week. One of the people who uses the track at my store was kind enough to let me drive his car for a few minutes. The response was very smooth (more so than my ASF equipped car) on both steering and throttle.

Hint: If you have issues with the transponder, wire it directly to the battery terminals. Problem solved
Old 2014.03.10, 12:57 AM   #5
art4242

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDan View Post
I don't understand your statement, the syntax seems invalid. I have two replies for you, hopefully one will be an appropriate response.

The DSMR radios like the DX4S/R are backwards compatible to both DSM and DSM2. I use a SR300 (original DSM) receiver with my DX4S with no problems whatsoever.

I find my DX4S to be just as programmable as any KO Radio I've owned. The UI also matches the KO in ease of use IMO...but I feel that is a subjective topic, depending on user preference some may like the KO UI over Spektrum and vice versa. Feel in the hands is also a subjective topic, but I like how my DX4S is much lighter and less bulky than the EX-10

I got to try out a Spektrum equipped Mini-Z this week. One of the people who uses the track at my store was kind enough to let me drive his car for a few minutes. The response was very smooth (more so than my ASF equipped car) on both steering and throttle.

Hint: If you have issues with the transponder, wire it directly to the battery terminals. Problem solved
Actually it was my PN Spektrum car that Dan drove. Dan - thank you for checking my car out, as well as for all of the other setup tips and advice getting me started.

It was humbling to watch as immediately within the first few laps he knocked more than a few tenths off my fastest lap time, but as least I know that my car is ok and it’s just the driver that needs practice.

In response to the original questions:
1. I knew that no servo motor or pot was included with the board before I purchased, it is pictured this way on the Kenon web site image. I think that not including a pot and servo motor may have also been mentioned in one of the other posts by PN.
2. I am using a DX3C.
3. I was able to bind successfully after several tries. It was somewhat finicky, I think there was sensitivity to the timing between the moment I turned the car on and the moment I hit the bind button on the transmitter.

As for other tips - before installing the board I replaced the battery and antenna wires with thicker gage ones, the ones supplied seemed very thin. I also had some transponder issues running plugged into the ICS port, at one track it was fine but at another it would work only for a few minutes with a freshly charged set of batteries. This was with an I-lap transponder. Wiring the transponder directly to the battery fixed this.

I for one am glad that PN developed this board. I bought my first MR-03 literally a week or two before the PN Spektrum board came out. As I did not want to go full out on a higher end KO transmitter before I knew what I was getting into, I started off with a basic KT-18 transmitter. When I decided to upgrade, instead of being forced to go for a higher end KO radio that was only usable mainly with Mini-Z’s, for about the same price I bought the PN board plus a $99 DX3C (which has a great feature set for the price). The best thing is that I can use the DX3C with my other Losi Spektrum cars as well.
art4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.03.10, 03:20 AM   #6
tudor_47

U need to put the ESC/Receiver board into bind mode by pressing the button on it at powerup, then you start the radio and select bind, this should bind your receiver to the radio. Mine worked at first try. Running A DX3R radio.

Get a P28

Our new track at MiniZata Were we race My P28
tudor_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.03.10, 02:52 PM   #7
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

Quote:
Hey everyone,

I have been able to have an email conversation with philip and we are in a warranty replacement stage...

My thanks to Tudor for telling me something I have been aware of for quite a while...like i said it's not my first Spectrum use.

As for DanDan, you were able to pinpoint my question exactly.

Spectrum has 2 types of DSM2 radios. The higher models are whats called DSMR which apparently is DSM2 specific and can bind DSM Rx's. The lower models are DSM sport which states in the literature as "compatible with dsm, dsm2 and marine Rx's". My question was does the PN printed board require DSMR radios or are they compatible with all dsm2 functioning radios...

I received word via email from Philip that any dsm2 radio should bind with the PN printed board.

Thanks again for those who've chimed in on their PN board usage....it seems like I've had the same issue as miniznewb and the problem will get rectified.

my custom body album...
Old 2014.03.10, 06:21 PM   #8
lfisminiz
MINI-Z BODY NUT

Good to hear. Philip (PN) will take care of it. I ran with miniznewb Sunday and all was good.

DG DESIGNS - PN RACING - MANTISWORX
lfisminiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.03.25, 06:06 PM   #9
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

I thought I'd chime back in with an update:

1. I have to thanks Philip and the PN/Kenon crew for a quick turnaround on the check and upgrade of wiring to the DSM2 board i mailed back for confirmation of the bind issues!

2. I must at this point confess that I was missing the final step on my buddy's DX2s radio and when i thought i was on the bind page I actually needed to scroll one last time to highlight "BIND" then press the scroll bar.

That admission over with (and suitably chastised for being an idiot) I am happy to report that the DSM2 MR03 will get finished being built tonight!

my custom body album...
Old 2014.04.02, 12:21 PM   #10
PNracing

Send a message via AIM to PNracing Send a message via Yahoo to PNracing Send a message via Skype™ to PNracing
The Android ICS apps download link
http://pnracing.us/download/PN-ICS-Android-V1.0.apk

http://www.pnracing.com
http://PNWC.pnracing com
DownloadPNICS ICS Android Apps for ICS Setting
PNracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.04.02, 12:48 PM   #11
TheSteve
VE7FM

Will you also be posting it to the Play Store?
TheSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.04.02, 01:24 PM   #12
briankstan

is the PN App only for the PN boards? Does it work with the ASF boards as well?
Old 2014.04.02, 02:02 PM   #13
briankstan

got the answer from PN f******k post, this app is only for the PN printed boards.

Last edited by mleemor60; 2014.04.02 at 02:50 PM.
briankstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.04.02, 02:58 PM   #14
PNracing

Send a message via AIM to PNracing Send a message via Yahoo to PNracing Send a message via Skype™ to PNracing
the apps only for PN board with Bluetooth adapter.

Google Store link https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...m.pnracing.ics

http://www.pnracing.com
http://PNWC.pnracing com
DownloadPNICS ICS Android Apps for ICS Setting

Last edited by PNracing; 2014.04.02 at 06:00 PM.
PNracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.01.21, 07:32 PM   #15
mini-cam
PDXminiz.com

I recently aquired a PN DSM2 board and love that I can use my spektrum radio with it. The only problem I am having is adjusting enough brake into the unit. I have the brakes up to 100 on the radio and full 85 on the ICS adjustment. Even the drag brake is at full. Running a 50t PN motor it is a rocket but trying to get it slowed back down for the 180 corners usually ends up in a push after after a high speed section.

Is there another step for the esc to learn what full throttle and full brake is??? I can only find info on how to bind the Board and Radio but setting endpoints it just seems to learn on it's own??
mini-cam is offline   Reply With Quote