Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2004.02.09, 06:27 PM   #1
Paradigma

help, fets and running time?

hi, I am asking the experts on fets such as drac, BJS TF, MR E, or anyone who are experienced in the fet upgrade. I ran all these fet upgrade with xspeed, 7t pinion and sanyo twicell 750mah
*Stock PCB (MR01) was not very fast, and the running time was 25 minutes.
*2X5 irf 7389 on MR01, it was definitely an improvement on stock, and strangely, the running time has also increased by little compared to stock, I could get up to 30 minutes
*2X13 irf 7389 on MR01 and it was very fast for me, the running time was about 23 minutes.
*I've tried different fets, and installed 2X3 SI4562dy, It feels even faster compared to 2X13 7389. However, the running time has suffered a lot, I only managed to get up to 15 minutes.

ON MR02, also with xspeed, 7t and sanyo twicell 750mah:
*Stock PCB (MR02) was faster than stock MR01, the running time was also a little bit longer than stock MR01, I could get up to 30 minutes.
*I tried 2X1 4562, it was quite fast, and the running time was decreased by little, it can run for up to 25 minutes
*Now I ve just upgraded to 2X2 4562 and I am quite happy with the speed, but I ve also suffered running time, it can only run for 17 minutes last night.
*A friend of mine who tried BJS TF suggestion to install 2X 3004, plus 3004, and on top 7389 (total of 4X3004 plus 2X7389 on top) on MR02 is actually has a good speed (not as fast as 2X4562, but close), but this combination is the best to my experience, the running time was very good, he did not time it, but I was already changing batteries while he was still accelerating fast.

Sorry for the long post (I couldn't find the running time issue in the forum), but I want to share the fet upgrade that I ve tried and I am still looking to find better combination. So BJS-TF, drac, MR E or anyone, if you don't mind sharing your experience, do you have any other fets (or fets combination I should try), maybe mixing 3004 with 4562. I am looking for a combination of a good speed and decent running time cause here in my area the race is usually an endurance race for up to 1 hour and changing batteries too often would be a disadvantage.
Thanks
Paradigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.02.09, 07:40 PM   #2
Draconious

Send a message via AIM to Draconious Send a message via Yahoo to Draconious
if you send more power to the motor through the fet, its gota come from some were... and only place power comes from is the batteries, the power in the batteries determines the run time.... if you drink your beer in 10 seconds, then you only get to enjoy it for 10 seconds, take your time drinking it, you get to have it longer ... but sigh, most ppl just open another one lol...
Old 2004.02.09, 08:45 PM   #3
PhatCat

Send a message via ICQ to PhatCat
Quote:
if you drink your beer in 10 seconds, then you only get to enjoy it for 10 seconds, take your time drinking it, you get to have it longer ... but sigh, most ppl just open another one lol...
... and this is why I have 3x sets of the Rayovac IC-3 800mah batts so I can just "open another beer" when I run out of the first one With three sets, I always have one in the charger and can play all day long at my local track without having to worry about down time ... not like I'd have to wait long anyways since its a 15min charger but still ... hehehe.

BTW, I have an MR-02 with a 2x2 FET stack of the SI4562DY series chips and run an S03 motor with an 11t pinion and get about 15-20 min of run time on our local mini-z track as its more of a technical track than speed so I'm not on the throttle full speed very much and spend a lot of time slowly turning my car around after I've spun out in a corner ... lol
PhatCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.02.09, 11:21 PM   #4
herman

that's kinda odd...

for the stock mr01... on really good cycled batts... i can get anywhere from 30-45 min run time, if i'm lucky, maybe up to an hour... (that's for 700 mah batts)...

for the mr01 3x2 7389 fets.... it's a little lesser run time,
for the mr01 5x2 7389 fets.... a whole lot lesser run time maybe 10-30 min tops...

to get the most of your batts, you have to cycle them at least 3-5 times, to get the max potential... how do you charge your batts???

i just use the powerhaus charger (simple fast charger approx 45-1hour charger)...

above run times are just my experiences...

Last edited by herman; 2004.02.09 at 11:36 PM.
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.02.09, 11:54 PM   #5
Ken Mifune
2-Z or not 2-Z...

MR-01 w/bearings

My 2x3 7389 on top of the stock 3004 with a 7t X-Speed runs 35-40 min. on 650mAh.

edit- That's running on an RCP Wide-L

Last edited by Ken Mifune; 2004.02.09 at 11:56 PM.
Ken Mifune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.02.10, 12:00 AM   #6
Draconious

Send a message via AIM to Draconious Send a message via Yahoo to Draconious
I will add that 15 mins is kinda short even with fets... so its probly your charger not fully charging the cells... or poor cell quality... or something... along that line. It could also be the way you drive, if your constantly going and stopping, and not holding yoru speed, the acceleration from 0-full speed will drain over twice as much power as just holding the same speed for the same amount of time, and obviously drains more power than coasting... full throttle all the time is not a good idea... gota learn when u can get away with just rolling...
Old 2004.02.10, 01:48 AM   #7
PhatCat

Send a message via ICQ to PhatCat
This is true Drac but let me qualify my statements a bit more. I get 15-20 min of run time at FULL speed before my batts start to dump on me. Now they don't dump all at once but its enough to annoy me as my track is not "flat".

The track I run on is a carpeted 4in. slot car track and so its multi leveled and quite fun but once your batts start to dump, you really notice it on the elevated streight and turns so rather than deal with it, I just throw in a new set of batterys.

Drac is also correct in his statement that having to accel from 0 to full speed often does take a lot more out of your batts than coasting a lot and well the track (being it was a slot car track) is quite technical and so I am constatnly on the trigger of my controller (which by the way drains the batts on my controller quite quickly as well ... hehe).

Just figured I would let you guys know as I used to get a good 30-35 min of track time when I used to drive my car on our 1/18th scale track before we built the "mini-z" track and as you can imagine a track made for HPI Micro's, it was quite big for my little car and I used to get a lot of long streights I would just coast my way thru

Last edited by PhatCat; 2004.02.10 at 01:51 AM.
PhatCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.02.10, 09:24 AM   #8
Paradigma

thanks for the quick responses guys. I am using tekin charger and i charged it at 1000mah and it takes about 30 to 40 minutes before it stops charging.
I know what you mean by I could probably using poor quality cell, but still, when the same cell is used by my friend who got BJS TF style fet configuration, it still has a lot more running time (probably 2 times longer)with only the cost of slightly slower car. Should i probably try different combination because before the upgrade to 2X2 4562, I got more than 25 minutes both stock or 1X2 4562.
Thanks once again guys for the replies.
Paradigma is offline   Reply With Quote