Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2019.01.31, 01:57 PM   #46
mugler

The fastest lap time posting would reveal what the lowest possible lap time is for each layout which by itself makes for an additional entertaining nugget to look forward to when results are posted...but correct, ultimately best average lap times is the winner and counts the most.

Posting bodies taps into the core essence of Mini-Z and chassis being the main ingredient would be good to see on the result sheets for quick reference, both of these seem they'd be pretty easy for race directors to record and submit.

Last edited by mugler; 2019.01.31 at 01:59 PM.
mugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.01.31, 02:33 PM   #47
TyGminiz

Hey Chad, Thanks for the input. Glad to have you.

Thanks Paul, Great input. We'll see what we can do. Your doing great, keep after those consistent laps like you say. But keep havin fun moddin.

I love Blaine's Next Level timing system because you can see your consistency increase as he has a method of tracking your laps one to another to see if you are being consistent. It was something built early on to help us stay fast lap after lap, not necessarily the fastest laps, but lap after lap consistency... give it a try. Find it on our PDX mini z webpage.

Blaine is working on a few things presently. These ideas are great. But it will take awhile to implement. Since we don't want anyone posting the actual laps until i post the whole group at the end, we can sure post your best times in the forum. And feed off each others setups. But keep the total laps you completed off of the forum as just knowing someone hit a mark makes you work harder and creates a disadvantage for the one posting the laps, capiche?

arch2b, yup, agreed. Yes for sure, 100 is the goal for a number of us now. Quite an achievement without modding the car much.

Counter clockwise sure isn't for everyone. Glad they still participate CW.

Mugler, good input. Like i mentioned above, feel free to post your fast laps for each racer, or just for your club. Yes, with a little math that is also telling what is possible. You can also look up the HFAY website and look at trials to see what speeds are capable. The trials are 50 laps, so figure out the top average. Albeit old info, it still gives a target. For example, Hood from Mini z AZ, did 50 laps in 4:23. The way i figure it, that is an avg of 5.26 seconds / lap. That's pretty fast. Pretty hard to string together fast laps under 5. There's going to be a 2 second bobble somewhere.

Chassis are listed, but bodies would be fun and interesting. Again, Blaine is working on a lot, so this may take a bit.

Great to have so many on the board and on the track. Great input. thx.

Last edited by TyGminiz; 2019.01.31 at 02:43 PM.
TyGminiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.01.31, 03:17 PM   #48
briankstan

I have always struggled with the Counter Clockwise direction. I easily have a 10 lap drop going that way. Funny thing is I never have a problem with it on my larger scales, or maybe it's there and I just don't know because we never raced clockwise when I raced larger scales.

for most of the HFAY tracks achievable fast laps can be high 3.7's to Low 3.8's. and runs can very depending on the track but the most I've ever hit on a track has been 119 in 8 minutes officially, and I hit 120 once in a practice run. you have to average a 4 sec lap to hit the 120 mark.
Old 2019.01.31, 06:55 PM   #49
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
Quote:
Originally Posted by mugler View Post
The fastest lap time posting would reveal what the lowest possible lap time is for each layout which by itself makes for an additional entertaining nugget to look forward to when results are posted..
depends on how much you value that data. I don't place much value to fastest lap as far to many times the holder either didn't finish, didn't win or didn't place well overall. countless times a slower person has gotten lucky with fastest lap only to play p****** the rest of the time. just my opinion but i know many others seem to love and cherish/revere this stat so i can understand the interest in seeing it.

I uploaded my chassis. it's not stock by any measure but for the most part simply replaces plastic bits with alloy. Its simple to setup, tweak and maintain and service (this is why i choose the bottom PN steering kit to allow easy cleaning of the gearbox without taking the rest of the front end apart). i switched over to the 2.5 the year it was added to HFAY rules. since we still run HFAY class (not HFAY tracks), i don't plan on changing it (only change has been to swap to EVO board). it still remains my most comfortable car to drive and most predictable. basically my favorite driving car out of all i own besides my stock car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7164.jpg (98.9 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7165.jpg (96.6 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by arch2b; 2019.01.31 at 07:02 PM.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.01.31, 09:14 PM   #50
SuperFly
bitPimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by arch2b View Post
depends on how much you value that data. I don't place much value to fastest lap as far to many times the holder either didn't finish, didn't win or didn't place well overall. countless times a slower person has gotten lucky with fastest lap only to play p****** the rest of the time. just my opinion but i know many others seem to love and cherish/revere this stat so i can understand the interest in seeing it.
The other thing I think about fast laps on smaller tracks is that the differences in times are probably within the margin of error on the transponders/bridge reading. When you're looking at 1/100th of a second on a sub-5 second lap, it could come down to how transparent your windshield is. Sometimes when we have our bridge right after a corner, you get faster times on the inside, sometimes registering a lap before entering the turn.

mini-z gallery

PDX Mini-Z

Last edited by SuperFly; 2019.01.31 at 09:17 PM.
SuperFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.02.01, 05:35 AM   #51
MTseo

Quote:

I uploaded my chassis. it's not stock by any measure but for the most part simply replaces plastic bits with alloy. Its simple to setup, tweak and maintain and service (this is why i choose the bottom PN steering kit to allow easy cleaning of the gearbox without taking the rest of the front end apart). i switched over to the 2.5 the year it was added to HFAY rules. since we still run HFAY class (not HFAY tracks), i don't plan on changing it (only change has been to swap to EVO board). it still remains my most comfortable car to drive and most predictable. basically my favorite driving car out of all i own besides my stock car.
I do understand where you are coming from with the people that have the fastest lap. And to be honest that is probably where my driving skill level is right now, trying to push too hard. Not that I have the fastest lap, but I do find it hard to keep my lap times consistent, though I am getting better. But on the other hand it would be interesting to see the fastest lap times of the people pushing the 100 lap mark. Are you guys running consistent 5 second laps and never brush the wall? Or are you running 75 laps at 4.3 and brushing the wall a few times to bring the average down to 5 second laps. That is what I find myself being curious about.
Old 2019.02.01, 06:46 AM   #52
arch2b

To get 100+ laps you need to stay off the walls or be able to glance off them. My goal in that regard is to finish without touching the walls naturally. Some days were better than others not uncommon to happen though and the top guys almost never touched the walls and are robotically able to hit a line over and over and over. It’s a wonder to watch really and i’ve Seen it done with high end cars and rather stock cars so not entirely car dependent either. I’ve been thoroughly wiped before by a better driver with a box stock car (beetle at that). As humbling as it is, it’s also fascinating as it proves the best tool for a race is the driver. Consistency takes practice and effort, unless your naturally gifted driver. I’ve seem them before, it’s a rare species but some people can just pick up a radio and drive with relatively little experience.

My club has years of video of HFAY races on our YouTube channel and almost always in the top 5 with 1-2 people. My goal was to get into top 10, still not easy to do when there was 50+ contestants.
Old 2019.02.05, 03:30 PM   #53
mugler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFly View Post
The other thing I think about fast laps on smaller tracks is that the differences in times are probably within the margin of error on the transponders/bridge reading. When you're looking at 1/100th of a second on a sub-5 second lap, it could come down to how transparent your windshield is. Sometimes when we have our bridge right after a corner, you get faster times on the inside, sometimes registering a lap before entering the turn.
Very good general point with any IR system & I noticed on all track layouts the loop position has also been mapped out mostly not on the slower/slowest sections of the track which would cut down on false readings. Also we had an unusually low lap time of 3.2xx seconds by a novice racer...after taking a closer look we figured the lap was registered when his car hit the corner-tile rail on the other side adjacent to the loop ( clockwise before entering straightaway)... short of moving the loop from original location angle adjustment of the sensors or a blind of some sort can be a cure in similar situations.
Old 2019.02.05, 03:54 PM   #54
mugler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTseo View Post
I do understand where you are coming from with the people that have the fastest lap. And to be honest that is probably where my driving skill level is right now, trying to push too hard. Not that I have the fastest lap, but I do find it hard to keep my lap times consistent, though I am getting better. But on the other hand it would be interesting to see the fastest lap times of the people pushing the 100 lap mark. Are you guys running consistent 5 second laps and never brush the wall? Or are you running 75 laps at 4.3 and brushing the wall a few times to bring the average down to 5 second laps. That is what I find myself being curious about.
There is always good tuning information (specially gearing) to be harvested form the fastest laps of the faster/fastest drivers & its a good idea if available to check their fastest lap to make sure it's not too far off (a fluke) from their top 3-5 to confirm you're looking at good data. for example comes into play If an experienced driver thinks he had a really good & clean run on his go to set up but finds he's still 10 laps short of the fastest posted results then that would probably mean he needs to go back and figure out his gearing or tires ( one of the bigger categories). Beyond that the more info posted on setups makes the fastest laps more valuable...if a racer is 4 tenths off of the fastest times he can set a goal to get closer to 2 tenths off next race which would mean he improved his package and hopefully overall result. when it comes to average lap times top 5,10.15 are very useful but overall average time may be skewed due to lengthy bubbles or fluke fast times the former being much more of a factor.
Old 2019.02.05, 07:15 PM   #55
arch2b

There are transparent security films available that can block unintended lap counts from adjacent lanes. you also may need to adjust sensor spacing and height from the track.
Old 2019.02.05, 10:10 PM   #56
mugler

Quote:
There are transparent security films available that can block unintended lap counts from adjacent lanes. you also may need to adjust sensor spacing and height from the track.
Both good ideas ... hadn't thought of the security films but we were half discussing making adjustments to the bridge including height.
Old 2019.02.06, 02:49 AM   #57
BladeSling

Hello everyone!

I'm the one who has just uploaded the times for everyone. I posted up race 1 and 2 and thought you would be interested in the results!

https://nextleveltiming.com/championships/3

With the number of people participating I finally added a way to upload times so it was much quicker than the manual entry I did in the past. Yay! But it would be great if everyone could verify their times imported correctly.

Race 3 and 4 I'm hopeful I'm even less involved, meaning I would like everyone to attempt to post their own times. Most of the clubs submitted excellent HFAY formats that are supported for the import.

To post your times for the next races please do the following

Registering for the Championship
- If you don't have an account for NextLevelTiming.com yet, register to get an account
- Verify your email. Check your spam if you don't receive very soon after you have signed up. (mark as not spam if you find in spam to help out others in the future)
- Create a community on the website
- Register your community for the How Fast are You Championship. As of this post we are on season 27. You should see a large green button saying "register community", select that and then select the community you wish to register.
- Wait for an email response from HFAY that your community has been accepted to join the championship.
- Once you have been accepted you can post race results!

Posting Race Results
- Login to NextLevelTiming.com
- Find your club on the community page and click it
- In the left side navigation click "Races"
- Find and click the big green button that says "post race results".
- Select the championship round you wish to upload results for
- Upload your race results in CSV format
- After you have reviewed the results, click "post race" at the bottom of the page
- A confirmation that it was successful should appear if you have done everything properly and you can either post more results or view the results you have posted again.
- Your race results will only be visible to your club members until the championship round ends on the 4th of the following month of the round.

I enjoy feedback but I will have to prioritize requests. If the HFAY community wants to prioritize their highest priority request(s) it will make it easier for me to choose what to do next.

Last edited by BladeSling; 2019.07.30 at 11:25 PM.
BladeSling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.02.06, 02:57 AM   #58
BladeSling

I forgot to mention, since the clubs don't have a way to modify their community pages at this time the following options are available to be changed if you email me.

- Community name
- URL on community page
- Community URL (https://nextleveltiming.com/communities/your-club-here)
BladeSling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.02.06, 08:23 AM   #59
TyGminiz

We are double checking things. Looks like Mugler's 100 got dropped to the bottom for some reason. We are still working out some bugs guys, so thanks for your patience. This may resort the positions, sorry to get your hopes up with present scores. Hang tight, we'll get it right.

This may actually make it a tie for first presently. And it appears there is a 5 way tie for 4th, but when we reset Muglers time, it may change this.

Club leaders, please double check your clubs times and laps. Notify us of any changes necessary.

It is great to have 39 racers participate (even if some only doing clockwise or counterclockwise). We are super excited of course to see Mugler hit the 100 laps, the first in HFAY of 2019 to join the Century Club. Congrats.

We are also encouraged to see everyone mid pack and those just starting. We can't wait to see what even your newest racers will grow to over the season.

Be sure to get registered on the Next Level Timing website and we'll want you to upload your times when you can so we can work through any challenges this month. Copy me this month as well so we can double check things before month end.

But remember not to post any laps or times on FB or here until March. Post them to Next Level, just no where else. When you don't know, you will try your hardest. Pdx Mini z is done for Feb, so it won't affect us.

Sounds like if we were to take the ideas batted around, the next couple features we collectively would like added to Blaines software, would be adding the fastest lap, as well as car info. We will see if these can be incorporated over the next few months. It take a ton of time to do even the smallest amount of programming, and Blaine has HOURS invested already. So if he can do these sometime, great, otherwise this improvement of being able to add our own times will have to do for awhile... and this will be a huge deal for all involved. Simpler faster. Thanks Blaine for this ability. We look forward to whatever the next addition brings... when it arrives.

Congrats everyone to an outstanding January run. I know we've got another club joining in Feb. This is going to be a great series, because you are all here.

Ty

Last edited by TyGminiz; 2019.02.06 at 08:40 AM.
TyGminiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.02.06, 03:32 PM   #60
mugler

Thumbs up

Wanted to thank the PDX crew for all the effort & time they're putting in to not only keep the series going but also make it better ! 39 racers and a new club joining in is just great. Here's hoping that eventually most other established track/clubs will also decide to run the HFAY rounds in addition to their own racing programs.