Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2013.01.28, 03:15 PM   #31
gctkaz

Yeah but that's a MRCG. Sky's the limit with those, right? Kind of?

The eBay link to the motor got filtered. Just search for 2mm brushless motor on eBay and that one will come up.

Here's another project for you, Derek. Try finding a faster servo that fits the RS32 dimensions, because the SH-34 is way too slow and has tons of torque instead of the other way around. The Losi micro 3-wire servo looks like a good fit, but uses an hex spline. Possibility of gear swap?

Also, a drop-in coreless motor for the RS32 would be nice too. Battery life should also improve as a nice side-effect.

Finally - have you ever disassembled the 2.4GHz radio that comes with the Losi micro? There is something that looks like a kind of daughterboard doubleside-taped to the main PCB, connected by only 3 contacts. Is there any chance this thing could be removed and turned into a Spektrum module? Would be really interesting if it turns out the inputs are serialized on the mainboard and the daughterboard handles the radio communications.
gctkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.01.28, 06:10 PM   #32
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

I'd suggest talking to TheSteve about your radio questions. He might have an idea...

The motor that goes in the rs32 seems to be the same size as Losi's micro t motors. That's my first choice for brushed setups for the 32.

The Losi micro BL looks like a direct swap as well but will require a redesign of the electronics layout.

We'll see how it goes...looks like ill be able to finish Ryan's F1. Shapeways stuff arrived today!

my custom body album...
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/album.php?albumid=192
cowboysir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.01.29, 10:33 PM   #33
gctkaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by gctkaz View Post
Here's another project for you, Derek. Try finding a faster servo that fits the RS32 dimensions, because the SH-34 is way too slow and has tons of torque instead of the other way around. The Losi micro 3-wire servo looks like a good fit, but uses an hex spline. Possibility of gear swap?
Sorry to hijack your thread, Derek. I am working on this one.
Today I picked up an Hitec HS-55 from Martin at Golden Horizons. After cutting the side tabs off, it dropped right in, almost a perfect fit. The RS32 servo horn also fits the HS-55 spline perfectly, so it's *almost* the best I could hope for. I had desolder the cable from the SH-34 and transplant it into the HS-55, but all in all it's a great fit. I think the SH-34 cable uses a JST-SH (1.0mm pitch) connector, so maybe I can try picking up some bits so I don't need to render any servo completely useless.

The HS-55 is noticeably faster than the SH-34 so I don't oversteer coming out of turns so much, and I don't need to 'predict' the turn entry quite so much. Still, at 0.17s/60deg@4.8V, it's slower than what we're used to with Mini-Z, and compared to a Corona DS-919MG which I have on hand at 0.07s, I would still like to get this a bit faster. Unfortunately the DS-919MG is too large to fit, otherwise the specs are totally sweet.

I might go back to GH tomorrow and get an Hitec HS-56HB or HS-5056MG which are roughly the same size but almost 30% faster and give it another try.

edit: maybe I will stick to the HS-55, the operating current draw is much lower than the HS-56HB although the data source is not official. This car's battery is so tiny that I can't really spare any extra energy expenditure.

Last edited by gctkaz; 2013.01.30 at 12:07 AM.
Old 2013.01.30, 01:12 AM   #34
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

do you happen to know how the hs-5055mg compares to the other servos you list? I have one of those sitting around...i had thought it'd make a nice servo for this application but i'm wary of cutting the case.

i think I'll be ok for draw rate because i'm hoping the body i have coming will give me a tiny enough wheelbase change to fit some losi li-po's i have (or a reconfigured 4.8volt Losi pack) I don't expect to get more than 5 minutes from it.

BTW, I don't mind this chat here, geoff. It's fun to hear like minded modding in this racer world we hang around in.

As a sidenote, I am almost finished the fab work for a rear wing holder for Ryan's F1. I'll test durability this weekend to see if it'll hold up to the driving in our club. (means i park it and hit it with another car from the rear, right dave?)

my custom body album...
Old 2013.01.30, 01:32 AM   #35
gctkaz

The HS-5055MG is basically a digital, metal geared HS-55, and likewise for HS-56HB vs HS-5056MG. Same speed, same dimensions, a little bit more torque and weight, and I guess a lot more durability.

The casing for yours looks the same as mine, so real easy to cut, just push hard with an X-acto a few times, maybe cut out a few wedges to give yourself more space as you go down. It will be an improvement over the SH-34 for sure, but maybe the lack of servo speed hasn't bothered you as much as it did for me.

The reason I didn't list the 5055 initially is simply due to it having the same speed as the 55 and I already bought the 55 to test the water, but it should be a decent upgrade. If you want to hold off on cutting your case, I might get the (50)56 after all, and if I like it then I can let you have this 55 which is already cut, although I accidentally cut too far so there is a hole in the side which I covered with Scotch tape. You'll have to supply your own cable though. It will just give you an idea of what the performance will be, you can either keep it in there or drop in your 5055.

One thing I noticed is that on Hitec's website, it lists the (50)55 both as having a coreless motor, but on the box I got and from the looks of the servo itself, it's just a plain old 3-pole ferrite motor. I wanted to stick with the 55 while I was still under the false impression it was coreless, but now I can go ahead to try the (50)56.

edit: Sorry to say I won't have an HS-55 for you since I am keeping it. The HS-56HB has a different case profile and spline size so it won't fit in the RS-32. I posted a servo comparison video in the RS32 thread but I'll copy it here in case you can't find it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8FpSmG9G9U
If you like what you see then you might as well just get right on your HS-5055MG.

Last edited by gctkaz; 2013.01.30 at 05:24 PM. Reason: HS-56HB no go!
Old 2013.02.03, 12:50 PM   #36
gctkaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by gctkaz View Post
Finally - have you ever disassembled the 2.4GHz radio that comes with the Losi micro? There is something that looks like a kind of daughterboard doubleside-taped to the main PCB, connected by only 3 contacts. Is there any chance this thing could be removed and turned into a Spektrum module? Would be really interesting if it turns out the inputs are serialized on the mainboard and the daughterboard handles the radio communications.
I am looking into this now. It seems that at its heart, the stock Losi (both 2.4GHz and AM) radio is indeed kind of module-based, so I went ahead and made an adapter to plug the Losi 2.4GHz daughterboard into my EX-1UR. In my excitement what I neglected to do was to check the voltage on both ends, I just assumed it would be 5V on both radios. Wrong and I could smell it within moments of powering on the EX-1.

I think the EX-1 gives the module whatever voltage the batteries have, while it appears that the Losi radio supplies regulated 3.3V. The adapter for converting a Losi daughterboard to a module then would need a regulator to drop the supplied voltage down to 3.3V. Unfortunately my work on this is stalled since my Losi board is now cooked. Derek I know you have one of these, so let me know if you don't need it and if I can buy it from you.

If this thing works in the end, what would be the most exciting is if a similar thing can be done with the low-end DX2E/DX3E to make a DSM2-compatible module since Spektrum never released one officially.

I also had a look inside the HPI TF-21 radio, and it looks like turning that into a module will be a hopeless endeavour since all input and radio processing are done on a single small board. We are stuck with the TF-21 for running our RS32

edit: The module pulled from the Losi radio is Horizon Hobby part# X10EMTX. Apparently people are even installing them as modules into helicopter radios and having control of 6 channels. Also a pull-up resistor might be needed, but I can't test this until I get another board.

Last edited by gctkaz; 2013.02.03 at 01:24 PM.
Old 2013.02.03, 01:24 PM   #37
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

I never wound up getting a DSM Losi TX with the purchase of my micro Crawler...Landon gave me a break and parted it out since he had a buyer it was no biggy. Unless the AM radio helps I'm afraid you are out of luck.

As for using the HPI, I have a couple other options including the micro crawler board so I can plug in a servo without swapping wires. My project will start in earnest once my stuff arrives from slot car corner.

my custom body album...
Old 2013.02.03, 01:36 PM   #38
gctkaz

Ah no worries. I have a DX3C and a proper DSM module for EX-1, this was just a little project done out of curiosity.

I'll be interested to see what you can do about the RS32. I got an AE XPS ESC, but it has no integrated receiver - which can be good or bad I suppose. I considered the MRX-3100 you have as well, but space will be so limited inside that little car.

I know you asked about motor limits for the MRX-3100 a while back. It should be possible to stack the FETs in those micro ESCs the same way we do for Mini-Z, shouldn't it?
Old 2013.02.03, 04:27 PM   #39
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

The stock mrx-3100 has about the same power as a mini-z am board and fets are very similar so can be swapped with standard replacement 4562 and the like.

Space requirements for my 1/32nd project might change a bit once the new body comes and I build a chassis for it...we will see.

my custom body album...
Old 2013.03.08, 01:37 PM   #40
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

while I mull over some interesting chassis projects i threw this together over the past couple days.

I got an Audi R8 GT1 body from my friend Landon but it had a serious hack to the front end and the front splitter was pretty much destroyed. I decided this body would be my new shell for the summer race season and I would have to repair it before making it look like the Phoenix Racing 12hr of Bathurst winner.

I used four layers of frp to rebuild it step by step allowing the epoxy to cure overnight each stage:

The finished product all ground down nice and neat....next step is to clean, remove some green highlights and prep for paint.

This will hopefully be the end result of my efforts:

my custom body album...
Old 2013.03.18, 06:34 PM   #41
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

some of the cars that are on for Cowboy's project list. I have the 911GT1 body and the Supra and the whitebody 458 and decals are on order...

This should make my race cars pretty unique in our club.

(ps.FYI I'm becoming a HUGE fan of Patto's Place...their decal selection is unparalleled)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5738296982_83d7d1e832_z.jpg (201.2 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg GT1.jpg (68.7 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg castrol supra (640x420).jpg (213.8 KB, 28 views)

my custom body album...
Old 2013.03.19, 02:59 PM   #42
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

I've also started the paint mixing for this bad boy....should make a unique F1 (although the body isn't quite the same)

I should be done all of these...........eventually
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Arrows-A23-Cosworth_9.jpg (67.4 KB, 19 views)

my custom body album...
Old 2013.03.19, 03:15 PM   #43
lfisminiz
MINI-Z BODY NUT

All good ideas. Looking forward to seeing them.

DG DESIGNS - PN RACING - MANTISWORX
lfisminiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.04.13, 04:54 PM   #44
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

WIP.....

my custom body album...
Old 2013.04.14, 03:58 PM   #45
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

After a tedious amount of decal application the Supra is almost done with just the rear wing to finish. It also turns out I've misplaced my light cover package for this whitebody so I'm a bit choked ATM.

I've almost finished the paint on the Marlboro 911 gt1 but I butchered some of the hand paint black work. Once it cures ill figure a way of neatening it and then onto decals.

Still need to complete the rear wing of the Arrows A23 F1....

I hope my b-day present to myself arrives in time to start a couple more unique paint/decal jobs.

my custom body album...