Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2006.06.20, 02:22 PM   #16
madf1man
Bogus nachos

If improper here delete as needed but I have a some used RCP I just purchased from our original club members. I have since gotten a ton of my own so this is just extra track. I currently have some small add on turn kits on Ebay for sale but can also put together something larger custom kits if you like. I also have some homemade inside turns I can sale also. madf1man@sbcglobal.net
madf1man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.06.20, 04:08 PM   #17
ruknd@aol.com
fast and out of control

Send a message via AIM to ruknd@aol.com
noob

it seems were still on the same debates/questions...I made my own then bought an RCP. Save yourself teh time and $$$ and just go get an RCP.
ruknd@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.06.20, 09:45 PM   #18
steiner9

To follow up, I did buy the Ebay track surface, I understand that rcp is the better product, but I really like the idea of having a COMPARABLE surface to which I can build my own track. I assume one day I will proboalbly eat those words, but what the heck lol. Thanks for the thoughts and for still bieng posotive about home built tracks, its nice to know that you guys have been where I am.

It is a big jump going from all 1/10 stuff to 1/24, but im hopefull it will be fun and easier on time constraints and $$$. I will keep you guys updated on the status of my track and post some pics of progress for sure, it should arrive thursday!
steiner9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.06.20, 11:02 PM   #19
pchan0
Team ShoBoi

Send a message via ICQ to pchan0 Send a message via MSN to pchan0
Hey guys, I need help too. I'm about to make a track for my own use in the basement so it is sort of permanent. Would I be better off with those foam mats I can get at WalMart? Here is a picture I found from the forums that some guy did and I think it is excellent and will use the same material for mine. What do you think? Is this a cheaper alternative since I'm on a budget?

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Track'''''.JPG (283.1 KB, 51 views)
Old 2006.06.20, 11:41 PM   #20
briankstan

these mats don't have the great surface that the RCP tracks has but they are a good surface. you will want to go with a soft tire compound and I highly recomend the foam barriers. you can use pvc and clip the pipe foam over them to protect the cars.

if you budget won't allow for the RCP, it is a great option, and still more configurable than a carpet track.

I say go for it.
Old 2006.06.20, 11:41 PM   #21
steiner9

Those look like the same exact tiles I ordered. Looks like that guy has a sweet setup to me, but as it was said before, RCP is the better track....
Old 2006.06.21, 12:50 AM   #22
LBRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchan0
Hey guys, I need help too. I'm about to make a track for my own use in the basement so it is sort of permanent. Would I be better off with those foam mats I can get at WalMart? Here is a picture I found from the forums that some guy did and I think it is excellent and will use the same material for mine. What do you think? Is this a cheaper alternative since I'm on a budget?

Thanks.
Well, if you’ve made it this far down the thread you have already heard the unanimous recommendations to skip the DIY step and go directly to the RCP if at all possible.

When it comes to making your own in the best of all possible situations you would have driven on and tried out several different tracks, deciding on the type/style that would work for you. For example I would have difficulty with the track in the photo; to start with my cars would plow right through and under the railing as shown eventually tearing the twist ties right out through the foam, also do to the slickness of the untreated surface I wouldn’t be able to get up to any satisfying speed even if the lanes weren’t a little narrow especially for the slick surface and easily bashed around rails. But that would just be my opinion for me.

If you’re determined to go with foam mats I would first suggest setting them up without rails and drive around on them first, that will give you an idea about the surface. If you want/need more traction 80 grit sand paper to scuff the surface followed by a light coat of chalkboard paint is one option. Once you’ve come to terms with the driving surface you can start on the rails. With the rails again I suggest you do a little experimenting before making any sort of irreversible investment and/or installation. Another problem will be deciding on lane width which will also be dependent on what you decide on for rails, if you are planning on more than one or two cars driving at a time and/or higher speeds two feet can be just a little confining.
Old 2006.06.21, 10:22 AM   #23
pchan0
Team ShoBoi

Send a message via ICQ to pchan0 Send a message via MSN to pchan0
Hello,

Thanks for your advice. Just wondering, are these foam mats really that bad traction wise? I tried this surface before at a friends house and it was hooking up with just Atomic grooved tire, and I think GPM tires would be even better.

Thanks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBRC
Well, if you’ve made it this far down the thread you have already heard the unanimous recommendations to skip the DIY step and go directly to the RCP if at all possible.

When it comes to making your own in the best of all possible situations you would have driven on and tried out several different tracks, deciding on the type/style that would work for you. For example I would have difficulty with the track in the photo; to start with my cars would plow right through and under the railing as shown eventually tearing the twist ties right out through the foam, also do to the slickness of the untreated surface I wouldn’t be able to get up to any satisfying speed even if the lanes weren’t a little narrow especially for the slick surface and easily bashed around rails. But that would just be my opinion for me.

If you’re determined to go with foam mats I would first suggest setting them up without rails and drive around on them first, that will give you an idea about the surface. If you want/need more traction 80 grit sand paper to scuff the surface followed by a light coat of chalkboard paint is one option. Once you’ve come to terms with the driving surface you can start on the rails. With the rails again I suggest you do a little experimenting before making any sort of irreversible investment and/or installation. Another problem will be deciding on lane width which will also be dependent on what you decide on for rails, if you are planning on more than one or two cars driving at a time and/or higher speeds two feet can be just a little confining.
Old 2006.06.21, 10:51 AM   #24
briankstan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchan0
Hello,

Thanks for your advice. Just wondering, are these foam mats really that bad traction wise? I tried this surface before at a friends house and it was hooking up with just Atomic grooved tire, and I think GPM tires would be even better.

Thanks,
I used them (the ones from Sam's Club) and they had pretty good grip.
Old 2006.06.25, 08:01 PM   #25
steiner9

Thumbs down

Ok guys, got my track set up, here is the link to the thread where I posted pics

http://www.minizracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22090
Old 2006.06.26, 12:16 AM   #26
builthatch
yes, it's a boxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiner9
Ok guys, got my track set up, here is the link to the thread where I posted pics

http://www.minizracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22090
track looks great...good work!

FS: several built "old school AM" MR-02s + stuffs
builthatch is offline   Reply With Quote