Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2016.10.24, 10:06 PM   #1
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

Opinions please from racing community

Quick question for all:

Are Gyros a form of cheating? If there's only one person out of the group using a gyro wouldn't that mean it is considered an unfair advantage?

I'm curious if the gyro does give that much of advantage.

my custom body album...
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/album.php?albumid=192
cowboysir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.10.25, 05:35 AM   #2
byebye

We have an open class here in the DC group and anything goes. If you have at least one open class, open rules group you can really tell whether or not it's an advantage.

It does help the car run smoother but I wouldn't call it an advantage.
byebye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.10.25, 06:08 AM   #3
mleemor60
Curmudgeon & Moderator

Nor would I. My limited experience with the gyro's have netted negative handling results. Since most track set up's have groups of twisty bits connected by a series of moderately short straights the gyro tends to fight the needed quick left then right then left again corner arrangements that we all race on. On a three wide 50cm track with lots of gentle high speed sweepers there could be an advantage but in the world most of us run in I would think not. The money would be better spent on something like chrome applique sheets for your transmitter or a nice "keep out" sign for your hobby room.
mleemor60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.10.25, 06:37 AM   #4
xmodcanuck

I'd say based on your specific question that yes it's a bit cheater-ish. If only one person has an electronic driving aid it's definitely an unfair advantage.
Maybe create a special class for the cheater-gyro cars and have them all race together.
xmodcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.10.25, 10:10 AM   #5
mleemor60
Curmudgeon & Moderator

Looking at it in a simply black or white format I would agree that it is a bit subversive especially IF there are written rules that clearly state the legality of an add on part like "fets" used to be. If there is nothing stated in the "rules" addressing that the addition of said accessory is illegal then you just put it up for discussion.
Old 2016.10.25, 01:32 PM   #6
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

Our group has been a kind of "laissez-faire/run what you brung" club where the only thing banned to this point is silicone and foam tires, mainly because our smaller track (90cm max width) limits the benefits of different power levels.

With one person driving the twisty bits with higher power and a gyro....unfair advantage?

I'd certainly like some opinions because I would share this debate with our club so we can decide either to let it go or browbeat unmercifully so as to end its use

my custom body album...
Old 2016.10.25, 03:27 PM   #7
mleemor60
Curmudgeon & Moderator

Based on that I would ban the use for the one that has it so it stops the escalation of everybody having to have it. Worse yet would be the next level it could lead to and on and on. Better to nip it early. Probably the worst part of it is the one that has it doesn't need it to be competitive.
Old 2016.10.25, 04:56 PM   #8
xmodcanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleemor60 View Post
Probably the worst part of it is the one that has it doesn't need it to be competitive.
You hit the nail squarely on the head with that statement.
xmodcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.10.25, 08:18 PM   #9
RFick73
N.E.R.D.

I have a Gyro in my MOD car. I use it more than not, but I do disconnect it from time to time here & there.
But again, it's in my MOD car not my stock.

It fits the category for MOD I believe.
So, if ya wanna keep using it, be sure to label it as MOD & keep it in that category.

Just my 2 cents.
-=MA-015 Custom Citreon DS3 WRC 2011=-
-=
F1 Jordon Honda EJ11 2001 Jarno Trulli "Bitten Heroes" #12=-
*EX-6R*
RFick73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.10.25, 08:28 PM   #10
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFick73 View Post
I have a Gyro in my MOD car. I use it more than not, but I do disconnect it from time to time here & there.
But again, it's in my MOD car not my stock.

It fits the category for MOD I believe.
So, if ya wanna keep using it, be sure to label it as MOD & keep it in that category.

Just my 2 cents.
I did not realize you were cheating as well

Since it seems increasingly difficult to have races within a category I guess I'll just have to sit out for your "mod" races.

my custom body album...
Old 2016.10.25, 09:54 PM   #11
TheSteve
VE7FM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysir View Post
I did not realize you were cheating as well

Since it seems increasingly difficult to have races within a category I guess I'll just have to sit out for your "mod" races.
We're going to have to watch these guys - they might be running a 5th cell too.
TheSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.10.26, 12:19 AM   #12
TeeSquared
Redline

Sheesh.
TeeSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.10.26, 01:17 AM   #13
Gladi8or

Hey guys.... is this really needed? I'm gonna be honest in saying that I'm a bit disappointed reading this topic. C'mon dudes, you all have a fleet worth thousands of dollars, and you're afraid a kid that runs plastics and stock motors will have advantage over you because of a gyro? C'monnnn! You can do better than this. Actually I'm so curious that I'm gonna try it myself if someone doesnt mind that I borrow one from you... dead sure it's bollocks but it's totally legit, kyosho part, available for everybody.
To be fair... we're not even racing.... so why to bother? You can all use gyros and Steve will still do the fastest lap of the day.... YEYYY!
50 cents given...now let's go to the track and put some more laps down and JUST try to be better.
Gladi8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.10.26, 08:53 AM   #14
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladi8or View Post
Hey guys.... is this really needed? I'm gonna be honest in saying that I'm a bit disappointed reading this topic. C'mon dudes, you all have a fleet worth thousands of dollars, and you're afraid a kid that runs plastics and stock motors will have advantage over you because of a gyro? C'monnnn! You can do better than this. Actually I'm so curious that I'm gonna try it myself if someone doesnt mind that I borrow one from you... dead sure it's bollocks but it's totally legit, kyosho part, available for everybody.
To be fair... we're not even racing.... so why to bother? You can all use gyros and Steve will still do the fastest lap of the day.... YEYYY!
50 cents given...now let's go to the track and put some more laps down and JUST try to be better.
Carlos,

This thread is an attempt to find out if I should continue berating gyro users or just let it be.

I'm honestly super tired of trash talking. I'd love to get everyone to build cars to a spec so we can really compete at a similar level but since we do not I wanted to find outside opinions about traction control.

I did not intend this to turn into a sort "shaming" but if users are taking it that way it kind of makes you wonder why gyro users feel that way if users think they are ok to use.

Outside opinion has pretty much said that they are a bit hokey and for certain tracks completely useless. To that end I've decided :

1. I will no longer berate users of gyros.
2. I will sit out mod class races until I have a usable mod class car. Getting bumped out of the way driving a lower powered car gets on my nerves....

my custom body album...
Old 2016.10.27, 05:29 AM   #15
byebye

Let keep the conversation civil but allow everyone a chance to voice their opinion.

Canvassing the racing community especially this forum is a great way to get a lot of different opinions to help make a decision for YOUR club. What works for us may not always work for you.

In regards to using a gyro versus not or "adding electronic aids", well what's the difference between that and say having an upgraded radio? I personally see no difference. By adding a programmable radio you can take out or add in driving features you just can't get with a kt-18. What about programming your ESC? Again you can add or remove torque curves, change steering speed and such which can greatly increase your consistency and we all know consistency wins races.

What works for DC? We have multiple classes so EVERYONE gets to race and other than mods everyone starts with the same chassis. Then what makes the difference is how you maintain or tweak your car. So we cater from novice to pro essentially so that no one feels obligated to buy something they don't need and are not intimidated because they just aren't competitive when they compare their stock car to your mod car.

What else works? We all agree to the rules before we accept a change.

Kris

Last edited by byebye; 2016.10.27 at 05:39 AM.
byebye is offline   Reply With Quote