Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2009.11.09, 09:01 PM   #1
JeremyC
MR-02 for life

360 GTC whitebody prep

I recently purchased a 360 GTC whitebody and would like to do as much body grinding/sanding as possible before painting.

With the side clips in the standard position and the chassis not lowered at all, the body seems to be positioned really nicely. When depressing the rear of the car the motor mount hits the chassis before the body hits the ground. The rear wheel wells also look pretty good with the +1 rear wheels.

The front of the body seems more likely to bottom out though. I am thinking I should grind that a little bit, but I am also trying to decide if I should just grind the front lip off entirely before starting. Does anyone think this lip helps handling; or is it just aesthetic? Should I just grind it off before painting?

So..
  • Should I get rid of the front lip?
  • Should I glue the body clips in the standard position?
Old 2009.11.09, 09:23 PM   #2
briankstan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysiptera View Post
I recently purchased a 360 GTC whitebody and would like to do as much body grinding/sanding as possible before painting.

With the side clips in the standard position and the chassis not lowered at all, the body seems to be positioned really nicely. When depressing the rear of the car the motor mount hits the chassis before the body hits the ground. The rear wheel wells also look pretty good with the +1 rear wheels.

The front of the body seems more likely to bottom out though. I am thinking I should grind that a little bit, but I am also trying to decide if I should just grind the front lip off entirely before starting. Does anyone think this lip helps handling; or is it just aesthetic? Should I just grind it off before painting?

So..
  • Should I get rid of the front lip?
  • Should I glue the body clips in the standard position?
don't get rid of the entire front lip, but trim it back so it is flush with where the top of the body is, this will prevent it from getting caught under the rails of the RCP Track. if you take to much of the front lip off it will weaken the front of the body.

I wouldn't change the mounting points of the clips. it sit in a pretty good location. the front is pretty low anyways.

other that that is a really good track body without any other modification.
Old 2009.11.09, 09:33 PM   #3
JeremyC
MR-02 for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by briankstan View Post
don't get rid of the entire front lip, but trim it back so it is flush with where the top of the body is, this will prevent it from getting caught under the rails of the RCP Track. if you take to much of the front lip off it will weaken the front of the body.
I'm not sure how much this means to remove.. Do you mean flush with the bumper?
Old 2009.11.09, 09:38 PM   #4
JeremyC
MR-02 for life

I found this picture in one of arch2b's galleries

Old 2009.11.09, 09:41 PM   #5
JeremyC
MR-02 for life

Another gallery shot....

Old 2009.11.10, 06:51 AM   #6
hrdrvr
MBMZR

^ Thats what Brian is talking about. He just reccomends shaving enough of the spoiler, so that the bumper hits the RCP before the spoiler can. Copying either of the posted pics should get you the results you are shooting for.

Me personally, I shaved the sides of the spoiler down a bit at the corners, but I left mostly the whole thing on. If you stay off the walls, or atleast minimize impacts to it, you should have any trouble with the spoiler getting hung up.

As far as if these things change handling, the answer is yes. Wether they increase grip by downforce, or just plain weight is still in the air, but I guarantee a body with the full front lip will perform different than a body with no lip. Would every driver notice the sublte change, possibly not. Could you adjust the set up to compensate for what ever changes take place, absolutely.

LET's Go Racing!
hrdrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.11.10, 07:36 AM   #7
briankstan

thanks for clearing that up for me.
Old 2009.11.10, 09:45 AM   #8
Davey G
Need a mini z Painted????

Send a message via MSN to Davey G
There is not TRUE right or wrong way to do it. My preference is to take off the entire thing and wet sand it as smooth and round as possible so that you can rub the boards and not get sucked in. Again, not saying that I am right, just stating how I do it on the 360, and the lexus bodies that have the very strong gurny flap on the bottom.

Custom Paint, Custom Stickers, Wraps, Pitboards, Graphic Design

TEAM DRIVER FOR: PN RACING, TRP, TEAM SCREAM, DG DESIGNS
Davey G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.11.10, 10:31 AM   #9
dxm2

The 360 is one of my all time favorites and a great race body. I trimmed the lip back and rounded it off. It still hit the wall first, but didn't catch. I never liked the look of it completely removed, but when its one the track, you don't even notice stuff like that. I did trim a little off the inside as well to get a little more rear wheel clearance and travel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00246-1.jpg (164.0 KB, 52 views)
dxm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.11.10, 10:43 AM   #10
JeremyC
MR-02 for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxm2 View Post
The 360 is one of my all time favorites and a great race body. I trimmed the lip back and rounded it off. It still hit the wall first, but didn't catch. I never liked the look of it completely removed, but when its one the track, you don't even notice stuff like that. I did trim a little off the inside as well to get a little more rear wheel clearance and travel.
dxm2; is that picture a before or after shot? It doesn't look like the lip was trimmed much at all...

-Jer
Old 2009.11.10, 11:22 AM   #11
bermbuster
GF Racing

You can always trim a small amount then check the results on the track then keep trimming till you find what you like. I know you want to trim it once and then paint it but since you dont know how much you want removed this will be the best option.
I trim my 360s like Dave and they give awesome results for me and my son.
I add an inner stiffener to give the body more durability. Atomic sells them in CF but I use polystyrene sheet (.030")
bermbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.11.10, 12:04 PM   #12
Cherub1m
Slip Angle Chaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermbuster View Post
You can always trim a small amount then check the results on the track then keep trimming till you find what you like. I know you want to trim it once and then paint it but since you dont know how much you want removed this will be the best option.
I trim my 360s like Dave and they give awesome results for me and my son.
I add an inner stiffener to give the body more durability. Atomic sells them in CF but I use polystyrene sheet (.030")
I do what George said, except I usually leave a little (like what you have on the picture) and reinforce it with lexan sheets. The lexan reinforcement works great, I've used lexan reinforcement on my Porsche 962 front end and I've raced it several times, got into several collisions and its still standing strong (also, that LM body is the first one I've used since Kyosho came out with the first two LM bodies) (Note: LM light buckets are glued to the body from the inside)

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln

Link to my Videos http://www.youtube.com/SlipAngleChaser

Last edited by Cherub1m; 2009.11.10 at 11:10 PM.
Cherub1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.11.10, 06:03 PM   #13
dxm2

It sure doesn't........I'll update it with a current photo.
dxm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.11.11, 08:31 PM   #14
JeremyC
MR-02 for life

I don't know where my camera is; or I would take a photo.

So I ground down the lip so that it doesn't protrude any further than the bumper. I was pretty careful about this, and it is actually a little bigger than in the two photos above. Not much, but slightly bigger.

I ran it on some RCP for about an hour today, and it never stuck under the rails. I didn't have the time/patience to run it with the full lip so I can't comment on the difference. All I can say is that it worked pretty well; thank you for the advice everyone.

PS: The 360GTC was *much* nimbler than my 94mm Enzo.
Old 2009.11.11, 09:26 PM   #15
lfisminiz
MINI-Z BODY NUT

Jeremy - Run the 360 and the F430 GT, you will like both. 2 of my favorite and most run bodies.

DG DESIGNS - PN RACING - MANTISWORX
lfisminiz is offline   Reply With Quote