Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts

Go Back   Mini-ZRacer.com Forums > Tracks and GTGs

Old 2018.11.04, 06:13 PM   #1
MPG1959

RCP track, Smooth side up rough side up?

New to mini z's. I just picked up a RCP track and cars used, what side up do you run? and what tires?
MPG1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.11.04, 06:43 PM   #2
Qball41

Lots of variety on tires. I'm usually around 15 degrees rear, 20 degrees front.

In the track, we just formed a new group and we are racing on the smooth side.
Qball41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.11.04, 07:11 PM   #3
herman

Welcome... I actually haven't tried the smooth side yet... but for the rough side kyosho 30 front 20 rear.. if you find yourself traction rolling go for 40 fronts.. tire choice is about 80-90% of your set up... so choose wisely.. hope this helps...
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.11.04, 07:20 PM   #4
mleemor60
Curmudgeon & Moderator

Smooth side is the way to go especially if you want reduced tire wear. But on either side be sure to stay away with any silicone based tires as they will destroy the racing surface. Once it gets into the surface it is virtually impossible to get it out.
mleemor60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.11.04, 07:22 PM   #5
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
I race on rough and smooth at different venues. Kyosho 20 rear and 30 fronts works on both. Smooth side has a little more initial and overall mode more traction than the rough side. I raced on the rough floor many more years before trying the smooth, and prefer the smooth side since there is more consistency.
Old 2018.11.04, 07:59 PM   #6
MPG1959

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleemor60 View Post
Smooth side is the way to go especially if you want reduced tire wear. But on either side be sure to stay away with any silicone based tires as they will destroy the racing surface. Once it gets into the surface it is virtually impossible to get it out.
So you say stay away from silicone tires, what brands to Run?
Old 2018.11.04, 08:00 PM   #7
MPG1959

Thanks for the input guys
Old 2018.11.04, 08:46 PM   #8
SuperFly
bitPimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPG1959 View Post
So you say stay away from silicone tires, what brands to Run?
I think PN is probably the most popular brand. They have two RCP formulations, in slick and treaded.

I usually use PN Racing Mini-Z KS-M Compound RCP Radial Rear Tire SOFT and PN Racing Mini-Z KS-M Compound RCP Slick Front Tire SUPER SOFT, but sometimes go with SOFT or MEDIUM up front, and sometimes SUPER SOFT in the rear.

I'm interested in trying the Marka tires next time they are in stock. I also use Kyosho tires, and their rating system is a little different. The Kyosho tires last longer than PN, and have a longer shelf life, IMO.

mini-z gallery

PDX Mini-Z
SuperFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.11.04, 09:11 PM   #9
MPG1959

Cool thanks
Old 2018.11.04, 09:32 PM   #10
herman

Yes do not use silicone tires on rcp...
Anybody know if kyosho tires are silicone free?
Old 2018.11.05, 05:56 AM   #11
mleemor60
Curmudgeon & Moderator

Tires from any manufacturer that are marked for carpet use are very likely to be silicone based. Personally I would not run anything but Kyosho rubber. It is more than adequately "sticky" for any application and affords the best batch to batch consistency as well as superior shelf life not to mention wear characteristics. You may need a more precise set up with Kyosho rubber but your car will remain consistent throughout a run and subsequent runs. You can get more "grip" out of other manufacturer's rubber but you will likely find that the car is not consistent from run to run or even throughout a single run based on ambient conditions especially humidity.
mleemor60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.11.05, 02:39 PM   #12
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
I agree entirely with what Mleemor has posted. There is a smaller setup window mechanically, but there is also a wider window of operation. The Kyosho rubber is less temperature sensitive than other rubbers that I have used, and works just about everywhere.

If you are racing stock motor (70t/even 50t) then Kyosho rubber will give very good consistency within .3s of faster rubber. When you get into modified motors, then alternate rubber may be a better option. I generate wheelspin with modified power on Kyosho rubber. PN rubber can tame it, but I will go through one set of tires in a race day compared to Kyosho rubber that can last 5 race days or more depending on the power and surface traction.
Old 2018.11.05, 09:48 PM   #13
herman

Thanks for the info...
Old 2018.11.07, 07:47 AM   #14
RCPMini-z
rcptracks.com

I would definitely go PN for tires. They make both RCP radial and slick tires for most applications and racing styles. I've used mostly the rough side in the past but am now favoring the smooth for reasons others have posted above. One quick tip, it is useful to take a very lightly dampened mop to the top surface of the smooth side of the tiles, once in the morning or once before you use the track. It helps to take the dust off the surface of the smooth side that has collected over night.
RCPMini-z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.11.07, 09:00 AM   #15
Qball41

To help keep the track surface clean, we use a large roller made for pet hair clean up. Its basically like going over the whole track with a lint roller. Its nice because its about the size of a paint roller, and comes on a long shaft, so its quick and easy.

It removes the dust and fine dirt that seems to get tracked in over time.
Qball41 is offline   Reply With Quote