Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2004.12.21, 10:11 AM   #1
THRC Dan
Race Nut

Send a message via ICQ to THRC Dan Send a message via AIM to THRC Dan Send a message via Yahoo to THRC Dan
MCUSA Format

Lets discuss the format of the races...

All ideas are open... My idea is running 5 minute qualifiers to set up the mains. Then run 7 minute A mains, 6 minute B-Mains and all other mains at 5 minutes.

We could also reccognize Top Qualifiers from each class and region. Rank the TQ as well.
THRC Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.12.21, 12:08 PM   #2
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
Quote:
Originally Posted by THRC Dan
Lets discuss the format of the races...

All ideas are open... My idea is running 5 minute qualifiers to set up the mains. Then run 7 minute A mains, 6 minute B-Mains and all other mains at 5 minutes.

We could also reccognize Top Qualifiers from each class and region. Rank the TQ as well.
i like the idea of shorter heats. we run 5 min. heats on my track. 7 min feels like an eternity when your racing.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.12.21, 08:48 PM   #3
davkin
Master of My Mini Domain

Heck, we run twenty minute races with stock Z's, it's a blast! With good batts twenty minutes is easy with stock motors. That's an idea, how about an endurance class? I personally love long races.

David
Old 2004.12.21, 08:51 PM   #4
arch2b

an enduro is a great idea too. only run what you bring... you won't want a fetted car for it anyway
Old 2004.12.21, 08:52 PM   #5
TNB
Pet Human

One day here we started running at 4:30 pm and quit at 2 am. Lots of battery changes though we did have food delivered too. However, I'd say 5-7 minutes is good for a "regular" heat/race. If everyone runs lights, cut it back to 6 minutes.
Old 2004.12.21, 09:11 PM   #6
davkin
Master of My Mini Domain

Definately for many places shorter heats will be necessary due to a large participation group. I'm not sure we really need to worry about how people get to the A-main for the national format. Are you really going to bother rating drivers that run in the B and C mains as well?

Actually, thinking about this has me a bit confused again. The idea is that everybody runs on the same track on the same day, correct? Now what exactly is ranked nationally? Is everybody ranked according to their race performance against the clock? In other words, so and so completes so many laps in the time allotted with so many seconds to spare? So, if the national ranking is against the clock, (and I don't see how it could be any other way.) then all the races need to be the same length of time. Then it really doesn't matter when someone is racing in the A main here, while someone else is in the B main somewhere else, it's how many laps they completed in the alloted time that matters. It really wouldn't be fair for someone racing in a city that has a large participation to be compared to those in a city with little Mini racing participation where everyone would end up in the A main regardless of wether they suck or not. I guarantee if we hold a race here that will be case for at least one class if not all of them. A "B" main driver in one city could easily be faster than an "A" main driver in another, so it really shouldn't matter which main they raced in for the national ranking should it?

Also, even though it would most likely hurt us the most, I would have to say it would probably be more fair to require a minimum number of drivers in a race in order for their results to be nationally ranked. I'm sure it's far easier to put down fast laps in a race with only four drivers on the track than in a race with ten.

David
Old 2004.12.21, 09:30 PM   #7
arch2b

the event will not be held at the same time to my understanding. it would be possible with cores software but not everyone will have that.
Old 2004.12.22, 12:26 AM   #8
davkin
Master of My Mini Domain

Quote:
the event will not be held at the same time to my understanding. it would be possible with cores software but not everyone will have that.
That's not what I was saying. According to the web page the event is supposed to happen all on the same day across the country. However. What I am trying to say is the only thing that should count in regional or national rankings is the drivers raw race performance. It shouldn't matter wether he was running in the "B" main or "A" main or came in 1st or 10th, just the number of laps and time. Ya locally where you finish is important, but nationally it shouldn't mean squat. Some areas have much more participation by many more highly talented drivers than others so drivers in a high participation area that are running in the "B" main may be faster than the drivers running in the "A" main in an area where support is so low that all they have is an "A" main. So, I think it's only fair to rate a driver's performance soley based on how many laps he completed within the alloted time with how many seconds to spare. Which means all the races must be the same length of time, and whichever main the driver was in or what position he finished in locally is irrelevant to the national ranking.

David
Old 2004.12.22, 12:39 AM   #9
michvin

enduro race was held this Sun in NYC. it was blast. 3 1-hour long rounds.
normally we run 8 mins heats and mains. No classes - race what you bring
Old 2004.12.22, 09:31 AM   #10
THRC Dan
Race Nut

Send a message via ICQ to THRC Dan Send a message via AIM to THRC Dan Send a message via Yahoo to THRC Dan
Davkin,

The race will be held on the same day and on the same track layouts. I see what you are saying regarding the number and skill level of participants.

We are definately racing the clock and the layout. Head to head on the track would be great but we cant do that, so were working on the next best thing.

What do you think about making all the mains the same length? This way if you have real fast racers beyond the A main, they can still run the same amount of time and get ranked against everyone else in the country that races. Yes that kinda negates the purpose of qualifying to position for a main but its the only way that everyone can be rated equally. The equalizer is (i guess) that if a good racer happens to have some bad qualifiers and does not make the A, then he would have to race against lesser skill levels and sometimes that is a factor.

Its not a perfect thing, but if we work through the little things, I know we can get something respectible to rank everyone on. Plus its all in good fun anyway. 8-)
THRC Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.12.22, 09:39 AM   #11
brian

That's a decent point, we'll have to have the same time for each main to be able to compare overall times.

There should be some type of penalty for not making the a-main though so people don't sandbag down to the c main with 2 people and have an absolutely flawless run that couldn't be achieved in the A with 10 equal cars.
brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.12.22, 10:38 AM   #12
michvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian
That's a decent point, we'll have to have the same time for each main to be able to compare overall times.

There should be some type of penalty for not making the a-main though so people don't sandbag down to the c main with 2 people and have an absolutely flawless run that couldn't be achieved in the A with 10 equal cars.
points. it's easy. A-main #6 will get more points than C-main winner
Old 2004.12.22, 10:40 AM   #13
brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by michvin
points. it's easy. A-main #6 will get more points than C-main winner
then people will complain that they have 30 super fast drivers in their area so they could only make the c, but their time is faster then everybody at a track with only 5 drivers all in the A
brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.12.22, 10:52 AM   #14
michvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian
then people will complain that they have 30 super fast drivers in their area so they could only make the c, but their time is faster then everybody at a track with only 5 drivers all in the A
Right, but then the satisfaction of winning would be much higher
Old 2004.12.22, 10:58 AM   #15
arch2b

Quote:
Originally Posted by THRC Dan
Davkin,
...The race will be held on the same day and on the same track layouts....
got that one wrong