Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2020.01.03, 09:04 AM   #1
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
Flysky Noble NB4

After others were gracious enough to let me try theirs, I've decided to move from the EX-6 to the NB4 for many reasons.

Couple questions;
1. on the 'about' page on the transmitter, the firmware version listed is not in a format consistent with the website so how do you determine if it's not up to date?
2. i downloaded the firmware update from the Flysky NB4 webpage anyway and to see what the program looked like, i tried to open it and Windows reported the program is infected with a virus that attempted to attack my PC and closed the program and deleted it. I've already emailed Flysky about this and have serious reservations now about the move if their firmware downloads are virus laden. What type of reputation does Flysky have here in the US?

Last edited by arch2b; 2020.01.03 at 11:54 AM.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020.01.03, 11:10 AM   #2
soulstice

nice! join the club, I bought a NB4 last month but haven't even had time to set it up.

Anyways there's this thread on rctech that says the virus notification is false positive. Still concerning nonetheless that their software is so buggy.

https://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-e...le-nb4-14.html see post 198.
Old 2020.01.03, 11:19 AM   #3
soulstice

Direct from the source, post from December 18.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/flyskyrc/posts/

"it's safe, don't be worry"

haha. very confidence inspiring but this is a great value radio system and the most affordable out of the higher end systems available.
Old 2020.01.03, 11:47 AM   #4
KWT

I did not get an alert when I updated to 2.0.75. Updated just fine.

Also, be aware that you will lose your model settings and have to rebind if you have a version before 2.0.75. Also, there are 2 versions of the firmware update. one for people on 2.0.75 and one for everything else.
KWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020.01.03, 01:01 PM   #5
arch2b

yeah, not confidence inspiring when your only method to update firmware is to completely disable all PC protection programs. I have far too much content/programs on my home PC to take that gamble so will need to do it from a burner PC so to speak.

I already knew from RCTech that update would wipe all stored models so didn't bother setting up models yet. So long as this problem is solved, not a big deal but will not use a radio that requires resetting 5-10 models every time it updates. surprised they don't have an export/backup function to deal with that.
Old 2020.01.03, 02:56 PM   #6
byebye

Ray did you share your "for many reasons" somewhere? Just curious to know. I like my radio but I see shiney things sometimes and want to buy.

My Menson just posted up the 7PX but again I want to know what I'm getting for the change over.

Kris
byebye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020.01.03, 05:15 PM   #7
arch2b

The EX-6 is discontinued, they only have the EX-6R and well, i strongly dislike how that one feels and it's ergonomics.
The EX-6 has been experiencing far to many issues with connectivity in crowded events where loss of connection requires repeated rebinding which is well, frustrating in or jut before a race.
The EX-6 is massive by comparison. The NB4 is heavier by weight but much smaller and easier to transport.

I feel like i've held onto the EX-6 for to long simply because I didn't want to try anything else. I've clung to ASF which is clearly on it's way out given the limited systems it's released with these days. I still don't want to carry multiple transmitters however EVO lets me control everything with the same receiver vs. having to worry about replacing boards. Providing Kyosho doesn't S#&t can EVO in a year, which frankly would align with their chaotic pattern, it's a less expensive pathway for me moving forward as older systems are faded out.

Ultimately, just taking a leap of faith, stepping forward to embrace discomfort if you will. It could be a big mistake but won't know until i give it an honest shot. I'm a creature of habit/routine so this was a big decision for me.
Old 2020.01.03, 05:31 PM   #8
Mike Keely

I am thinking of getting the Futaba 4PM radio for the same reason. Futaba has a great reputation and Ganesh has one that has had no issues.
Old 2020.01.03, 05:58 PM   #9
SuperFly
bitPimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by arch2b View Post
I still don't want to carry multiple transmitters however EVO lets me control everything with the same receiver vs. having to worry about replacing boards.
Side question: do you just have one EVO receiver that you pop in and out of whichever chassis you're driving, or do you have a separate receiver for each EVO chassis?

mini-z gallery

PDX Mini-Z
SuperFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020.01.03, 06:02 PM   #10
arch2b

I happen to have multiple receivers. When you purchase them in JPN on sale, they are cheap, +/-$33.

Last edited by arch2b; 2020.01.03 at 06:40 PM.
Old 2020.01.03, 07:09 PM   #11
KWT

I have a receiver for each car. That connector is not really designed for many removal/connections.
Old 2020.01.04, 11:15 AM   #12
byebye

Quote:
The EX-6 is discontinued, they only have the EX-6R and well, i strongly dislike how that one feels and it's ergonomics.
The EX-6 has been experiencing far to many issues with connectivity in crowded events where loss of connection requires repeated rebinding which is well, frustrating in or jut before a race.
The EX-6 is massive by comparison. The NB4 is heavier by weight but much smaller and easier to transport.

I feel like i've held onto the EX-6 for to long simply because I didn't want to try anything else. I've clung to ASF which is clearly on it's way out given the limited systems it's released with these days. I still don't want to carry multiple transmitters however EVO lets me control everything with the same receiver vs. having to worry about replacing boards. Providing Kyosho doesn't S#&t can EVO in a year, which frankly would align with their chaotic pattern, it's a less expensive pathway for me moving forward as older systems are faded out.

Ultimately, just taking a leap of faith, stepping forward to embrace discomfort if you will. It could be a big mistake but won't know until i give it an honest shot. I'm a creature of habit/routine so this was a big decision for me.
Thanks Ray. Just what was curious to hear. I'm still on the fence but appreciate everyones feedback.

Kris
byebye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020.01.04, 01:09 PM   #13
SuperFly
bitPimp

Quote:
I'm curious about this one. I have an EX-6R, but I thought it was only different from the 6 in electronics/firmware. Is it in fact a different form? When I look at them, they seem identical. ?

mini-z gallery

PDX Mini-Z
SuperFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020.01.04, 01:15 PM   #14
arch2b

The 6R comes with drop down wheel position, whereas the 6, that was optional accessory. It has other steering improvements as well as firmware so it's a combination of hardware and firmware updates. Once the 6R hit retail, the 6 was no longer available. I'm sure some remain in the supply chain but nearly all retail only have the 6R.
Old 2020.01.04, 07:22 PM   #15
KWT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFly View Post
I'm curious about this one. I have an EX-6R, but I thought it was only different from the 6 in electronics/firmware. Is it in fact a different form? When I look at them, they seem identical. ?

The EX-6R has the expert grip with an improved trigger, an improved steering wheel feel, more model memory. You can upgrade the EX-6 to the R by swapping out the grip, steering wheel and Xpansion module.