Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2005.01.23, 09:46 PM   #1
Buckaroo_Banzai
It flies like a truck...

Tire Confusion

I've done a little searching on this forum but haven't really found any clear answers on the whole tire situation. I was wondering if anyone could clear up a few questions for me.

It seems like each tire manufacturer uses different description scheme for their tires: ultra soft/soft/hard... 20,30,40,50... 8 degree, 10 degree... high grip grooved, radial, slick, foam.... in just about every different combination. And to make things worse it seems like the r/c parts sites are out of stock on certain tires at any given time so when you do a search you only get four from Atomic, three from GPM, and six from Kyosho.

What I'm looking for is this... I have an enzo... needs 8.5mm (N) fronts and 11mm (W) rears... I'd like a full range of softness compounds for the 8.5's and a full range of compounds for the 11's... you know, just buy a full range of compounds in both Normal and Wide at one time... store them in a case with compartments and just pick out tires for different surfaces... all from one manufacturer would be kinda nice, but not a requirement... but quality and functionality does matter... and getting them all at one time from one parts website in one order is the real trick.

Could anyone clear up this tire confusion and maybe point me to a link where I could get a full range of compounds all at once? If the people at mini-zracer.com would be willing to assemble a kit/set like this and offer it at a reasonable price I think other might be very interested... I know I would.

Thanks!

Last edited by Buckaroo_Banzai; 2005.01.23 at 09:49 PM.
Buckaroo_Banzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.01.23, 09:54 PM   #2
lfisminiz
MINI-Z BODY NUT

Welcome back. I know exactly what you mean. It took me a while to do that. I still would like more. The best luck i had was **********, to get the most selection, now there basicly not in buisiness any more. The only thing you can do is search all over. I hope the shop here does that. Slicks, radial, v-groove, and grooved. Fronts, rears, and all compounds.

DG DESIGNS - PN RACING - MANTISWORX
lfisminiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.01.24, 06:34 PM   #3
Buckaroo_Banzai
It flies like a truck...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfisminiz
Welcome back. I know exactly what you mean. It took me a while to do that. I still would like more. The best luck i had was **********, to get the most selection, now there basicly not in buisiness any more. The only thing you can do is search all over. I hope the shop here does that. Slicks, radial, v-groove, and grooved. Fronts, rears, and all compounds.
Welcome back? Thanks, but this is the first time I've ever posted here.

Just out of curiosity, why did the name of that site come through as "**********"? Is it because the forum owners would rather not have names of competitors on their forum so they starred it out? Just curious.
Old 2005.01.24, 06:44 PM   #4
ruknd@aol.com
fast and out of control

Send a message via AIM to ruknd@aol.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckaroo_Banzai
Welcome back? Thanks, but this is the first time I've ever posted here.

Just out of curiosity, why did the name of that site come through as "**********"? Is it because the forum owners would rather not have names of competitors on their forum so they starred it out? Just curious.
pretty much...the shop here is quite good and has a great selection. Often all their stock is not listed so post a post or send an e-mail as to what they have
ruknd@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.01.24, 06:45 PM   #5
lfisminiz
MINI-Z BODY NUT

Talking

Yes thats why. Sorry there was a b. banzai on here before.

DG DESIGNS - PN RACING - MANTISWORX
lfisminiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.01.24, 06:50 PM   #6
pHREDD
z of mini

Buck......I always try the shop here first ...if they dont carry it or have it in stock then I have to look else where....miniz store .com is where i get a lot of my tires and also rc mart .com as well as rc kenon .com

on a soft surface i run hard (30's ) in front and softer in the rear...on a hard surface 10's or soft in the front and hard in the rear.....every surface is different and every set of tires vary a little....I can race on our clubs track 1 night and my car and tires will handle great and then a week later usin the same setup it will suck....

happy hunting!
Old 2005.01.26, 10:27 PM   #7
Buckaroo_Banzai
It flies like a truck...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckaroo_Banzai
I've done a little searching on this forum but haven't really found any clear answers on the whole tire situation. I was wondering if anyone could clear up a few questions for me.
Okay... is it bizarre to reply to your own post? Hope not because here I go...

I've been looking around and reading and trying to clear up some of this confusion about these round things that the cars roll around on. I'll try to simplify it but if I mess up feel free to correct me. I'll also say that I'm not sure how much of this applies to the MR01 chassis, but it's probably correct for all the MR02's (MM, RM, RML)

First, wheels...

- MR02's come with (N)arrow wheels on the front and (W)ide wheels on the rear.

- Standard N wheels measure 8.5mm wide and standard W wheels are 11mm wide.

- Even though they look pretty much identical, there are actually different wheel sets for many of the MR02's. The main differences between them are the spoke pattern, color, wheel material (plastic, aluminum, alloy) and the "offset."

- The offset is the distance the hub center sticks out the back of the wheel. Larger offset means the car has a wider stance because the wheels have an extended hub which move the wheel a few more milimeters outward away from the chassis.

- Each MR02 has a different offset, and therefore a different wheel "set" that you should order if you want to replace your wheels. At first I thought you just ordered MR02 wheels and made sure they were N front and W rear, and then used spacers or something to add the offset, but no... you should order the proper wheel set because the offset is built into the shape of the wheel itself.

- Unless they specify, aftermarket wheels probably don't have any offset, so they may not be appropriate for your particular MR02.

- According to the Kyosho wheel set sheet the MR02 models that require special wheel sets with special offsets are: Enzo, Diablo VT, F50, Maranello, and the SLR McLaren.

- You can change the offset of your car by using the wrong wheel set, but you risk messing up your handling and/or rubbing tires on the body when you turn.

- The other MR02's run 0 offset so you can probably buy any aftermarket wheels you want, but you'll probably still want to make sure the aftermarket set contains ((2) 8.5mm fronts and (2) 11mm rears.

Now Tires...

- Tires also come in widths, but I've seen 8.5mm, 9mm, 11mm, and 12mm so make sure to check the specs carefully when selecting. The smaller sizes obviously fit the N wheels and the wider sizes fit the W wheels. I don't think it would hurt anything to have a 12mm tire overhang a 11mm wheel.

- Sometimes you'll see tires referred to as "fronts" and "rears." When they do that you can pretty much count on the fronts being 8.5mm wide and the rears being 11mm, especially if the tires only come in a package of 2. If they come in a package of 4 check to see if there are 2 N and 2 W tires in the pack or if they're all one size. Many tire packs come with all size N.

- Tires have different tread types. From what I've gathered there are three main types...

- The first is like a real car's tires, they have actual treads and are called rain tires or radials or grooved tires. If you see something like a "v groove" tire it just refers to the tire's "v" shaped tread pattern.

- The second type is normally called a slick or flat. As their names imply they have no tread, just flat rubber.

- The last is foam. Foam tires are much more limited in selection, usually for hardcore racers, and are (apparently) like velcro on certain surfaces (like carpet.)

- And finally, tires also come in compounds. This is the measurement of "stickyness" for a tire and all the manufacturers seem to use a different number or naming convention.

- Tire ratings are relative and depend on the surface you're running on. If you run a sticky tire on wet floor you'll ice skate, but you can run a hard tire on rough concrete and it will adhere well. You sort of need to use some common sense and some experimentation.

- If you see a number it's usually referred to as "degrees" and the lower the number the stickier the tire. If you see a name it's usually "hard" or "soft" or something in between.

- If I'm not mistaken GPM starts at 8, then 10, 15, 20, etc up to 35 for their rain groove tires and continues up to 55 for their slicks. Kyosho offers 20, 30, 40, 50,and 60 in N and 20, 30, 40, 50 in W. They only have about three compounds to pick from in their radial line. Foams like the ones from Squat pretty much only come in med and soft.

I think that's all for now... but keep in mind that all the above can (and usually are) mixed together so you get things like "GPM V-Groove Tires 35G Medium - Wide 11mm 2pcs" which are radials with a "v" groove pattern in the hardest radial compound that fit rear wheels and there's two in the package... right next to "Kyosho High-Grip Tires 50 Mini-Z (4)" which are the stock tires that come with the MR02 (but all the tires in this package are N's.)

To make things even more difficult for newbies there are other Kyosho 1/28th scale cars out there that are also called mini-z's and get mixed in together when you search for "mini-z tires." The Overland, Monster truck, and the F1 are three other "classes' of mini-z that cannot normally share parts (like tires and wheels) with the MR02. So if you see something like "Kyosho High-Grip Tire Set 30 Degree Overland Mini-Z" or "Kyosho High-Grip Tires 30 Mini-Z F1" or " Kyosho Tire Set V-Tread Mini-Z Monster" beware... they probably won't fit your MR02.

Hope that helped. I'm sure I've left things out and maybe even made a few mistakes. I hope not too many. If you have additional tire info I'd love to hear it.

Thanks!
Old 2005.02.15, 10:40 PM   #8
bennyfizzle
Jim apexes like poop

Send a message via AIM to bennyfizzle
i use 30s on the front and 0s in the rear for rcp track if it helps
bennyfizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.02.15, 10:58 PM   #9
mini-z racing
Team Losi

Send a message via AIM to mini-z racing
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyfizzle

o's for the rear, that would be very very soft,
www racingcity com
mini-z racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.02.16, 12:02 AM   #10
TITANIUM
ready to race...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini-z racing
o's for the rear, that would be very very soft,

cushy like.....dont squeeze the charmin....
TITANIUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.02.16, 12:06 AM   #11
byebye

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyfizzle
"0's" what brand?
byebye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.02.16, 12:08 AM   #12
TITANIUM
ready to race...

my guess would be loss of a digit....