Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2006.01.08, 07:10 PM   #1
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
January 21, 2006 GTG

ok, next round of dcps and hfay olps

spoon, i swapped the stock armature into the motor you gave me saturday for my dcps car. i'm going to test it before i go to bed tonight. is there a trick to soldering caps to motor cans? i always seem to have a hard time getting anythign to stick to the can surface.

i promise to have the frequency chart hung up next time as well.
Old 2006.01.08, 07:31 PM   #2
arch2b

bad news... i went to run my dcps car with the mod motor and poof, white cloud of smoke rises from under the pcb cover. much easier to see thanks to the convienient clear chassis damn, thats twice i've fried fets on that car those were upgrade fets too.... not sure which ones as they came from imx with d.o.w. i'll have to send it in and hope to get it back before the 21st
Old 2006.01.08, 07:45 PM   #3
Spoon
DCGTG FET Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by arch2b
spoon, i swapped the stock armature into the motor you gave me saturday for my dcps car. i'm going to test it before i go to bed tonight. is there a trick to soldering caps to motor cans? i always seem to have a hard time getting anythign to stick to the can surface.
Hmmm...I can't really think of any tricks. I usually hold the iron to the can, then after several seconds I put some solder on the point where the iron and can meet trying to get a decent "drop" of solder on the surface. Then I take the iron off, let the solder cool and position the cap.

I use one hand to push the cap down (with a tool or something) heat the solder, the cap lead drops into the liquid solder then I pull the iron away while still holding the cap down.

I think sometimes it is a little tricky because the cap is trying to pull away and the can is a big hunk of metal so it's hard to get good heat in a small space.

Anyway, I hope that helps. Let me know if you get it. It might just take a little fiddling.

Last edited by Spoon; 2006.01.08 at 07:53 PM.
Old 2006.01.08, 07:51 PM   #4
arch2b

got the caps on spoon... then proceeded to fry the fets i doubt it was the motor as there is no way a stock armature in that can with those magnets would fry and upgraded board. just seems to be my luck
Old 2006.01.08, 07:57 PM   #5
Spoon
DCGTG FET Guy

Quote:
bad news... i went to run my dcps car with the mod motor and poof, white cloud of smoke rises from under the pcb cover. much easier to see thanks to the convienient clear chassis damn, thats twice i've fried fets on that car those were upgrade fets too.... not sure which ones as they came from imx with d.o.w. i'll have to send it in and hope to get it back before the 21st
Were you running the motor that I gave you? That's a huge PITA, and it seems weird. Makes me wonder if something else is wrong. Could you do the FET replacement yourself?

By the way, what's imx with d.o.w.
Old 2006.01.08, 08:02 PM   #6
arch2b

yep, i was going to test the stock armature motor when it happened. i don't blame the motor as it was a stock armature....

imx is shorthand for imxlr8ted or something like that. he's a member here who heads up the dorks on wheels club in reading pa. he also happens to be handy with a soldering iron, especially when running races with my son who fried 3 cars the 1st trip up to pa by gunning it up against walls.

no, my soldering iron is too inferior to do fets. you need something nice like the hako unit kenotap has or just skilled hands like byebye. i have neither
Old 2006.01.08, 08:08 PM   #7
Spoon
DCGTG FET Guy

Quote:
yep, i was going to test the stock armature motor when it happened. i don't blame the motor as it was a stock armature....

imx is shorthand for imxlr8ted or something like that. he's a member here who heads up the dorks on wheels club in reading pa. he also happens to be handy with a soldering iron, especially when running races with my son who fried 3 cars the 1st trip up to pa by gunning it up against walls.

no, my soldering iron is too inferior to do fets. you need something nice like the hako unit kenotap has or just skilled hands like byebye. i have neither
ok imx makes sense now.

I have a similar RShack iron to you but I have access to a nicer iron that I used to do my MR02 replacement and OL stack. It really does take a steady hand. The RS irons are really good enough for just about everything mini-z except the FET stacks.
Old 2006.01.08, 10:34 PM   #8
soyverde
Hack Job Driver

Sorry to hear about the fets. Didn't you have two fetted cars (an RM and MM) before you started getting ready for the HFAY OLPS?
Old 2006.01.08, 10:40 PM   #9
arch2b

i currently have 5 stock fet cars, an 02, 010, 015, overland, and monster. i now only have 4 fetted cars, and 02, 015, f1, and overland.

i'm slowly thining out my garage to a mangable level i figure i could do without an 015, overland and monster but it's just so hard to let them go. each has a history and stories. one day....
Old 2006.01.08, 11:01 PM   #10
soyverde
Hack Job Driver

Sorry, that wasn't intended as a dig at your collection , I only brought it up because I figured you probably had another fet stacked board that you could swap in a pinch before the 21st...assuming you have time to do the swap.
Old 2006.01.09, 05:20 AM   #11
arch2b

no, don't worry. it wasn't taken as an offense. my other fet car has a 2x2 which is just insanely fast for the track. i need to have that reduced to a 1x1 and have the others replaced so that if it happens again i can swap them out.
Old 2006.01.12, 06:44 PM   #12
soulstice

Quote:
ok, next round of dcps and hfay olps

i promise to have the frequency chart hung up next time as well.
Little late on this thread . . . what i do for my 1/10 cars are scuff up the area on the can to take the solder, then i use one of those claw jigs(don't know what it's called put it has two clip arms and a magnifying glass) to hold whatever wires or caps that need to be held. Then solder in one had, iron in other and your done.

This used to be a real pain before i got the jig that holds stuff for you. You can get it at radio shack.
Old 2006.01.14, 03:14 PM   #13
arch2b

ok, deal for ma-010 pcb fell thru i now have 2 mr-02 pcb's in the shop for single layer fet upgrades. 1 repair job and the other is removing a double layer stack and installing a single layer. double 7xxx fets was just too damn fast for the track.

i also got some goodies this weekend

btw, not sure i posted this but i have a picture of my youngest practicing with us from the last gtg i think it was. just love this picture

my 18 inch flat panel crapped out on me with 160 some days left on my extended warranty. emailed a support issue/ticket and 3 days latter i'm back in business, the gtg control station is back in business

here are some of the goodies i got today in the mail!
Old 2006.01.14, 07:32 PM   #14
arch2b

spoon, do you have anymore of the cf sheet/decal left? i got an unpainted trueno for my son but he insits on the black bonnet just like the anime i'd hate to paint it when i could just as easily paste a decal/sticker on
Old 2006.01.14, 09:31 PM   #15
Spoon
DCGTG FET Guy

Quote:
spoon, do you have anymore of the cf sheet/decal left? i got an unpainted trueno for my son but he insits on the black bonnet just like the anime i'd hate to paint it when i could just as easily paste a decal/sticker on
Got your email and responded.
Closed Thread