Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts

Go Back   Mini-ZRacer.com Forums > Manufacturers > Flip Side

Old 2010.04.12, 10:09 PM   #16
Treadmule
Tire Crew

It rained here today and I wasn't able to set up my track on the patio as I usually do, so no testing done. It'll be a few days till I can try again.

I noticed a couple minor cosmetic things in Mac version 0.24:
- Typos on a couple of the "Car" panel buttons (Neutral & Virtual Inertia)
- For Car Type - ASF a few items are grayed out on the "Car" panel, but they seem to be editable in the "Custom" panel.

But, those are just tiny glitches. The software seems very solid and easy to use and that's what counts.
Old 2010.04.12, 10:32 PM   #17
pinwc4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treadmule View Post
It rained here today and I wasn't able to set up my track on the patio as I usually do, so no testing done. It'll be a few days till I can try again.

I noticed a couple minor cosmetic things in Mac version 0.24:
- Typos on a couple of the "Car" panel buttons (Neutral & Virtual Inertia)
- For Car Type - ASF a few items are grayed out on the "Car" panel, but they seem to be editable in the "Custom" panel.

But, those are just tiny glitches. The software seems very solid and easy to use and that's what counts.
Thanks for the feedback, I will get those typos fixed. I had not payed close attention to the spelling yet.

As for the options in the Custom panel I did that on purpose. The custom panel is intended to let you change any of the values to anything you want without any enforced rules like the Car menu options. The values may not do anything but it lets us experiment some.

For example I would really like someone with an MR-03 to use the custom panel to set the Back Timing to 0. The main program only lets 1 be the lowest option but I am really curious if 0 would work. It would be awesome if we could get rid of the back timing altogether. It may not have any effect or it may cause erratic behavior, we do not know until someone tries.
pinwc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.04.13, 12:41 AM   #18
PridgeoK

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinwc4 View Post
USB is easier, I could probably do those for about $35.

Not sure there would be enough interest in the hardware based on the person on the marketplace selling the ICS serial port adapters much cheaper than the Kyosho stuff but does not appear to get very many sales. Without a quantity of sales I could not justify the investment in parts to bring prices down.

Interested? Definitely.

I'm not all that thrilled with the idea of a serial port cable from the marketplace for connecting the car (my laptop doesn't even have a serial port), so a USB version would be awesome. Kyosho's product is too much $$ for my meager budget, though I've been sorely tempted to dish out for it in the past. I've borrowed it before from a friend, but without having access to it on a regular basis it's pretty hard to try out different settings, so the temptation remains.

So yes - certainly, I'm raising my hand for an inexpensive USB version using your software. Sounds promising already and looks to be even more flexible than Kyosho's product.

Good work!! Looking forward to how this one turns out for you!

Kevin.
PridgeoK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.04.17, 10:49 PM   #19
Treadmule
Tire Crew

I had a little test time yesterday afternoon, so I tried a couple variations with the ICS software.

Virtual Inertia set to zero caused my MR-02 to randomly run-away at full throttle, even with a neutral trigger. Hitting brakes stopped it. I tried a few other "in between" settings, but didn't encounter anything obvious. On the other hand, I don't have a timing system, nor am I that consistent in my driving to tell if the changes I made were having any impact. Maybe the changes are subtle and require a more refined driver than me to reveal their characteristics.

Have you had any more thoughts about the hardware? I'm also interested in a USB cable. Maybe you'd consider just showing the schematic with parts list rather than providing finished cables. Let us DIY?
Old 2010.04.20, 09:14 AM   #20
pinwc4

Quote:
I had a little test time yesterday afternoon, so I tried a couple variations with the ICS software.

Virtual Inertia set to zero caused my MR-02 to randomly run-away at full throttle, even with a neutral trigger. Hitting brakes stopped it. I tried a few other "in between" settings, but didn't encounter anything obvious. On the other hand, I don't have a timing system, nor am I that consistent in my driving to tell if the changes I made were having any impact. Maybe the changes are subtle and require a more refined driver than me to reveal their characteristics.

Have you had any more thoughts about the hardware? I'm also interested in a USB cable. Maybe you'd consider just showing the schematic with parts list rather than providing finished cables. Let us DIY?
Thanks for the feedback, that is interesting information. I figured 0 could be a problematic value for some of those settings. Still holding out hope that it will work for the Back Timing on the MR-03 though.

I have the same issue as you, I am not a consistent enough driver to be able to tell how small changes are impacting my car.

In regards to a USB cable I will come up with something. I would not base a schematic on what I have built as it was just using parts I already had sitting around.

Has anyone else tried this software and have feedback? Is this software useful for people? Is there any features that you would like to see?
Old 2010.04.26, 06:24 PM   #21
akura2
PROFESSOR TRUTH JIMMY ICE

Send a message via Skype™ to akura2
I opened the software with my USB-serial-ICS plug plugged in, and when the software opens, I just get options in the COM area for blackberry8320-dialupNE2, Blackberry 8320-blackber 1, bluetooth modem and bluetooth PDA sync... nothing for USB
Old 2010.04.26, 08:18 PM   #22
z3zinho

WOOWWW...

Really nice and usefull... now i can tune my ASF cars directly from macos instead of using parallels

Next time i'm at the track i will see if the fine tuning adjustments make any difference

By the way, by any chance can you/will you make the source code available?
Old 2010.04.26, 08:19 PM   #23
pinwc4

Quote:
Originally Posted by akura2 View Post
I opened the software with my USB-serial-ICS plug plugged in, and when the software opens, I just get options in the COM area for blackberry8320-dialupNE2, Blackberry 8320-blackber 1, bluetooth modem and bluetooth PDA sync... nothing for USB
From the name of those COM ports I am guessing you are on a Mac. If that is the case then you must not have the driver installed for the USB adapter. If you are using the Kyosho USB adapter you need to download the FTDI driver from here:

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

If you are using something other than the Kyosho adapter then you will need the appropriate driver for the USB to Serial adapter that is being used.
Old 2010.04.26, 08:34 PM   #24
pinwc4

Quote:
Originally Posted by z3zinho View Post
WOOWWW...

Really nice and usefull... now i can tune my ASF cars directly from macos instead of using parallels

Next time i'm at the track i will see if the fine tuning adjustments make any difference

By the way, by any chance can you/will you make the source code available?
Source is already available

You can download it via subversion at this URL:
http://www.flipsideracing.org/svn_fsics/

Eventually I will have a project site up with details.
Unfinished project site
Old 2010.04.27, 06:03 PM   #25
akura2

Quote:
From the name of those COM ports I am guessing you are on a Mac. If that is the case then you must not have the driver installed for the USB adapter. If you are using the Kyosho USB adapter you need to download the FTDI driver from here:

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

If you are using something other than the Kyosho adapter then you will need the appropriate driver for the USB to Serial adapter that is being used.
yes I am on a Mac... I'll look around for the specific driver... but I downloaded a driver from Apple that's supposed to cover all serial to USB devices... oh well.. I'll try again

EDIT** Downloaded the driver posted above... (mine is not a Kyosho device) and the software works flawlessly.... THANKS!!!

now I don't have to go back and forth to Boot Camp in order to program my cars on my MAC... YAY!... and your GUI is SO much nicer looking than Kyosho's....

Last edited by akura2; 2010.04.27 at 09:04 PM.
akura2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.04.27, 07:27 PM   #26
pinwc4

Quote:
Originally Posted by akura2 View Post
yes I am on a Mac... I'll look around for the specific driver... but I downloaded a driver from Apple that's supposed to cover all serial to USB devices... oh well.. I'll try again
I do not think that Apple provides a driver for the FTDI based serial adapters so you could try installing what I linked above, it may just work for you. It is one of the most common chips used for USB to serial adapters. The other common chip is from Silicon Labs

In both cases you are going to need the VCP (Virtual COM Port) drivers

Who made your ICS adapter?
Old 2010.04.27, 11:04 PM   #27
akura2

Quote:
I do not think that Apple provides a driver for the FTDI based serial adapters so you could try installing what I linked above, it may just work for you. It is one of the most common chips used for USB to serial adapters. The other common chip is from Silicon Labs

In both cases you are going to need the VCP (Virtual COM Port) drivers

Who made your ICS adapter?
a friend of mine that works at RC Car Action made the ICS cable... and I got the USB adapter from Fry's... but like I said above... the link you gave me works great and the software kicks butt!
Old 2010.04.30, 06:12 PM   #28
pinwc4

I have posted a new version of the software and made a basic site for managing the software. The new version corrects some mistakes with the text and adds hints for the main controls. There is no new functionality added with this version.

You can download it from here:
http://www.flipsideracing.org/projects/FlipSideICS/
Old 2010.05.04, 10:07 PM   #29
Treadmule
Tire Crew

Quote:
I have posted a new version of the software and made a basic site for managing the software. The new version corrects some mistakes with the text and adds hints for the main controls. There is no new functionality added with this version.

You can download it from here:
http://www.flipsideracing.org/projects/FlipSideICS/
I downloaded the Mac version and tried it. It appears to be exactly the same as the original version, .024 with the same typos and no apparent changes... unless I'm doing something wrong.
Old 2010.05.05, 09:25 AM   #30
pinwc4

Quote:
I downloaded the Mac version and tried it. It appears to be exactly the same as the original version, .024 with the same typos and no apparent changes... unless I'm doing something wrong.
Go ahead and try again. I had ran into this before with other downloads I posted where web browsers were using a cached copy instead of seeing the new version. I think I have that problem taken care of now.

The new version will say it is version 0.27