Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2016.04.19, 04:52 PM   #1
Blf

DC Power Supply XT90 to Alligators

I'm considering the Venom 1350w power supply. I see this has the dual XT90 Male outputs….. I want to use this (among other things) to power my 12v Hudy micro tire truer that has alligator clips.

What is the safe way to connect alligator clips to this type of XT90 male outputs? Is there an XT90 female to banana/bullets that I should use?
Blf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.04.19, 05:16 PM   #2
mleemor60
Curmudgeon & Moderator

At 12V you probably won't be happy with the results from the truer. Although you would still need a basic power supply using a Motor Master to control out put voltage is the way to go. Truing results are best at around 6-7V output. This reduces the heat build up in the tire as it is trued.

With the onset of VE motors the Motor Master has fallen out of favor but it is still a very versatile tool.
mleemor60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.04.19, 05:41 PM   #3
Blf

Can you recommend/point me in the direction of the motor master and a good power supply? Links?
Old 2016.04.19, 06:35 PM   #4
lfisminiz
MINI-Z BODY NUT

Remember...i recomended a motor master for that. I now use my power supply for my light and my Hitec 4 chargers. Its MUCH easier to hook truer to a lipo. Have to look around for motormaster type.

DG DESIGNS - PN RACING - MANTISWORX
lfisminiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.04.19, 07:17 PM   #5
Blf

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfisminiz View Post
Remember...i recomended a motor master for that. I now use my power supply for my light and my Hitec 4 chargers. Its MUCH easier to hook truer to a lipo. Have to look around for motormaster type.
Absolutely understand Larry but would like to have a power supply to use it with as well so I'm still confused as to why I can't find a 0-15v or 0-24v dc power supply that would be easy to hook a truer with alligators up to?
Old 2016.04.19, 07:42 PM   #6
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
good like finding an adjustable power supply that also provides the power at appropriate amps. to little and the truer stutters.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.04.19, 09:56 PM   #7
lfisminiz
MINI-Z BODY NUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blf View Post
Absolutely understand Larry but would like to have a power supply to use it with as well so I'm still confused as to why I can't find a 0-15v or 0-24v dc power supply that would be easy to hook a truer with alligators up to?
Put a search on Google. For Muchmore motor master. I saw some for sale...U.S. and overseas. Probably won't find Trinity version.

DG DESIGNS - PN RACING - MANTISWORX
lfisminiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.04.20, 05:49 AM   #8
mleemor60
Curmudgeon & Moderator

It wasn't meant to be a solicitation but I know where there is a Motor Master for sale. One of our racers has one to part with.
Old 2016.04.20, 06:12 AM   #9
Blf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleemor60 View Post
It wasn't meant to be a solicitation but I know where there is a Motor Master for sale. One of our racers has one to part with.
Nice ---- just to be clear, I would put the Motor master BETWEEN the DC power supply and the truer to step down the volts to 7.2v? How does the Motor Master connect to input and output ? Both alligator?

Im still confused as to why Hudy insists that it requires 12v whereas everyone tells me 12v is too much and 6-7v is the sweet spot.
Old 2016.04.20, 08:15 AM   #10
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
at 12+v the drum spins incredibly fast as there is no adjustment. This can melt tires when truing.
I have not found an adjustable power supply that goes below 12v. Not have I found a 6-7v power supply that provides enough amps. Dynamite makes a small adjustable unit that goes down to about 11.8-12v.

What I use now is a PC power supply as it has a range of outputs with sufficient amps. Still to fast but works well and easy to carry around. It's a server blade power supply.

I like the setup other have with lipo cells but I myself don't want to bother with the hassle of dealing with lipo cells, not to mention I don't have a charger for them not want to purchase a charger just for them. Trying to keep it simple and eliminate the clutter of devices, etc.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.04.20, 01:06 PM   #11
mleemor60
Curmudgeon & Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blf View Post
Nice ---- just to be clear, I would put the Motor master BETWEEN the DC power supply and the truer to step down the volts to 7.2v? How does the Motor Master connect to input and output ? Both alligator?

Im still confused as to why Hudy insists that it requires 12v whereas everyone tells me 12v is too much and 6-7v is the sweet spot.
The Hudy was originally intended for use with slot car tires which for the most part are foam. Totally different parameters. Less heat build up which allows faster cutting. The Motor Master connects with Alligator clips to the battery directly or via any adapter you make or choose. Once the unit powers up you just go through the menu and find voltage adjust for motor run and enter the voltage desired. Push start and the Motor Master powers the truer. Once you have trued the tire to the appropriate diameter, set the depth stop so that the second or subsequent tires can be cut to the same diameter.
Old 2016.04.20, 04:02 PM   #12
briankstan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleemor60 View Post
The Hudy was originally intended for use with slot car tires which for the most part are foam. Totally different parameters. Less heat build up which allows faster cutting. The Motor Master connects with Alligator clips to the battery directly or via any adapter you make or choose. Once the unit powers up you just go through the menu and find voltage adjust for motor run and enter the voltage desired. Push start and the Motor Master powers the truer. Once you have trued the tire to the appropriate diameter, set the depth stop so that the second or subsequent tires can be cut to the same diameter.
could the same thing be accomplished using an old ICE Charger using the Motor Break in on it. it allows for you to set the voltage that you would want it to output. this would be a simple way to power it as well. I might have to just test this out. I have an old charger that is simply just sitting there not being used.
Old 2016.04.20, 05:12 PM   #13
Blf

Quote:
Originally Posted by arch2b View Post
at 12+v the drum spins incredibly fast as there is no adjustment. This can melt tires when truing.
I have not found an adjustable power supply that goes below 12v. Not have I found a 6-7v power supply that provides enough amps. Dynamite makes a small adjustable unit that goes down to about 11.8-12v.

What I use now is a PC power supply as it has a range of outputs with sufficient amps. Still to fast but works well and easy to carry around. It's a server blade power supply.

I like the setup other have with lipo cells but I myself don't want to bother with the hassle of dealing with lipo cells, not to mention I don't have a charger for them not want to purchase a charger just for them. Trying to keep it simple and eliminate the clutter of devices, etc.
Thanks for the time/info! I don't get then why they (Hudy) insists on the 12v..... I do in fact have plenty of 2S lipos but feel like that's not the best way --- maybe it is? My brother has the older Venom PS600 which is 0-20v I think .... cant find one anywhere. If you could direct mee to the power supply you are using that would be great
Old 2016.04.20, 05:12 PM   #14
Blf

Quote:
Originally Posted by arch2b View Post

Thanks for the time/info! I don't get then why they (Hudy) insists on the 12v..... I do in fact have plenty of 2S lipos but feel like that's not the best way --- maybe it is? My brother has the older Venom PS600 which is 0-20v I think .... cant find one anywhere. If you could direct me to the power supply you are using that would be great