Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts

Go Back   Mini-ZRacer.com Forums > General Discussion > Setups

Old 2019.03.18, 12:56 PM   #1
Smokey_truck

Brushed MR03 sports to Dasmikro Brushless, PN motor

Hello,

I want to convert over Brushed MR03 sports to Dasmikro Brushless, PN motor, I have the 3500kv motor and DASMIKRO ASF brushless board now what do I need in the chasis to fit all this. I did see Arch2B post but he was converting over exactly like MR03 VE Pro but do I need to get the same stuff to convert over?

Smokey
Old 2019.03.18, 01:26 PM   #2
SuperFly
bitPimp

It's pretty much the same swap as a brushed board. You will need to keep your current servo motor and power switch. Just leave both in place, no need to remove them, just unsolder the wires. There are three servo pot wires (orange, white, green), two servo motor wires (black, red), and two power switch wires (both black). Be careful with the power switch wire pads that you don't get solder crossing over, they're very close together.

Take a picture of the wiring connections before you unsolder the old board.

What motor mount do you plan on using? Obviously you will need one that can mount the motor in question. It matters if it has screw mounting holes or not for both motor and mount.

mini-z gallery

PDX Mini-Z
SuperFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.03.18, 02:10 PM   #3
Smokey_truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFly View Post
It's pretty much the same swap as a brushed board. You will need to keep your current servo motor and power switch. Just leave both in place, no need to remove them, just unsolder the wires. There are three servo pot wires (orange, white, green), two servo motor wires (black, red), and two power switch wires (both black). Be careful with the power switch wire pads that you don't get solder crossing over, they're very close together.

Take a picture of the wiring connections before you unsolder the old board.

What motor mount do you plan on using? Obviously you will need one that can mount the motor in question. It matters if it has screw mounting holes or not for both motor and mount.
Thanks for the quick response, I am going to use MM mount and I think motor should fit I guess. So the brushless boards seems little bit longer so I asked the question.

Smokey
Old 2019.03.18, 02:17 PM   #4
SuperFly
bitPimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey_truck View Post
Thanks for the quick response, I am going to use MM mount and I think motor should fit I guess. So the brushless boards seems little bit longer so I asked the question.

Smokey
yes, it fits though, but you reminded me that there is a part I think needs to be shaved a bit. It's the part that holds the servo motor in place.

Sorry I can't be more specific, I put that Das Mikro board in a PN chassis, so I had a slightly different situation.

If you look at this picture of the official conversion kit, you can see what they give you:

That little part to the upper left of the motor is different / needs modification.

Edit: re-thinking my entire "it fits" response; forgot you are starting with a Sport cover. you will need to cut a few holes for the ports, or get the MZ502 upper cover set

mini-z gallery

PDX Mini-Z

Last edited by SuperFly; 2019.03.18 at 02:26 PM.
SuperFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.03.18, 05:24 PM   #5
Smokey_truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFly View Post
yes, it fits though, but you reminded me that there is a part I think needs to be shaved a bit. It's the part that holds the servo motor in place.

Sorry I can't be more specific, I put that Das Mikro board in a PN chassis, so I had a slightly different situation.

If you look at this picture of the official conversion kit, you can see what they give you:

That little part to the upper left of the motor is different / needs modification.

Edit: re-thinking my entire "it fits" response; forgot you are starting with a Sport cover. you will need to cut a few holes for the ports, or get the MZ502 upper cover set
I pulled the top part and the brushed top plate which covers the board does not match to brushless board, I ordered thee top plate from eBay, hopefully that will fit

Smokey
Old 2019.03.18, 07:32 PM   #6
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
The lower chassis is also different. You might be able to get it to work with just a top cover. The primary difference is in the servo motor restraint. On the VE, it is much lower profile. On the brushed chassis, it screws through the top deck to restrain it (these screws would interfere with the brushless board.

I wish it was as easy as just swapping the board and you get brushless, but in reality it requires a new chassis entirely. Either a PN or VE/EVO lower and upper chassis (including servo motor restraint).
Old 2019.03.19, 01:02 PM   #7
Smokey_truck

Brushed MR-03 sports to ASF Dasmikro Brushless done

So after soldering the board, the board fits on the MR-03 sports chassis and everything fits. Only issue I had was that paring button hole doesnot lineup to the top cover, I just cut a hole and issue resolved.

I moved all the servo wires one to one on to DASMIKRO brushless board and I didnot have the steering and when I looked up the wiring drawing, red wire and black wire going to pot are swapped in the brushless boards.

I swapped and everything is fine.

Thanks again for all the inputs, it helps a lot.

Smokey
Old 2019.03.19, 09:18 PM   #8
EMU
EMUracing

Do the screws fit through the top deck/ servo motor holder? Can you post a pic of the setup installed?
Old 2019.03.20, 01:33 AM   #9
herman

Sorry for newbie question...

I didn't quite notice... but is the main chassis part of the mr03ve the same as the mr03?

Looks like the mr03 has a side tab for the front servo cover for N and W options... while the ve version has none...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190320-141943_Samsung Internet.jpg (195.5 KB, 55 views)
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.03.20, 02:39 AM   #10
EMU
EMUracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by herman View Post
Sorry for newbie question...

I didn't quite notice... but is the main chassis part of the mr03ve the same as the mr03?

Looks like the mr03 has a side tab for the front servo cover for N and W options... while the ve version has none...
The VE top cover is one piece, where brushed variants have a 2 piece top cover. The VE cover has no side tabs.
Old 2019.03.20, 07:57 AM   #11
Smokey_truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMU View Post
Do the screws fit through the top deck/ servo motor holder? Can you post a pic of the setup installed?
Yes I will post the picture, only thing I changed was brushless board so all the screw mounting holes are same since it is the same chassis. I think this is one of the cheapest way to get brushless system in MR03 brushed ones without counting motor and ASF radio🤑

Smokey
Old 2019.03.20, 05:34 PM   #12
herman

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMU View Post
The VE top cover is one piece, where brushed variants have a 2 piece top cover. The VE cover has no side tabs.
Will you be able to use the ve top on the mr03 brushed chassis if you shave off the side tabs?
Old 2019.03.20, 06:40 PM   #13
Smokey_truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by herman View Post
Will you be able to use the ve top on the mr03 brushed chassis if you shave off the side tabs?
I am waiting for my VRE top to come in the mail so I can try it out, at this point really the cover is working fine, I probably will use it for next conversion, I have few brushed mrO3, I need to convert so I can use with Ex-6R Dario and also get brushless system.

I bought couple of VRE pro models and ended up changing motor so now I think doing brushed to brushless of existing ones and add motor is better option.

Smokey
Old 2019.03.20, 06:55 PM   #14
herman

Just looked at the manual... looks like main chassis is not compatible...
The mr03 chassis has two bigger screws holding the servo motor...
While the mr03ve has much smaller screws... unless there is a way around it...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190321_075113.jpg (185.0 KB, 45 views)
Old 2019.03.20, 06:59 PM   #15
herman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey_truck View Post
I am waiting for my VRE top to come in the mail so I can try it out, at this point really the cover is working fine, I probably will use it for next conversion, I have few brushed mrO3, I need to convert so I can use with Ex-6R Dario and also get brushless system.

I bought couple of VRE pro models and ended up changing motor so now I think doing brushed to brushless of existing ones and add motor is better option.

Smokey
Just saw your post so I guess you can use the brushless board in the mr03 chassis... good to hear... looking forward to some pics...pics