Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2008.03.02, 09:19 PM   #16
Tim Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermbuster View Post
Let me become LC
it is braking.... not breaking(unless you cannot brake properly)
the reality is it is "new" and give it a chance. Everyone is used to doing things a certian way (safety zone) move out of it and learn how to do something new and you may be surprised......
Any of the Cruizin guys want to sell there 2.4s im interested......
LOL...When you post quickly things like that tend to come about.....
Old 2008.03.02, 10:15 PM   #17
Felix2010

Tim, I have been using your advice and reverse is becoming more smooth as I practice. Thanks for the tip.
Felix2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.03.03, 10:29 AM   #18
MikeL
Painter Guy

Mini-z is the only r/c racing that I have done that even allows reverse, it really should be banned, I know I have been taken out of an ill timed reverse, as well as occasionally accidentally doing the same to others.
MikeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.03.03, 11:59 AM   #19
xxam

Question Tim/Berm - did you miss this ??

Tim how does the LM allow me to play with braking, that is different
over my MM ??

Berm.. have you raced yours yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxam View Post
I think my crash counts have been reduced just due to fear of having to reverse. That may be good, if I can continue to do it when I pick my speed back up. However, crashes are not always self inflicted.

I can use the reverse with not much problem using Tims tip and some practice. However, during a race, all motions speed up, and you tend to beat the delay with your finger stroke, and thus no reverse... and many times with the field nearing at race speed, eeeekk. As with anything new, you should always give it a chance, god knows Im old enough to have learned that!
I have raced it for several hours, (in simulated racing, with 3 and 4 others) and I still miss getting the new reversing technique, more than I make it. My car has been exposed to injury, and my race position lost.
I already use braking often in my race style, (adjusted in my 3pk) and that has never been an issue with my 02MM nor is it now with the 2.4 model 02LM. No change there that I can see, except the perfex can adjust braking, wheras the old stock controller couldnt.

??Tim how does the LM allow me to play with braking, that is different over my MM ??

There are also many drivers that become frustrated sooner than others, and they just close the door and move back to their 02, etc. However, Ill ask those who were annoyed if they want to sell them . I think they want them, just never to race, thus my original post title. I speak only for myself, and not for cruizin.

Berm.. have you raced yours yet?
xxam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.03.03, 12:13 PM   #20
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
The main problem I have with this reverse delay, is that right now the 2.4ghz is not permitted in many stock classes, so it must be run in modified class. If you get into the board, near an apex. You will get plowed into long before you can get to reverse off the line. There are many drivers that cannot look far enough ahead on the track especially when running a modified car to be able to see you stuck and go around.

Also many races are determined by fractions of a second. Comparatively to all of the other electronics, the 2.4 is now at a severe disadvantage. I can understand why Kyosho decided to do that, however, I hope that it is a feature that can be switched off. This should have been an option, not the standard.

I believe what Tim is referring to as Play with braking... is that you can brake>coast>brake. Which on other boards, would cause you to enter reverse. This should been an option. I know that I dont use brakes that much. And I honestly dont know anyone that does. The way that the brake feature has been ever since it was introduced, has been perfect.

I understand that many other scales do not allow reverse, Mini-Z do reverse... and to have one that should be very competetive, have a delayed reverse, that you have to sit on the track still for half a second, sometimes more... is not a good thing.
Old 2008.03.03, 12:30 PM   #21
Tim Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMU View Post
I noticed that you cannot engage reverse if steering input is applied. Do you notice the same with your cars?
Actualy you can go into reverse when you apply steering.

EMU is correct on his statement about braking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMU View Post

I understand that many other scales do not allow reverse, Mini-Z do reverse... and to have one that should be very competetive, have a delayed reverse, that you have to sit on the track still for half a second, sometimes more... is not a good thing.
Once you get down the reverse procedure, it will not take any longer than a 27mhz board to go into reverse. And even with 27mhz, I have experienced the car not wanting to go into reverse right away.

It will take time for most to adjust, and those that do, will have the advantage.

Last edited by Tim Johnson; 2008.03.03 at 12:38 PM.
Tim Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.03.03, 01:43 PM   #22
bermbuster
GF Racing

right now the 2.4 platform is new and the amount of them in a class may be few.....once you have a class of them then everybody will be on a level playing field.....Maybe taking a long time to reverse will in the long run make you a better driver....

I didnt race mine yet because I didnt recieve it yet.....and right now I am trying to focus on my skills for the Atomic Race....I do want the 2.4 and can't wait to race it....against a field of similar cars...
bermbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.03.03, 03:20 PM   #23
benmlee

A good feature of the reverse delay is that now you can use ABS brake function on those high end transmitters. The ABS function pulse the brakes like on a real car. Except with the old mini-z board, the pulse made the car go into reverse. Now with the delay, you can actually use the ABS function to get better braking.
When I drove the 2.4 for a little while, it was difficult to go into reverse. There are so many variation on how to go into reverse, we need to figure out exactly what the programing logic is to get into reverse. The manual said to hit reverse like normal, then stay in neutral for .2 sec and go reverse again. I don't think that is how the board behaves. .2 sec is very short, I can't believe people can beat .2 sec with their figure. The manual must be wrong then. Another version is you have to hit reverse very fast. Then some say you have to hold reverse for 1 sec. Other say you have to go full reverse to trip the reverse lockout. It would be nice to get the real story, then people can come up with their own techniques accommodate the lockout.
benmlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.03.03, 03:36 PM   #24
Tim Johnson

Take a look at my first post in this thread. That is how you get into reverse.
Old 2008.03.03, 06:48 PM   #25
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
Quote:
Originally Posted by bermbuster View Post
right now the 2.4 platform is new and the amount of them in a class may be few.....once you have a class of them then everybody will be on a level playing field.....Maybe taking a long time to reverse will in the long run make you a better driver....

I didnt race mine yet because I didnt recieve it yet.....and right now I am trying to focus on my skills for the Atomic Race....I do want the 2.4 and can't wait to race it....against a field of similar cars...
I am trying to decide whether to build up my 2.4 or an Ad-Band setup for the mod 2wd class for the Atomic regional. Right now I am leaning to Ad, but I will continue to test the car during practice and see what feels better come the race. Both cars should be equally fast, I would just choose the car that is more comfortable.

I had difficulty entering reverse a few times, even after driving it two days in a row. Sometimes I would have to fwd throttle a little the break, pause then reverse.

I am not giving up on the 2.4, I believe if the glitches (so to speak) are worked out, this will be the electronics of the future. I dont see any reason to run any AM cars anymore.
Old 2008.03.03, 08:05 PM   #26
rharris
that Orange car is fast..

Send a message via Yahoo to rharris
Reverse is a non issue.

Reverse works exactly like the AM and AD modules. The trick is to adjust your throttle trim correctly.

Put the car on a block, turn everything on, then click down on the throttle trim until the wheel starts to go in reverse. Then click up once.

Now try reverse. Keep fiddling with this adjustment till it works like you would expect.

I think this is just one of them times where we don't trust something because it's new. So we forget to trouble shoot the obvious.

Come Race with us!!! Club Pics
rharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.03.03, 08:31 PM   #27
xxam

nice...works like a charm. Cant wait to try it on the track. When in doubt, go back to basics... shoulda woulda, didnt.

Thanks for posting
xxam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.03.03, 08:55 PM   #28
Felix2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by rharris View Post
Reverse works exactly like the AM and AD modules. The trick is to adjust your throttle trim correctly.

Put the car on a block, turn everything on, then click down on the throttle trim until the wheel starts to go in reverse. Then click up once.

Now try reverse. Keep fiddling with this adjustment till it works like you would expect.

I think this is just one of them times where we don't trust something because it's new. So we forget to trouble shoot the obvious.
Thanks rharris for the tip
Felix2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.03.04, 01:30 AM   #29
herman

Quote:
The trick is to adjust your throttle trim correctly.
tried the tip tim gave and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't...
going to try rharris' tip soon... i have a feeling it will work... it will be great news if it does....
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.03.04, 09:59 AM   #30
herman

reverse issue - solution

hi folks
was a bit disappointed in the reverse function on the 2.4asf chassis... having slight delays, sometimes not even engaging into reverse...

after trying out tim johnson & rharris' tips, i still had some reverse issues...

so i resorted to reading the mr02lm manual.... hehe

p24 gives it all... (i summarized it into 3 simple) steps:

1. basically raise your car off the ground (so it doesn't run off unsuspectedly) fiddle around with the throttle trim (press A/up) till the wheels start moving forward

2. then adjust throttle trim (press B/down) till the wheels stop, then press B a few more times until beeping sound from the chassis stops

3. finally press B 8 more times (might be 7,8,9 or more - i guess 8 is more or less the benchmark)

reverse should work a lot better now. almost like the am mr02 chassis...

you can use this method if your car is initially going in reverse - just press A till it goes forward. then go through the whole process again...

if it still doesn't work, try to reset the transmitter

hope this helps

Last edited by herman; 2008.03.04 at 11:50 PM.
herman is offline   Reply With Quote