Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2013.01.24, 08:08 PM   #1
rodolfosolis

Brushless MR03VE on AWD chassis?

Does anybody know if the brushless motor would fit on an AWD chassis, using an MR03VE main board, just replacing the servo motor with an standard AWD servo motor? Thank you for your information!
rodolfosolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.01.24, 08:45 PM   #2
DMALMAD

I would assume so since the new brushless motor is the same size as a stock brushed motor and plenty of people have converted their awd's to run mr-03 boards, but I may be wrong.
DMALMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.01.24, 09:02 PM   #3
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

The VE board is visually bigger than an mr03 board but doesn't look much bigger length wise than an AM board so I bet it'll be an easy conversion.

my custom body album...
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/album.php?albumid=192
cowboysir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.01.25, 09:02 AM   #4
yamar6

It should fit
yamar6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.01.25, 10:42 AM   #5
d1nzfe

Yes it fits, only the top cover needs to trim alittle to clear the longer board.

A pic without the cover .

Last edited by d1nzfe; 2013.01.25 at 10:45 AM.
d1nzfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.01.25, 11:14 AM   #6
herman

nice! rims choice as well… were you able to figure out programming the ve on the computer?
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.01.25, 03:35 PM   #7
TheSteve
VE7FM

Running the brushless in my AWD is my goal. The efficiency and power should work really well with the AWD, not to mention the drivetrain offers enough drag braking so the the fact that the motor has very little should work out great.

My AWD already stomps all the MR03s, may as well make it even quicker.
TheSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.01.25, 05:04 PM   #8
Felix2010

Sick whip d1inzfe daddy like.

@TheSteve- Keep kickin' tail and takin' names with your AWD, glad to hear someone has the courage to run AWD vs MR03.hehe As for making the AWD quicker? I think brushless is definitely AWD-friendly, torque-heavy punch plus very respectable high-end RPM. If Kyosho's Orion VE BL motor delivers this much performance right out the gate, I hope to see upgraded brushless motors to up the performance ante of the AWD even more.. We shall see.

I definitely would love to see more photos and track/race results of brushless-AWD conversions
Old 2013.01.25, 07:32 PM   #9
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSteve View Post
Running the brushless in my AWD is my goal. The efficiency and power should work really well with the AWD, not to mention the drivetrain offers enough drag braking so the the fact that the motor has very little should work out great.

My AWD already stomps all the MR03s, may as well make it even quicker.
It also helps you and Grant have been RC racing for 30+ years...

I do think a BL AWD would be the way to go.

my custom body album...
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/album.php?albumid=192
cowboysir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.01.25, 08:13 PM   #10
TheSteve
VE7FM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysir View Post
It also helps you and Grant have been RC racing for 30+ years...

I do think a BL AWD would be the way to go.
Years of experience never hurts(only been driving RC for 27 years though) I haven't driven my awd at a meet for a long time, only my mr03. At home though no matter the day or layout my awd is always faster then my mr03. Grant saw it and configured an awd in a similar manor, his awd is also faster then his mr03. They are more work to drive though, we do miss the mr03 steering servo.
You are a long ways away but if you're ever in Langley let me know, you can drop by and do some laps. A good sized track is setup 24/7.

Last edited by TheSteve; 2013.01.25 at 08:57 PM.
Old 2013.01.25, 08:39 PM   #11
herman

Quote:
TheSteve
not to mention the drivetrain offers enough drag braking so the the fact that the motor has very little should work out great.
hi, with the limited time i had with the mr03ve (d1nzfe let me try his when i visited singapore), it did have very little drag brake, like it was more like coasting to a stop rather than braking (kinda like the dnano, if you tried one)… i believe drag braking can be programmed once linked to the computer.
Old 2013.01.25, 09:00 PM   #12
TheSteve
VE7FM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herman View Post
hi, with the limited time i had with the mr03ve (d1nzfe let me try his when i visited singapore), it did have very little drag brake, like it was more like coasting to a stop rather than braking (kinda like the dnano, if you tried one)… i believe drag braking can be programmed once linked to the computer.
It sounds perfect for the awd car, the transmission provides plenty of drag braking, the motor doesn't need to provide any. I have two dnanos - great little cars! Now if I could find a place with an mr03ve in stock(at a good price) so I can get one and remove the electronics and motor.
Old 2013.01.27, 09:37 AM   #13
d1nzfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by herman View Post
nice! rims choice as well… were you able to figure out programming the ve on the computer?
we havent got any luck with that yet, the same goes for those in malaysia.
d1nzfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.01.27, 08:51 PM   #14
herman

i think that there is some sort of an adapter that you have to use...

from here kyosho blog
Old 2013.01.31, 11:37 AM   #15
TheSteve
VE7FM

Mr03ve is on the way, should have my AWD converted to brushless next week some time. Will be fun to compare lap times on my home track with the brushless versus an Xpseed V AWD motor.