Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2008.01.16, 09:22 AM   #1
Nightcargo

Caster

I see some of you are using the PN towers with .5 and 1 degree caster bars. Have you noticed handling improvements? What combos work best with McLarens and SC430s? Thanks.
Nightcargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.01.16, 05:44 PM   #2
Tjay

I cut my chassis right away and install this caster bars not because of performance but to eliminate having a broken car in the middle of the race.

I did notice some chattering when I had the stock arms. When I cut it and upgrade to PN it went away. But i'm not sure if this is because of the stock arms.

I have .5 on all my cars. Which includes two McLarens.
Tjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.01.17, 01:15 AM   #3
herman

Caster Angle

Caster angle is the angle between an imaginary line connecting the top pivot ball and the bottom pivot ball of the steering block, with respect to a line perpendicular to the ground. Caster angle affects on- and off-power steering, as it will tilt the chassis more or less depending on how much caster is applied.

Less caster (more vertical) increases OFF-power steering INTO a corner, but decreases straight-line stability.
More caster (more laid-down) increases ON-power steering OUT OF a corner, and increases straight-line stability, but makes the car harder to turn in.

Driving Camber

This describes the angle the wheels ride relative to the ground when looked at from the front or back.

Negative camber means that the tire leans inward at the top.
Positive camber means that the tire leans outward at the top.

Camber affects the car's traction. In general, more negative camber means increased grip since the side-traction of the wheel increases. Never use positive camber, and never use more than 2.5-degrees negative camber.

NOTE: The amount of front camber required to maintain the maximum contact patch largely depends on the amount of caster. Higher degrees of caster require little or no camber, while lower degrees of caster require more negative camber

source:
http://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/pro...374b0a435005dd
http://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/pro...iving%20Camber

i guess no matter how small these things are... camber and caster will affect handling... i've run up to 2* & 3* camber and it does help if you're understeering...

haven't tried any camber tower bars just yet... i guess you'll just have to get some (or at least try out a car that has camber - before buying them) and find out which works best for you (depending on your driving style and type of track you run on)... hope this helps...

Last edited by herman; 2008.01.17 at 01:25 AM.
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.01.17, 02:23 AM   #4
Tailgetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by herman
Caster Angle

Caster angle is the angle between an imaginary line connecting the top pivot ball and the bottom pivot ball of the steering block, with respect to a line perpendicular to the ground. Caster angle affects on- and off-power steering, as it will tilt the chassis more or less depending on how much caster is applied.

Less caster (more vertical) increases OFF-power steering INTO a corner, but decreases straight-line stability.
More caster (more laid-down) increases ON-power steering OUT OF a corner, and increases straight-line stability, but makes the car harder to turn in.

Driving Camber

This describes the angle the wheels ride relative to the ground when looked at from the front or back.

Negative camber means that the tire leans inward at the top.
Positive camber means that the tire leans outward at the top.

Camber affects the car's traction. In general, more negative camber means increased grip since the side-traction of the wheel increases. Never use positive camber, and never use more than 2.5-degrees negative camber.

NOTE: The amount of front camber required to maintain the maximum contact patch largely depends on the amount of caster. Higher degrees of caster require little or no camber, while lower degrees of caster require more negative camber

source:
http://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/pro...374b0a435005dd
http://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/pro...iving%20Camber

i guess no matter how small these things are... camber and caster will affect handling... i've run up to 2* & 3* camber and it does help if you're understeering...

haven't tried any camber tower bars just yet... i guess you'll just have to get some (or at least try out a car that has camber - before buying them) and find out which works best for you (depending on your driving style and type of track you run on)... hope this helps...
Herman, it is proven that Mr.Hudy's theory is unarguable....it all depends on the track layout and our driving style.
On my mr02 I use Tagu's bar and 2 deg camber (totalling 2.5) it is indeed significantly improves car control in our technical track, never tried PN's ones tho...
While on 1:10 less deg requires on same technical tracks.
Guess the smaller = bigger camber and caster ratio ?

Herman, Outta topic: have you tried T2008 yet ? is it worth the bucks ? heard it requires different size of pinion ? but does it still use the same pitch ?
Tailgetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.01.17, 02:31 AM   #5
herman

Quote:
Herman, Outta topic: have you tried T2008 yet ? is it worth the bucks ? heard it requires different size of pinion ? but does it still use the same pitch ?
hmm so you're in jakarta? unfortunately haven't tried any 1/10 scales in a looong time... so you can say i'm way out of it... btw how's the miin-z scene over there?
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.01.17, 02:43 PM   #6
Nightcargo

Herman thanks for that! I was aware of the concept but didn't know if it really worked on this scale.
Nightcargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.01.17, 07:34 PM   #7
Tailgetter

Jakarta it is, mini z community is quite impressive...even in 1:10 comm, since once you've get a grip in the Z, 1:10 is a walk in the park.
We have only 2 public tracks and do have scheduled & fun races....Let me know if you (by any chance) have a plan to visit

Mabuhay
Tailgetter is offline   Reply With Quote