Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2011.02.24, 12:16 PM   #1
Mitchell

Beginners questions

Hi,
our miniz club decided to buy Robitronic measurement + we choosed Zround Lap counter. I installed Zround to my notebook, but HW I havent yet, so I cannot practice. Robitronic HW will be delivered on Saturday morning, but only one day later on Sunday morning we want to test the system and we organise "one hour race for 6 cars"...

I have some beginners questions:

a/ for "one hour race" I suppose is enough to work only with "Zround Race manager" putting 1h into "Duration" ?

b/ how to assign transponder of concrete cars to the system ? To put car with transponder under the counter bridge with receiver modules - and after ? Is there any button in "Zround Race manager" to assign transporder to the name of driver ?

c/ what else to do ? Your recommendations ?

Sorry for this stupid questions, I regarded tutorials, but didnt find there everything. Probably after having also all HW in hands will be clear, but I want to eliminate some lost of time and disappointment of my colleagues...

Last edited by Mitchell; 2011.02.24 at 01:18 PM.
Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.02.24, 02:53 PM   #2
LED

Hello Mitchel.

Congrats with your purchase, you will not be disappointed.
For your questions:
First of all you can test zround fully without any hardware connected. Zround also supports keyboard recordings.

1) If you plan having a fun race without any championship or so you can simply start zround, put in 1 hour and hit race. But if you want to keep a record of the race, or print the results or something use the manager.

2) If you put zround in practice mode and run a car under the bridge the transonder number will be shown on screen. Simply double click it and fill in the drivers details. If you would like to prepare all the drivers in advance use the helmet icon (drivers database). fill in everything and fill in the transponder number when you have the hardware.

3) Play around with the sounds and the voice speaker. Try and test it before your race the see what events you would like to be called out and what sounds you want to play. Also make sure you fill in a correct min lap time.

There is no such thing as stupid questions, only stupid answers.
Have fun with your race.
LED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.02.24, 03:24 PM   #3
Mitchell

LED, thanks a lot, you wrote wery important informations for me.
Next week I will message here our first experience with new system.
Old 2011.02.24, 03:58 PM   #4
zround

Send a message via Skype™ to zround
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell View Post
Hi,
our miniz club decided to buy Robitronic measurement + we choosed Zround Lap counter. I installed Zround to my notebook, but HW I havent yet, so I cannot practice. Robitronic HW will be delivered on Saturday morning, but only one day later on Sunday morning we want to test the system and we organise "one hour race for 6 cars"...
Hi Mitchell, you are welcome.
You can practice with ZRound even if you haven't got HW.

You must create the racer's profile in the database. It is easy, use the "helmet" icon on the toolbar to open the "drivers database" and click on the "add" button located on the bottom right corner. The input form allows you to enter his name, nick, speaker (how he will be called out if the name/nick are difficult to pronounce to the speech engine), etc. You can left blank the transponder number until you get your hw.

Once you have people registered, you can add the the drivers you want to begin a training. When you have HW, this is not needed because people are registered automatically when they are detected. Use the context menu on the driver list area (right click) and choose "registering/register driver". You must choose the people you want and click on the button "select" to have him ready to train. Close the drivers selection window when you finish the registering process.

Finally click on the start training button (the clock) to start. You can count manually by hitting the function keys (F1 for the first registered racer, F2 for the second, and so on). You can play with the software, change options, simulate a race, etc. (as I do for testing).

Regarding to connect Robitronic to ZRound. You must open the configuration/options window (hammer icon) and go to the "Robitronic" page to set the serial port and enable the connection.

Quote:
I have some beginners questions:

a/ for "one hour race" I suppose is enough to work only with "Zround Race manager" putting 1h into "Duration" ?
Yes ... if you don't want to use the championship manager. Although you are only 6 racers, you may want to manage heats. For example, you could prepare the race with 3 rounds to sort the starting grid on the main based on the best result of the 3 rounds. If you use ZRound Manager, the race duration (heats and mains) are defined in the race settings.

Quote:
b/ how to assign transponder of concrete cars to the system ? To put car with transponder under the counter bridge with receiver modules - and after ? Is there any button in "Zround Race manager" to assign transporder to the name of driver ?
The siplest choice is to begin counting (i.w. start a training). When the transponder is detected zround looks for a racer owning it but if it is not found it is automatically registered as "transponder XXXXXX". Then you can double click on it and complete the registration form with the racer's name and so on.

On the other hand, if the racer is already registered can enter the transponder number into "Tx" box of the driver form (open the drivers database and search for the guy).
Quote:
c/ what else to do ? Your recommendations ?

Sorry for this stupid questions, I regarded tutorials, but didnt find there everything. Probably after having also all HW in hands will be clear, but I want to eliminate some lost of time and disappointment of my colleagues...
Don't worry. I know I should make more tutorials and to write more documentation, etc but ... I cannot find the time it needs. Please read the Quick Start Guide installed with ZRound. It is not keeped up to date but you will find useful information about how zround works. You will find an example about managing a race with ZRound and, of course, with ZRound Manager.

Try to "simulate" a race by using the keyboard and don't be afraid about the large amount of settings. Usually they can be used with their default values. If you have questions about using the software please post.

Enjoy ZRound.

--
I've just seen the LED's answer. He has anticipated some hints. Thx led.

Last edited by zround; 2011.02.24 at 04:01 PM.
zround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.02.24, 11:48 PM   #5
Mitchell

Zround,
everything is clear, only this simulation I didnt reach

Quote:
Originally Posted by zround View Post
Finally click on the start training button (the clock) to start. You can count manually by hitting the function keys (F1 for the first registered racer, F2 for the second, and so on).
When drivers selected in driver area and clock/stop watch icon for training clicked, only message "Robitronic decoder disconnected !" appears. Not more actions (F1, F2,...) possible.
Old 2011.02.25, 03:10 AM   #6
zround

Send a message via Skype™ to zround
Quote:
Zround,
everything is clear, only this simulation I didnt reach

When drivers selected in driver area and clock/stop watch icon for training clicked, only message "Robitronic decoder disconnected !" appears. Not more actions (F1, F2,...) possible.
You must clear the "Enable Robitronic" check. It is located into the "Robitronic" configuration page. When it is checked the system won't begin to count if the HW is not available.

When your HW arrive, go again to the Robitronic configuration page and enable the connection. Also you must enter the serial port name where the decoder is connected.
zround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.02.25, 09:22 AM   #7
Mitchell

Now works well.
Thanks a lot, Zround, for your strong support here.
Old 2011.02.27, 03:25 PM   #8
Mitchell

Today we did the first race with new Robitronic HW + Zround SW.
It was the 6 hours race of Le Mans type.
The winner passed 2.752 laps, all 6 hours without any problem.
Combinations HW+SW very good, no reclamation of missing lap.
I can fully recommend it.

I have some complementary question for Zround options:
- is it possible to add complementary pilot DURING already going race ?
- where can I found better description of colours settings ?