Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2013.02.06, 11:17 PM   #1
monkeyZ
The Race Dictator!

ICS read complete write complete indicator

Been using your ICS software and it works well. Not a fan of Adobe Air that is needed for the Ko Propo version. Any possibility of adding a text label or status bar at the bottom to indicate when reading or writing is complete? I realize the information updates in the boxes if it is different from what is there already, but if you read back the same thing that is in the box you don't know if you actually read from the car or you are just sitting there looking at the past values.

thanks,

BT
monkeyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.02.07, 09:46 AM   #2
LED

I think the problem with that would be that there is no way to check if the write was succesfull.
You should simply write what you want, move a setting something and then read and then see if it jumps back to what you had written or not.
Only way to safely say that your settings have been applied.
LED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.02.07, 10:02 PM   #3
monkeyZ
The Race Dictator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LED View Post
I think the problem with that would be that there is no way to check if the write was succesfull.
You should simply write what you want, move a setting something and then read and then see if it jumps back to what you had written or not.
Only way to safely say that your settings have been applied.
Actually, the sw could write it and then read it back to confirm. Why should the user have to check to see if it worked when it could be done automatically. Write, Read, Compare.

Last edited by monkeyZ; 2013.02.07 at 10:05 PM.
monkeyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.02.08, 12:59 PM   #4
pinwc4

Thanks for the feedback it is appreciated.

Adding some sort of message that confirms that the data was read is a good idea. I have been doing what LED suggests when I am uncertain, I move a slider and then click read to see if it moves. I may just add some sort of message that flashes on the screen such as read successful or something.

I am going to be working on this software soon anyways as I need to add support for the brushless cars that were released and I need to update the installer to support Windows 8. The installer probably has the same problem that Flip Side Racing has, though I do not know that for certain.
pinwc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.02.08, 01:48 PM   #5
TheSteve
VE7FM

When you read/write the ICS data are you reading and writing specific bytes or is there an entire block of eeprom data?

I also assume different cars have unique bits/bytes to indicate the model of car - MR03, MR03 with chase mode etc.

The reason I ask all of this is when you swap an MR03 board into an AWD the steering throws are incorrect because the values from the servo pot are different. The different models must have a table or different programming to indicate the proper endpoints. I am wondering if its hard coded in flash or set via values in the eeprom, and if it is in the eeprom I am wondering if it could be altered via the ICS port (even if not intended to be by Kyosho)

If it could be changed then boards could be swapped between different car models without worrying about steering throws incorrect.
TheSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.02.08, 05:02 PM   #6
pinwc4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSteve View Post
When you read/write the ICS data are you reading and writing specific bytes or is there an entire block of eeprom data?
When you read or write the data to the car it is the entire block of data, not individual values. For each of the cars so far it is has been 15 bytes of data, each byte representing a different thing that can be manipulated. Though there are 3 bytes out of that 15 that I do not know what they are, none of the other software manipulates them so most likely they are for future board revisions that will have more features.

Quote:
I also assume different cars have unique bits/bytes to indicate the model of car - MR03, MR03 with chase mode etc.
Nope, none of the data read or written to is specifically identifying the car model. I could infer it when reading since I know that there will be values in all but 3 bytes for the MR-03, whereas the dNaNo has 4 bytes it does not use and the ASF board had 6 bytes it did not use. However people could unintentionally write data to those bytes and that would make it impossible to tell. The board is not going to care if you write to a byte that it does not use, at least that has been my experience so far.

Quote:
The reason I ask all of this is when you swap an MR03 board into an AWD the steering throws are incorrect because the values from the servo pot are different. The different models must have a table or different programming to indicate the proper endpoints. I am wondering if its hard coded in flash or set via values in the eeprom, and if it is in the eeprom I am wondering if it could be altered via the ICS port (even if not intended to be by Kyosho)

If it could be changed then boards could be swapped between different car models without worrying about steering throws incorrect.
None of the known values written to the car impact the end points for the servo. I do not know much about the AWD but I would wonder if it possibly has a different type of resistor pot. Otherwise maybe the board has some hard coded values for the minimum and maximum resistance values it is looking for.

If you do want to play with it my ICS program lets you manually manipulate each byte that is written to the car. Click the advanced button to do that. There are 3 values on the screen labeled unknown, maybe they are steering related but I doubt it.
pinwc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.02.08, 10:57 PM   #7
TheSteve
VE7FM

Thanks for the replies. I'll play with it a little. The steering values are likely hard coded in flash, or in a different eeprom space we can't access. On the off chance I come across something I'll let you know.
Old 2013.02.12, 11:47 PM   #8
TheSteve
VE7FM

I did a little experimenting with my MR03(with chase mode) and my MA015(with chase mode) with the Kyosho ICS software(version 1.15). The software is aware of the car type connected. If I select an mr03 with chase mode and read from my AWD car it will tell me its an MA015 with chase mode, if I try the opposite and select an MA015 and read my MR03 it tells me its an MR03 with chase mode. So perhaps the newer cars have a bit/byte dedicated to car type.

I didn't try forcing the AWD file into the MR03 board with either software package but possibly could. I doubt the Kyosho software will allow it but I assume yours will. Then I could try reading with the Kyosho software and see if the car type has changed.

Further, have you looked into where the chase mode settings are stored?