Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts

Go Back   Mini-ZRacer.com Forums > 1/28 Scale Chassis Discussion > Aftermarket Chassis

Old 2014.11.04, 03:36 PM   #31
JesseT

It's a while I've visited this forum, sorry for that.

Shapeways surely didn't handle their factory moving too well, and it got me quite mad also. It came completely out of the blue, pushing paid orders a month back. At the same time their ordering system is informing only a two day delay for new orders. I've seen my friends order small pieces from there much later than my bigger order and they have already got their parts! My order is only half ready and also scheduled for 14th November. At the same time their customer service promises the orders to be handled in order. Go figure... I just hope that things will return to normal.

In the meantime, I have gotten parts from an alternative source, and the first prototype of the non-A-arm front actually fits very nicely. See the attached picture. It's made in a way, that it will fit a standard chassis, but also a one with the intermediate mounts cut out for A-arm conversion. The lower balls also sit a little higher so that the Reflex racing springs can be run too under the lower ball.

I haven't run a standard front for a long time, so now it's the time to tell which exact setup would you like to be supported?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20141104_231403 (Medium).jpg (76.9 KB, 123 views)
JesseT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.11.04, 06:10 PM   #32
ianc

Looks great Jesse, thanks for checking back in!

Not sure of the answer to your question though? Since I've been out of the hobby for awhile, I'm not sure of all the various options for kingpin 03 front ends. If you're thinking of supporting some specific Reflex parts however, I don't think they're really in the Mini-Z game anymore. I contacted them yesterday asking about availability of their SSG tires and they responded that they're looking for some other vendor to take over manufacturing\sales of their line since it really wasn't profitable for them and they have focused more on 1/10 TC's these days.

Hopefully others can give some more definite answers...

ianc
ianc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.11.04, 06:33 PM   #33
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianc View Post
Looks great Jesse, thanks for checking back in!

Not sure of the answer to your question though? Since I've been out of the hobby for awhile, I'm not sure of all the various options for kingpin 03 front ends. If you're thinking of supporting some specific Reflex parts however, I don't think they're really in the Mini-Z game anymore. I contacted them yesterday asking about availability of their SSG tires and they responded that they're looking for some other vendor to take over manufacturing\sales of their line since it really wasn't profitable for them and they have focused more on 1/10 TC's these days.

Hopefully others can give some more definite answers...

ianc
Super funny, ianc....I was wondering if my replies about the Kyosho 10's on the FB thread were to someone i knew from the forums.

Very interesting and promising start to the prototype front Jesse...I think you are headed in the right direction with the small spring/c-clip type of kingpin. I also notice that a screw encloses the lower ball pivot into the housing so my guess is users will be able to try the long kingpin/upper spring setup as well....

As for me I intend to grind material off a standard kyosho bottom plate so as to mount the Shapeways front plate over top of it. Not having it in my hands makes my idea just a theory atm...we will see once it arrives.

I got a "sent to printer" notice a couple days ago.

my custom body album...
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/album.php?albumid=192
cowboysir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.11.05, 05:54 PM   #34
ianc

You know, I noticed the name Derek on your FB post and wondered if it could be you. Nah!

Pretty sad news about Reflex; they were great guys back in the day. Christian always had a pithy word...

Jesse, I'm noticing the two screws that have been added to secure the side links to the front piece in your latest pic above. Is that a design amendment to enhance the flexibilty of the rails, or just a prototype for this version?

ianc

Last edited by ianc; 2014.11.05 at 05:57 PM.
Old 2014.11.05, 11:48 PM   #35
JesseT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianc View Post
You know, I noticed the name Derek on your FB post and wondered if it could be you. Nah!

Pretty sad news about Reflex; they were great guys back in the day. Christian always had a pithy word...

Jesse, I'm noticing the two screws that have been added to secure the side links to the front piece in your latest pic above. Is that a design amendment to enhance the flexibilty of the rails, or just a prototype for this version?

ianc
It's a prototype feature that I will not keep as such, but at some point I will break the design into several pieces, so that it's easier to change to different configuration, like body style, front suspension style, and rear pod style and length (LM).
Old 2014.11.06, 06:29 PM   #36
ianc

Quote:
at some point I will break the design into several pieces, so that it's easier to change
Sounds like an excellent idea, provided sufficient rigidity can be retained. As it is, there's an R8 body on it's way from Japan in anticipation of giving this a whirl, so please keep us updated. Thanks again!

ianc
Old 2014.11.07, 09:30 AM   #37
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

Got my shipping notice...things are all coming together for my micro 1/12th build!

My parts to build it as a BL car probably arrive next week but I will test fit a variety of brushed cans just for you Ian.

my custom body album...
Old 2014.11.07, 01:07 PM   #38
ianc

Will be very eager to see pics of what you're up to Cowboy!

ianc
Old 2014.11.13, 06:44 PM   #39
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showth...318#post454318

my custom body album...
Old 2014.11.13, 06:55 PM   #40
ianc

Looks good Cowboy, will be very interested to see what you've got going on. As for myself, I found a great deal on one of the Petronas Lexus 03VE's (sub $190!), so grabbed it and will be going the brushless route myself. Should show up next week. Will need to order a PN motor myself.

Still waiting for Jesse to post a version of the chassis for the stock front end though...

Also, thinking about where to source a good set of tri-dampers also. Anyone got any recommendations?

Thanks and will keep you posted,

ianc
Old 2014.11.14, 07:24 PM   #41
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

Quick question Jesse:

There are 4 bearing holders included in the kit that appear to be identical to each other...am I correct in assuming there is not a specific matched set in the four bearing holders?

my custom body album...
Old 2014.11.17, 03:20 PM   #42
JesseT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysir View Post
Quick question Jesse:

There are 4 bearing holders included in the kit that appear to be identical to each other...am I correct in assuming there is not a specific matched set in the four bearing holders?
In the v5, some parts fitted a bit too loosely, so I tried to cirrect everything for the v6. One of the things was the introduction of two pairs of bearing holders. Two are tighter and two are looser in bearing fitment. Pick whatever seems better and keep the other two as spares.
Old 2014.12.10, 02:55 PM   #43
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

Couple Questions:

1. In building your own (and others) chassis did you use machine screws or tapping screws?

2. In some of your builds have you found the end bell cam plate to fit loose and if so how do you recommend securing it to avoid gear mesh slippage?

my custom body album...
Old 2014.12.19, 04:46 PM   #44
ianc

Hey gents, just posted my build report over here

ianc
Old 2014.12.21, 01:39 AM   #45
JesseT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysir View Post
Couple Questions:

1. In building your own (and others) chassis did you use machine screws or tapping screws?

2. In some of your builds have you found the end bell cam plate to fit loose and if so how do you recommend securing it to avoid gear mesh slippage?
I always only use machine screws, and for them I open the holes up with a drill bit (by hand) to 1.6mm or 1.7 mm. When you screw in a machine screw to a fresh hole for the first time, do it slowly. I have a method of turning in one round and back out one round over and over untill the force needed is not too much. Then two rounds in and one out and repeat till the screw is in. Not as complicated as it sounds, bit never force a screw in, or you can risk splitting something just like in the Kyosho chassis.

Not exactly sure what you meant, but perhaps you mean the four screw hole for the right side motor cam. I always secure it with a screw, but only with one on the lowest hole, which you can't see after installation.