Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts

Go Back   Mini-ZRacer.com Forums > Manufacturers > GSR

Old 2009.06.03, 05:06 PM   #31
minittrackmann

Im pretty sure in the GSR Section there is a setup guide. This should be a good basis to start from.

As far as the lexan body. People do run them, but if you are ever planning to run in Regionals, I'm almost certain lexan is not allowed. Only either the PN Pan Car, or the VDS's.

If you do decide to get a lexan body I like the Reflex Racing Body Mounts.
Good luck.
Cody
minittrackmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.06.04, 03:42 AM   #32
color01

Hi ianc,

Somehow the thread with all the documentation got un-stickied. It's back up at the top of the page now so check it out -- we've comprehensively covered everything you need, chassis-wise, to put together an MRCG. I'll be updating that thread soon to the new documentation suitable for both MRCG and MRCG1.1.

http://www.mini-zracer.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=29321

As for your electronics question, you are correct in that you can use either an ASF board + external servo gearbox, or completely modular electronics to set the car up. ASF + external servo gearbox is lighter and cheaper but requires a bit of precision soldering and some troubleshooting skills, since a lot can go wrong with the steering when you're doing DIY. Modular electronics are more or less plug-and-play, and have better steering response and power delivery, at the expense of weight and cost.

If you really want the full experience and have the money, I'd recommend going to fully modular electronics. However, you will need a new module for your EX-1UR that needs to be compatible with whatever receiver you're using -- the ASF module is for the ASF board only, and doesn't work with other 2.4GHz receivers.

Anyways, start off by going to the link I posted above; the original MRCG has treated many other first-time chassis builders well, so I suspect that even the original documentation will be more than satisfactory.

Greyscale RC

PN Racing | My TinyRC Blog

Last edited by color01; 2009.06.04 at 04:11 PM.
color01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.06.04, 11:00 AM   #33
ianc

Hi Brian,

Thanks very much for the link to the docs. I'll be downloading and taking a look at these and will post back with any further questions I might have.

Please do post here when you've updated the docs to support V1.1.

I think I'll probably be leaning toward using an ASF board at this point simply to avoid purchasing and futzing around with another module.

Thanks again for your help!

ianc
ianc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.06.05, 11:37 AM   #34
ianc

Hi Brian,

I've read over the documentation you've linked to and all seems fairly straightforward; lots of good info there. I'll be looking forward to the V1.1 docs when you get a chance to put them up.

As I mentioned previously, I would probably use an ASF board here, but I'm unclear on the specific arrangements for that. For example, it sounds like the ASF board's FET's are still used, but are wired to an external servo motor instead of using the stock servo motor? Are there some recommendations for servos? Any docs for doing the work? I'm pretty good with a soldering iron, having done numerous FET upgrades and repairs, but some hints would be appreciated.

Perhaps a suggestion might be to add a document specifically related to electronics choice and implementation to the already extensive selection. This seems to be the only thing you haven't covered in detail. Unless it's already somewhere else...

Thanks for the help,

ianc
Old 2009.06.06, 06:26 PM   #35
color01

You're correct, the ASF board's servo control circuitry is used rather than the aftermarket servo's internal board.

The info for the conversion is in the "color0's MRCG" thread: http://www.mini-zracer.com/forums/sh...6&postcount=30

You basically transplant the ASF board's servo wires from the Mini-Z servo motor and pot, to the new servo motor and pot. The one pictured in that link is an S3113, but I recommend using an S3114 instead because it has a smaller casing and seems to be more precise (that may also be because my S3113 has taken plenty of hits).

We haven't ever published an official "how to convert your servo" guide yet, mainly because there are way too many servos and electronics combinations out there... but it's probably a better idea than pointing all our customers to the same thread time and time again.

Greyscale RC

Old 2009.06.06, 06:29 PM   #36
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
there are only so many wire color options for this conversion. that is by far the hardest info to find often and the most important. get that database input and the rest is a short video tutorial this is for servo to mini-z pcb converstions...
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.06.08, 03:27 PM   #37
ianc

Hi Brian,

A small doc on wiring in the s3113 or s3114 with wire colors would be a big help when the time comes. You could always add to it or start a DB as Arch suggests if you get more data.

Another thing I'm wondering about is the battery pack. I reckon you would need to solder 4 AAA's together to make the pack, but I have no idea what one would use to charge that. Can you enlighten me?

I'm definitely going to pick one of these up when they're available, so please post here when they're in stock. Thanks for the help,

ianc
Old 2009.06.08, 03:44 PM   #38
minittrackmann

Mini Deans is the most popular.
Old 2009.06.08, 03:47 PM   #39
ianc

Quote:
Mini Deans is the most popular
Most popular what?

ianc
Old 2009.06.08, 04:14 PM   #40
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
You can get a good mid range charger to charge them. Using a micro deans connector, or make small tabs on the outside batteries and use alligator clips. That would be for a direct connection, where you wouldnt use a plug, and would have to solder/desolder the power wire every run to charge or remove the pack.

I use the micro deans plugs personally. And have adapters for alligator clips for my charging trays.
Old 2009.06.08, 05:04 PM   #41
ianc

Thanks for the info Eugene!

So What I'm getting is that if you use the Micro Dean's plugs to connect the battery pack to the ASF board to provide power, then you can use that same plug to connect to your charger for charging. Question is, what type of unit would be used to charge the pack? i have 3 AAA chargers that I use to charge batts for my Mini-Z's. Could one of them be adapted, or does it require a special charger of some type?

Got any pics?

Thanks again,

ianc
Old 2009.06.08, 05:22 PM   #42
minittrackmann

You do need a special type of charger.

Some common chargers:
Duratrax Ice
Team Checkpoint
Muchmore
Thunder Power TP-610C

These are all pretty common chargers.
Old 2009.06.08, 05:52 PM   #43
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
For a cheap good charger, the Duratrax Onyx 220 is pretty good, being that it is AC/DC. So you dont need a seperate Power Supply Unit.
Old 2009.06.09, 08:49 AM   #44
-J-

Send a message via AIM to -J- Send a message via MSN to -J- Send a message via Yahoo to -J-
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMU View Post
For a cheap good charger, the Duratrax Onyx 220 is pretty good, being that it is AC/DC. So you dont need a seperate Power Supply Unit.
Yep, though having to enter the charging parameters every time you charge a different battery does get pretty tedious.
Old 2009.06.09, 09:02 AM   #45
color01

And for that reason there's also the Duratrax Piranha Digital Peak AC/DC, good charger with the very useful feature of charge profile memory.

Greyscale RC