Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2014.07.21, 06:55 PM   #16
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
Metal motor spacers would be OK. I'm inclined to say no on the heat sink motor cover.it's a slippery slope i'm trying to avoid.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.07.23, 07:13 PM   #17
KWT

I thought we agreed it was ok at the last stock race since the AWD heated up the motor really badly. I know you are trying to avoid an arms race but this has more to do with keeping the motor alive because heat weakens magnets.
KWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.07.23, 07:30 PM   #18
arch2b

i thought we discussed motor spacers only. there is nothing stopping someone else asking for some other part because it keeps the motor cool, frees up this or that. you open the door and it gets harder to keep it closed.
Old 2014.07.23, 08:43 PM   #19
byebye

Can I use an LM motorpod and LM disk damper in a 98mm setup? The longtail Mclaren uses this configuration.

EDIT*Okay I lie. It doesn't use LM but if I could...?

Last edited by byebye; 2014.07.23 at 08:48 PM.
byebye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.07.23, 08:54 PM   #20
arch2b

Suspension is limited to configuration appropriate to stock autoscale configuration. If it didn't come setup that stock, not allowed.

Question about wheels/tires, any plastic wheels and tires but must be of appropriate diameter, width and offset of stock configuration.

Last edited by arch2b; 2014.07.23 at 09:41 PM.
Old 2014.07.23, 08:59 PM   #21
byebye

Quote:
Originally Posted by arch2b View Post
Suspension is limited to configuration appropriate to stock autoscale configuration. If it didn't come setup that stock, not allowed.

Question about wheels/tires, any wheels and tires but must be of appropriate diameter, width and offset of stock configuration.
You're a real heart breaker Ray!
Old 2015.01.05, 03:20 PM   #22
arch2b

so, what are the thoughts on what i would consider a successful year of stock class racing?

anyone feel we need to add additional options to the mix? my opinion is well known so won't repeat it but want to make sure all have a voice.
Old 2015.01.05, 04:14 PM   #23
mleemor60
Curmudgeon & Moderator

As an honorary member I say carefully restrict anything that gives a performance advantage. Motor spacers don't give an advantage beyond motor longevity. Like the aluminum heat sink for the LM. If you stay at the low end of the pinion range the motors last indefinitely.

If you study very closely the stuff that comes in the box you can find all sorts of things to improve performance within the parameters.
mleemor60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.01.05, 08:31 PM   #24
byebye

Quote:
so, what are the thoughts on what i would consider a successful year of stock class racing?

anyone feel we need to add additional options to the mix? my opinion is well known so won't repeat it but want to make sure all have a voice.
Wow really? I'd have to think about it. The only thing I asked about last season was allowing alloy wheels(it was for a specific setup I'm not running anymore).

I'd like to ask about front spring changes. I have not tried to deviate from the stock setup so I'm used to it's driving characteristics but I would love to be able to make some changes in that aspect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleemor60 View Post
As an honorary member I say carefully restrict anything that gives a performance advantage. Motor spacers don't give an advantage beyond motor longevity. Like the aluminum heat sink for the LM. If you stay at the low end of the pinion range the motors last indefinitely.

If you study very closely the stuff that comes in the box you can find all sorts of things to improve performance within the parameters.
True.
Old 2015.01.05, 08:46 PM   #25
arch2b

doesnt hurt anything to ask... always willing to listen
Old 2015.01.05, 08:57 PM   #26
byebye

Quote:
doesnt hurt anything to ask... always willing to listen
Yeah I would like to ask to allow front spring changes. Not sure which brand. I'd almost say any brand as there are too many to track and probably too little Kyosho brand for all to purchase.

I do personally like how true alloy wheels are compared to plastic especially after a season of bashing around.
Old 2015.01.05, 09:32 PM   #27
KWT

Heat sinks for AWD and LM class. I'm with Kris on alloy wheels. I have broken at least 5 plastic wheels last year and some you couldn't replace with the same offset for the body. Since we allow any t plates we should be open to front springs since it would help with tuning. I think the stock fronts are too hard for our bumpy track.
KWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.01.05, 10:05 PM   #28
arch2b

valid comments but hard to argue the stock parts don't work when some in the club can run them just as they are faster than HFAY. stock works, just have to work with it and adapt to it vs. using even more parts to achieve an end.

motor heat sinks seems very reasonable given we are using stock motors for 10 minute mains. we can discuss alloy wheels further, the added weight for a stock car is a serious gamble for those wanting to go down that road. most don't use alloy wheels for HFAY or mod which are higher speeds, harder crashes.

springs are a slippery slope issue. if you accept springs, why not allow motor mount, then why not 70t motor and before you know it you up to HFAY.
Old 2015.01.05, 10:14 PM   #29
arch2b

Another thing to keep in mind is that I am also aiming to provide multiple distinct and separate classes of racing so that we hit most if not all the bases. The more we dilute them the less individual them become and less meaningful. Trying really hard to avoid an all stock, all HFAY and or all mod style club. Some don't like short wheelbase, some don't like stock and some don't like mid, but we at least have all of them to choose from.
Old 2015.01.06, 05:22 AM   #30
byebye

Quote:
valid comments but hard to argue the stock parts don't work when some in the club can run them just as they are faster than HFAY. stock works, just have to work with it and adapt to it vs. using even more parts to achieve an end.

motor heat sinks seems very reasonable given we are using stock motors for 10 minute mains. we can discuss alloy wheels further, the added weight for a stock car is a serious gamble for those wanting to go down that road. most don't use alloy wheels for HFAY or mod which are higher speeds, harder crashes.

springs are a slippery slope issue. if you accept springs, why not allow motor mount, then why not 70t motor and before you know it you up to HFAY.
Stock parts work great so why T plates but not springs? T plates and springs will change the handling characteristics of the car. If the idea is to keep the field level and easier to be competitive we should go back to stock T plates.

Of the allowable changes only tires are required to actually run on the track. The rest of the car can remain completely stock and still be raced.

If I was new to the game and wanted to enter stock racing the minimum I would need tires and rechargable batteries. But now I noticed everyone is faster because they have bearings that are smooth and have less rolling resistance. I would then have to spend $39 on Kyoshos in the cabinet or $50 on ceramics or $9 on a cheap set. In my opinion bearings, springs and T plates all fall under the same category as upgrades above box stock. None of those upgrades came in the "box".

I don't think front springs is a game changer over anything else we already allow. Where we have seen a game changer is those guys running LM and getting a disk damper. But when asked you can only run the LM rear pod with an LM car and not modify to run on any shorter wheelbase. Drop a 70t in and yes it's game over for that novice that doesn't want to spend beyond the cost of tires.

This is however what I love about stock class. As "stock" as it may seem there are a handful of tips and tricks to get around the track a little faster and there are more than enough chassis and body options to find what works for your driving style.

I welcome any or no changes. Just don't touch the motor, batteries, and FETs.