Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2009.09.15, 09:42 PM   #1
TannerT

Tire selection for a Mini-96

I will soon be getting a Mini-96, and would like your opinion on tires for a Mini tile track. I know that tires are a personal preferance but, a good base starting point is what I need. I will be driving a Lexus SC430 MR02. I'm getting confused with all of the different combanations. I was thinking of getting Kyosho 20deg radial tires for the rear and PN racing 15deg slicks for the front. That way I would have 2 sets of rear tires and the slicks should last for a while. But there is so many different tires. I already searched the forums but didn't find the answer I was looking for. I need some advice from someone who has already been there, done that. I've bought upgrades that I wasn't sure about and it didn't turn out very good.... and that's never fun. Anyway, All coments/suggestions are appreciated,
Thanks
TannerT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.09.15, 09:53 PM   #2
Cherub1m
Slip Angle Chaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost. View Post
I will soon be getting a Mini-96, and would like your opinion on tires for a Mini tile track. I know that tires are a personal preferance but, a good base starting point is what I need. I will be driving a Lexus SC430 MR02. I'm getting confused with all of the different combanations. I was thinking of getting Kyosho 20deg radial tires for the rear and PN racing 15deg slicks for the front. That way I would have 2 sets of rear tires and the slicks should last for a while. But there is so many different tires. I already searched the forums but didn't find the answer I was looking for. I need some advice from someone who has already been there, done that. I've bought upgrades that I wasn't sure about and it didn't turn out very good.... and that's never fun. Anyway, All coments/suggestions are appreciated,
Thanks
First let me say welcome to the world of Mini-96 its a great track to have for around the house.

Your choice of Kyosho 20deg radial rear and PN 15 fronts is a good choice. If you want to use PN fronts for the Mini-96 I would use PN 10's. Currently I use Kyosho 20 deg radial in the rear and Kyosho 30 deg slicks in the front that combo works great on a small track like the Mini-96 and works great on a larger track also.

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln

Link to my Videos http://www.youtube.com/SlipAngleChaser
Cherub1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.09.16, 04:44 AM   #3
color01

To be honest, unless your Mini-96 is the size of a larger RCP track, tire selection is much less crucial than staying off the walls. To top that off, the ability to "pivot" around an apex is much more important than maintaining corner speed. You can use Kyosho 20's all around and be fine. I'd argue that Kyosho 30's in front might actually be too hard actually, they're much more suited for high-speed cornering. PN 10 slicks in front could be a good idea, only if all the corners are tight hairpins though.

Once again I stress that the 95% importance item in Mini-96 driving, is your driving itself. The only thing you really need in the car is forward traction and a working steering system.

Greyscale RC

PN Racing | My TinyRC Blog

Last edited by color01; 2009.09.17 at 02:28 AM. Reason: Correcting my out-of-date information; thanks guys!
color01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.09.16, 09:42 AM   #4
TannerT

Thanks for the help guys. I decided to order some Kyosho 20deg radials and some PN 10deg slicks.
Old 2009.09.16, 06:14 PM   #5
MantisMMA
tire schredder

FYI guys, the new PN 20 fts are the same as the old PN 10's , the new PN 10's are way too sticky for the fronts.Jacob , CT and i use the new PN20's on the front. the new 10's are gonna give you WAAAY too much steering!

Marcus Williams
MantisMMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.09.16, 06:59 PM   #6
Tjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantisMMA View Post
FYI guys, the new PN 20 fts are the same as the old PN 10's , the new PN 10's are way too sticky for the fronts.Jacob , CT and i use the new PN20's on the front. the new 10's are gonna give you WAAAY too much steering!
Yes... This is what we use here.

For some reason, the PN20's understeer in the first few laps but after that, it'll pick up the traction (more than kyosho30 slicks) and it'll stay that way until it's all the way down.

I would suggest for you to run kyosho 30's front with kyosho20 slicks rear. If you want to use PN20's, you'll want to use rear radials.
Tjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.09.17, 12:18 PM   #7
TannerT

Hmm, the PN10's will probably be pretty twitchy, on a Lexus SC430... we will see how it goes when my order arrives. I've never driven on rcp before, so we'll see what happens. Once I get used to the track I will mess around with different tires. Thanks again for the replies.