Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts

Go Back   Mini-ZRacer.com Forums > General Discussion > New Products

Old 2012.11.08, 07:51 PM   #151
hrdrvr
MBMZR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammich View Post
i've had mine for about a month w/ the same fate.
This makes the fourth person, and about the 7th diff that has rounded out the gears at our track. It seems like the first three I got on the original order are the only ones left

Philip is usually really good with QC, and with replacement parts, but I have not made the full effort to get these bad ones to him. I need to, because my store has replaced 3 out of pocket, and 2 of those are toast now too

LET's Go Racing!
hrdrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.11.13, 12:20 AM   #152
color01

That is really weird guys, I think Philip does know about this by now but I'm not sure if there's been any replacement diffs coming back in yet.

If you have a brand new diff, my best advice is to not let the tensioning nut back out -- loctite it before you even put the diff on the car. I took out the O-ring while I was doing so, so my nut has not backed out in the almost a year (...wow ) that I've been running the gear diff. The gears in the diff need the correct mesh to work correctly after all, too tight and you grind, too loose and you overload the weakest, outside edges of the teeth. There is honestly only a very narrow setup window in terms of adjusting the diff, you just need to get it right and mesh the teeth properly. The actual "LSD" adjustment is done using different greases.

That, btw, is something I will be playing around with this coming season. Finding the right grease to stay on the gears in an OPEN casing diff has not been easy.

Greyscale RC

PN Racing | My TinyRC Blog
color01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.11.13, 07:11 AM   #153
Sammich

i tore down my car to clean it up and freshen it up...put everything back together, reset the gear diff and it never ran. only bad thing i remember happening putting it back together was the little screw that secures the left wheel to the gear diff came out, i located it and reset it all. ran it around the house for all of 1 minute, loosened it a little bit, put it back in the box, took it to the track and i was served a face

Quote:
drunk driving is not cool, unless it's with Mini-Z's.
Sammich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.11.26, 09:19 PM   #154
danjoyy25

Here is pic of my gear diff setup. Really liking how it handles.

danjoyy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.11.27, 03:28 AM   #155
NoBrainer

Looking nice.

Me btw can't get used to this.
I run faster with ball diff.

So it's something you need to get used to.
Old 2012.11.27, 04:37 AM   #156
outlaw-star

Just got this, can't wait to test. Is there a F1 version out yet? if so whats the model number?
outlaw-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.11.27, 06:18 AM   #157
Sammich

it's a really fun diff...my plan is to run a ball in my mod car and gear in my diff..i love the instantaneous power from it, but i love the smoothness/consistency of the ball diff

Quote:
Old 2012.11.27, 08:12 PM   #158
TheRinger
THATS HOW I ROLL

I'm curious. People have been having problems with the gears chewing themselves up. Is it from running it too loose? I've had one for almost a year now and haven't had a problem with it. I like it a little more then a ball diff but it's not as smooth though. More consistent with the gear diff then a ball diff.
Old 2012.11.27, 11:32 PM   #159
color01

That's the biggest user-side error I've seen. It's not impossible for a bad batch to have slipped into stock as well, but I haven't personally seen a bad gear diff at Kenon yet. Hope people get theirs working well, it's all about not letting the gears get too loose and then crashing. That kills 126p gears, no reason why it wouldn't kill the small gear diff teeth as well.

Greyscale RC

Old 2012.11.28, 07:35 AM   #160
briankstan

I've been running mine for about a year as well no problems to speak of. Put some threadlock on the adjuster nut so it can loose and your good to go.
Old 2012.11.28, 08:17 AM   #161
Sammich

Quote:
Originally Posted by color01 View Post
That's the biggest user-side error I've seen. It's not impossible for a bad batch to have slipped into stock as well, but I haven't personally seen a bad gear diff at Kenon yet. Hope people get theirs working well, it's all about not letting the gears get too loose and then crashing. That kills 126p gears, no reason why it wouldn't kill the small gear diff teeth as well.
i doubt i did, i'm 99% sure if anything i had it a little too tight and i had to back off a little bit because it was spinning out on teh track that night. did maybe half a turn and it just..made noise and didnt move

Quote:
Old 2012.12.04, 11:30 AM   #162
HaCo
02-Racer

Tightening the diff: how does it affect handling? Could it help from loosing power from the outer wheel when the inner is lifted? Could you get the same effect when you appl grease to a stock differential?
HaCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.12.05, 12:21 AM   #163
color01

It will help, yes, but you will also destroy your turn-in steering as the gear diff is not designed to be tightened like that. Personally, I would run a softer T-plate when switching from the ball diff to the gear diff, the increased roll in the rear will keep the inside rear wheel on the ground and you do not lose any steering since the gear diff gives you more.

Greyscale RC

Old 2013.04.10, 09:55 AM   #164
outlaw-star

Just wondering if an F1 version of this Diff will be out soon?
outlaw-star is offline   Reply With Quote