Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts

Go Back   Mini-ZRacer.com Forums > Events

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 1.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2018.07.27, 07:08 PM   #31
Mike Keely

Looking forward to it. I think it is still 6 guys coming up from our area.
Old 2018.07.29, 03:23 PM   #32
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
I had an awesome time at the event. Thanks to all who came for the event, and the organizers for setting it up, and Tom's River Hobbytown for hosting. A huge thanks to Atomic and Kyosho for supporting the event as well.

There were a few computer issues with timing and scoring that delayed the start a bit, which is normal for a first time event. GIHOSU got on top of it, and sorted things out. Huge thanks for his efforts running the program, sacrificing his own racing to keep things going well.

The traction of the carpet was quite low at the start, but as we turned laps and put some rubber down into the carpet, the groove started forming and traction came up pretty quickly.

I had prepped two Kyosho stock and 70 comp cars for the event (one brushless and one brushed in each class), and brought one mod car. I stuck with the brushed cars in the spec classes, I had offered my Brushless cars to Roland to race, but the rhythem of the slower cars didnt play well with his modified rhythem, so he opted to focus on the modified class only. I had already adjusted to my brushed models, so decided not to switch back to the brushless. I had felt that the Mosler brushless 70 comp car was really good, any my 90mm F40 was running into traction rolling issues in practice.

The carpet requires a few changes from an RCP setup, one being ride height and wheel diameter. The smaller front wheel diameter of the LM cars doesnt work as well on the carpet due to the higher pile of the carpet. This was one reason why I ran an F430GT instead of the LM for stock class. The other being that its just such a nice looking autoscale that I just got, and Ive always liked the body.

94mm was the longest wheelbase that I ran. Perhaps some of my handling issues that I had in modified were attributed to this. I think I had t-plate issues. I noticed that I preffered a stiffer t-plate in all classes compared to RCP. Primarily to reduce the roll of the chassis into and through the corners. In box stock, I should have switched to a carbon wide t-plate, but had spent all of my pit time trying to sort out my mod car.

This issue almost turned disasterous in the main, where I was traction rolling through the corner before the loop any time I didnt take it with full throttle. If I let up, the car would lean more and rub the rear tire on the body and instaflip. It made for a good show, with Mike Keely running a constant pace with few unforced errors, and trading the lead with me frequently. He made one error during the race, and that was all that it took for me to get the win.

70 Comp was competitive, and good racing. My 90mm F40 was handling very well through the mid section and off the corners, it just seemed to have a little less top end than others. The motor had a lot of mid RPM grunt, but just fell off on top. Thats the luck of the draw pulling a random motor. My F40 body has seen a lot of years of racing, and is on its way out. There are stress cracks throughout the body, mostly the rear end around the pillars and above the rear wheels. At some point, the whole rear end will fall off. Lucklily, it was not during this race. The cracks also make the body pop up with very little contact. Which seemed to happen in almost every run that drove it in. The custom tri-damper configuration does a good job of preventing the body from dislodging entirely, but at times it looked like I had a hot rod with the whole rear end sticking up. With the knowledge that the body would pop up, but not cause any handling issues, when it popped up during the main, I decided to just drive through it rather than stop for a body fix.

In modified, my car was a mess at the start of the day. It had a 360GTC body, that the front end had cracked. So I swapped to a pan body. And the screw holes for the front mount had stripped out. So I put nuts on top of the screws, which then rubbed my front springs. The rear tri-damper was hitting the body mount for the lexan body... so I had to swap that out for a disc damper, which completely changed the preload of the top shock, and required a different t-plate. In the end, I never reallly got the car working the way I wanted, and was just happy to finish the B main to focus on the spec classes to follow.

Thanks again for the event, and I look forward to the next one.

Last edited by EMU; 2018.07.29 at 03:25 PM.
EMU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.07.29, 03:44 PM   #33
mleemor60
Curmudgeon & Moderator

How about some photo's and field rundown!
mleemor60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.07.29, 03:58 PM   #34
EMU
EMUracing

They are still getting the data to post it, along with videos... My memory is shot, was up for about 40hrs straight to prepare and race. I will try to give it a try.

Kyosho Stock
EMU
Mike Keely
Dwight
Arch2B
Tommy Lane (TQ)

70 Comp
EMU (TQ)
Mike Keely
Dwight
Tommy Lane

Modified A
Roland Shao (TQ)
Dwight
Mike Keely
Tommy Lane
Devin

Modified B
Tommy Lane
Mike Keely
EMU
Arch2b
John B

I left off names, because I really cant remember who was where... im all scrambled up. Once the data is posted, we will update.

We should have taken a group photo earlier when more people were there. I pulled the photo off of F$book, will pull some more when I get some time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 37998775_10160584467345153_1752075133230514176_n.jpg (62.1 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by EMU; 2018.07.29 at 04:09 PM.
EMU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.07.29, 08:40 PM   #35
Mike Keely

I think that you had most of it correct from what I remember.

Kyosho Stock
EMU
Mike Keely
Dwight
Arch2B
Tommy Lane (TQ)

70 Comp
EMU (TQ)
Dwight
Mike Keely
Arch2b
Tommy Lane

Modified A
Roland Shao (TQ)
Mike Keely
Dwight
Tommy Lane
Devin

Modified B
Tommy Lane (bumped up to the A)
Mike Keely (bumped up to the A)
EMU
Arch2b
John B
Old 2018.07.29, 09:05 PM   #36
EMU
EMUracing

That looks more correct.
Old 2018.07.30, 03:20 AM   #37
herman

Congrats, looks like you all had lots of fun...
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.07.30, 07:13 AM   #38
Zeromerk89

As I said on FBook, I had a blast. I'm really hoping for a second race at this location. Loved the store. Really enjoyed talking to all of you. In all honesty I had forgotten to even check this forum.

I'd love to see cruizin get his track up again but last time I saw it it was in bad shape. Either way this hobby town is only a little over 1.5 hours from where I live making it easy to attend events.

Tommy you forgot me in the stock class... DEAD LAST! LOL. It's a learning experience and I will be setting up a new stock class car for the next time, no more 86mm chassis, hahahahahaha...

I took some video and posted them to YouTube. I can share the links here if any of you would like. Videos aren't that great, but it's video none the less.
Zeromerk89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.07.30, 05:58 PM   #39
EMU
EMUracing

Glad you could come. It was nice meeting you, and talking for the brief time that I didnt have my face stuffed into my mod car trying to get it sorted out.

Would be nice to get some Mini-Z racing back up at Cruizin.

The Stratos is a hard car to drive, it has such a small setup window and any contact with anything leaves you in a bad spot. We had run a box stock class (90mm or under) and I was banned from the class for winning too much with the Porsche GT1, the only way that I could get back in the class was to run the Stratos. I never got a win with it, but set some great fast laps.

It is important to have a car that is first consistent, then fast. It is easier to find speed than keep an edgy car consistent. Race your own clock, and dont focus on the fast guys too much. Eventually, speed will come up. 94 and 98mm configurations are the ones to focus on. They have the widest assortment of fast and consistent bodies. Start with the widest body with the lowest overhangs past the axles. Audi R8 is a good choice. I like 94mm a little more, since it offers a little more rear traction and drive off the corners.

The MM2 (MZ217) motormount is what you want to use for the Stock class. It was my first time racing that mount, and I even think it would be perfectly fine for 70t class racing as well so long as you can get the gearing right. The other alternative, is an LM car. Both have rear disc dampers, which settle the rear end.
Old 2018.07.30, 09:50 PM   #40
Zeromerk89

Yea, you all told me the Stratos was not the best idea from the getgo. lol, I just wanted to see it go. It looked good going around the track so I was happy. I also didn't have enough parts to put together a 94 or 98mm car. Ive already corrected that and am looking for an ASF chassis to build another Box Stock class car. I did pick up the motor mount you mentioned after Tommy reccomended it. It was there so I figured why not.

Now to find that ASF MR03...
Old 2018.07.30, 09:54 PM   #41
EMU
EMUracing

I may be downsizing someof my fleet soon. First need to test what works and doesn't. Do you have an asf radio?
Old 2018.07.30, 11:17 PM   #42
Zeromerk89

yep. its an EX5-UR. its kind of old i think.
Old 2018.07.31, 04:47 AM   #43
EMU
EMUracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeromerk89 View Post
yep. its an EX5-UR. its kind of old i think.
Not as old as my Helios that I am still using, but a good ASF radio.
Old 2018.07.31, 06:22 AM   #44
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
First time, bound to be hiccups. Just the learning curve and the way it is. I managed to leave all my camera cables and power supplies sitting on my work table which lead to two instances in which end of races were cut off on my recordings

The location, at 4 hours distance, it's not the closest place to get to but not the farthest I've traveled either. I'm sure I can make this event once every couple of months. Monthly is to frequent for me as I'm already reaching my time crunch with club racing. It would however be a great opportunity for those within easy travel distance. You really can't beat having the opportunity to learn from and compete with some of the best on this coast.

The store was nice. Big space, very clean and well lighted. Staff was friendly and most helpful. It would be nice to have a fan to better move air around on the mezzanine level as the air gets kinda still up there. Love the fact that they made large openings in the walls to look down over the store, great feature and helps make it feel open. Placing chairs on both sides of tables is a bit ambitious for RC pit space Really only space for about half the chairs up there. It made for a nice community feel though with all, or nearly all the racers pitting in the same area. I often find that getting time to walk around and chat, look at cool stuff is difficult to do at some events with people spread out all over. There was plenty of interesting things to see as well. I got to look at an FWD car up close and personal for the first time, something I've been wanting to do for awhile as I'm hesitant to drop the month on it without trying it out first (I would be swapping the electronics immediately to ASF). The yellow Lotus was a great throwback to earlier times as well. I had one of those autoscales many, many years ago and always loved the design of the car and it's rally legend status. I was never bold enough to race it though

The track was large, spacious and really, the plastic rails were not as brutal as one would have imagined. Not nearly as bad as some of the wood rail tracks i raced in the past. Trust me, I hit the rails enough Saturday and didn't break anything other than popping out some headlights. There is clearly enough space for regional size events which is awesome as there are few on this coast that can. Simply tons of potential!
Truth be told, carpet just isn't my thing. It was nice, more flat than RCP for sure but you still have ripples, air pockets, bulges at edges, patches, etc. I can certainly see the appeal and appreciate what it offers but I've been running on RCP since RCP began and it's ingrained in me as much as carpet is for others since carpet has been around much longer than RCP. I spent a good deal of time trying to overcome the need to put a ton of left steering trim in all my cars and still get a relatively straight follow through. With more time and practice I'm sure I could work it out but it's a steep learning curve for a first time carpet racer. I'm sure I will do better at future races with even more time on the track.
The layout was very fun, lots of opportunity for overtaking and likewise getting passed . for stock, I was pretty much full throttle the entire time. My best car of the day was 70 comp (my HFAY car). It always has been my best performing car and made the switch to carpet easier than stock and MOD. I never did get my MOD car setup to carpet and don't think I'll run that class again as the lipo cars are far to fast and I'm just a rolling speed bump. MOD class was never my strong suit anyway. My highlight was finishing 70 comp 4 seconds behind Mike, just missing out on a trophy finish. This was only really possible due to Mike's car running abnormally slow for whatever reason. I would normally otherwise never be able to close the gap like a did Saturday.

Shafiq had his hands full for sure and I can certainly sympathize with the frustrations of running an event. All in all, I'm sure it will improve quickly as it's fortunate in a sense to hit the bumps early on and know what does and doesn't work. That makes it that much easier to improve on the next one. Biggest crunch of the day was simply time and it almost always is at events. It's tuff to be a grunt and push a time schedule. It's certainly not fun to be the time master but helps get through 1-1.5 hours of race time in a timely manner. Hats off to the guys for slogging through it and getting all the classes in! Shafiq, Eugene and Tommy pulled together what I hope will become a regular event and prosper. I'll be there whenever I can and always there to help in any way I can. Thanks also to Devin who marshaled a good deal of the day. There was plenty of tip toeing around the track needed and kept him busy. I know I kept shafiq plenty busy flipping my car at the loop most frequently.

Can't express how nice it is to race at an event that also sells parts, it's so convenient to just pop over to purchase something.

I need to create a better travel checklist for myself, I left far to many things at home that I ended up needing. Funny enough, none of what I was missing were car parts, just all the convenience and troubleshooting things I would typically carry with me and forgot.

Really and truly, great job! I had a good time and enjoyed the experience. Thanks for getting the sponsors involved and their swag as well. I look forward to future events.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.07.31, 06:59 AM   #45
EMU
EMUracing

Ray, your 70 Comp car looked good... There were times that I was slowly closing in on you, and decided just to pace you since you were more or less running the pace that I was at the time.

I can completely understand the carpet learning curve. Every carpet that I have driven has been different. The Cruizin carpet was very squirmy because silicone tires were used. Bruckner has the same Kyosho carpet that cruizin had, but uses Kyosho tire and the grip is super high and consistent, almost feels like driving on RCP glass. I have driven 1/10 F1 on CRC black carpet at 360 raceway a few times, and I am still getting the hang of it. The steering is very sensitive on initial input, but then fades through the mid as the pile loads. I had to lower my steering angle on my transmitter to get the car dialed in the way I wanted. i also went to a negative curve, which is something that I never do on RCP. After years of driving RCP, I still like it a lot. Carpet I feel has a larger setup window, and is less sensitive to sidewall height compared to RCP. If anything, I think it prefers a taller sidewall.

The Eneloop cells that I was using seem decent for stock motors, but for some reason my AD Stock (41t Atomic short stack armature) didnt seem to have the normal grunt that it usually does. I borrowed a hot set of cells from Shafiq, and right back to mod speed. My mod car wasnt fun at all, it had some weird quirks on a couple sections and I seemed to forget one of my parts bins with all of my t-plates on my workstation at home. My mod pace was only 1L faster than my stock pace, which for a track with a good amount of high speed sections, was a lot. In general, I prefer stock or pro stock classes, my driving style is more that of a momentum style than point and shoot that is more typical in modified.

I would have preferred to pit upstairs, but Roland wanted company and had issue with the stairs and asked to pit downstairs. I felt a little removed from the community by doing so.

Tommy really did the leg work to get the event coordinated. I consulted for class structure and tried to spec everything out in as fair a manner as I could. We expected more locals with sports cars, which is why we focused more on keeping the gear ratios a bit lower.

Moving forward, I would be more interested in running 70t in the stock class, and trying to spec the comp class around the 5600kv Kyosho Eco motor. I think that would be a speed level attainable by either a 50t or 43t brushed motor, which is safe to run on ASF, but is asking a bit much for the sports. Due to the fact that the Eco motor comes with the VE chassis, it is a good way to keep costs down for new entries, but we may need to evaluate performance of the PN 5500 to see how they stack up for people that want to use upgraded motor mounts.

There was talk about 2S 3500kv. This is something that needs to be evaluated as well. I personally feel that brushless/lipo has less variance than brushed/nimh, and has potential for closer racing. I just feel that 2S is faster than I want to go. I like 70t and 50t speeds, as that is where the best racing occurs, so when I have a 2S car running with a 3500kv motor, I will be able to do appropriate testing. Once I get freed up from my projects, I will go to a test track and run many laps.