Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts

Go Back   Mini-ZRacer.com Forums > Manufacturers > Flip Side

Closed Thread

Old 2008.04.22, 03:49 PM   #16
Z_408

The software looks great and very promising. I would love a beta version to test. Please let me know what I can do.

thanks.
Old 2008.04.22, 08:14 PM   #17
pinwc4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_408 View Post
The software looks great and very promising. I would love a beta version to test. Please let me know what I can do.

thanks.
Sorry that I have vanished for a bit here. I had vacation and now am at training followed by my sisters wedding next week so I am not online much right now. The software is progressing though, but my crazy schedule is part of why I am predicting that it will be mid-May before it will be available for download. When it is I will post a link here for anyone to use.

The software will end up here when available:
http://www.flipsideracing.org/projects/fslapcounter

Right now the site does not have much but soon it will. Plus I will open up the ticketing system when it is release so you can submit tickets.
Old 2008.04.22, 08:20 PM   #18
pinwc4

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonen View Post
I can't get you quite right. But what I mean by configurable race format is:

Once all drivers are selected, separate them into races of a certain number of drivers at a time. Then according to their results, to have the possibility to re-sort them again, so that the fastest guys race again but with the other fastest guys, and slower drivers, with the other slowest guys. and so on in any amout of series.

This would be qualification time. But it's not the only way to have a qualy. F1 Style is another: 3 series of limited time and only the fastest guys advance to the next. Or old style F1, where 1 lap per driver setted his position on the grid.

This are too many options. A software can have them all. If you want I'd like to give you a hand on this. Just msg me or find me with msn messenger.

Then after qualy, you have the finals. Easier task. But you can have some special catch ups in the middle between Q and F. For example, we do two series of Q. The 4 fastest go directly to the Final. But the rest have an extra chance to enter the Final and fight for a win. They have what we call a Catch up. A piramidal series of very short races where first and second in each race advance to the next round. Starting with the 6 or 4 slowest guys in the field. This way someone that had any kind of trouble in the qualis, can make it into the Final.

But as I said before, Race Formats are various and there are so many as you can imagine. Anyway, they can be resumed into a few and packed into a software. CORE did it nicely. Check out CORE if you haven't.

Let me know if you need any help. I'l be glad to help you out.
I completely misunderstood what you are saying. What you said above makes more sense. What you are proposing is the majority of the logic needed for doing point series etc. Right now that is too much work to get done any time soon.

Now if you or someone else wants to take a crack at it msg me.

I do have the Core software and what we are developing does not have all those features yet. But it is a start, and getting started is sometimes the hardest part.
Old 2008.04.22, 08:35 PM   #19
pinwc4

Quote:
Originally Posted by russp View Post
I'll be willing to try it out. I thought about this myself sometime back but I've been too lazy to do anything about it. I started something in Visual C and got partway there for single car tracking for HFAY purposes. In any case, where do you recommend to buy the reader? My initial search turned up no good sources for it.
I wish I had a good answer for this but I do not have one yet. So far the Core reader is the only complete solution.

For the DIYish route the biggest problem is I can not find a good supplier for an antenna. Specifically you need a 13.56 Mhz antenna at 50 ohm. I have experimented with building one with mixed results. So far no matter a skilled professional would have to tune the antenna.

If I can come up with a good antenna design that is cheap and easy to tune linking it to this reader seems the easiest way to go.

http://www.dlpdesign.com/rf/rfid1.shtml

It has a built in antenna which is good for testing, but the built in one can be easily bypassed. I have not used it yet but plan on buying one soon to try it out.

I plan on spending more time with hardware after some of the software is worked out.
Old 2008.05.19, 09:31 PM   #20
pinwc4

Short update on the status of this. I had hoped to have the alpha released yesterday but we are not quite there yet. We are very close but the driver for the Core reader is not done yet. We also have a nasty crash bug on Linux to resolve. Hopefully in the next two weeks we will have this out the door.

But one person on the forums did get an advanced copy to try out. Maybe he will post a little bit of his experience...

While we are a bit behind schedule we did get to a couple of the simpler suggestions that people on the forum provided. For example an additional race type of lap and timed was created.

Also we got some nice new graphics from DansDecals, here is an updated screen shot from part of the program.

Old 2008.05.19, 10:44 PM   #21
herman

cool...
Old 2008.05.20, 01:35 AM   #22
cdog4w

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinwc4 View Post
But one person on the forums did get an advanced copy to try out. Maybe he will post a little bit of his experience...
I'm the lucky guy who got the advance copy, and while I haven't tried all the other software out there, I think everyone will be really happy with this.

I've tried Lap Timer 2000 and Laps Free previously, but not core or giroz's software. Lap Timer 2000 started as a slot timer, but can be used with laser setups so it was pretty simple/straightforward. Laps Free has a lot more to it, but was quite unwieldy and difficult to just pick up and use. This is where pinwc4's work shines, I was able to start it up, look at driver info and get into a practice race within a minute. Everything was intuitive. Even cooler are the graphs (viewable during racing or after) that give you more info to dig into about your race.

I haven't spent an exhaustive amount of time playing with the various race settings because I'm primarily testing out my own IR based lap timer hardware (the reason pinwc4 was gracious enough to give me an advance copy). I was more interested in making sure all my laps were counted than trying out the lap + time race cutoff :P

So my conclusion is that its easy to use and looks great doing it!
Old 2008.07.25, 11:00 AM   #23
leonen
Scuderia Leone Racing

Send a message via MSN to leonen
Any updates on this?
Http://www.ScuderiaLeoneRacing com.ar/
Old 2008.07.25, 12:17 PM   #24
briankstan

I'm anxiously awaiting for this as well.
Old 2008.07.26, 08:35 AM   #25
pinwc4

As am I....

I apologize for the lack of updates. Progress has been made, just much slower than I had intended. Some bugs have been squashed and new graphics from Dan "Drinian" at dansdecals.com. Also I finally figured out the nasty crash bug in Linux. Now I just need to tweak the layout some and it should be usable. And I begun working on allowing external programs to feed lap times. Plus some other changes that I do not immediately recall.

Unfortunately one of the previous programmers who I had working on communication with the Core hardware had too many scheduling conflicts so I had a to hire a new programmer. I shipped off my prototype hardware to him this week. He has done good work for me in the past so I am confident he will be able to finish this.

So I hope in less than 2 months he will deliver that piece and we will be ready.
Old 2008.09.29, 10:14 AM   #26
briankstan

Just checking in for an update. I'm excited to see what the product will be like?

did you get your core driver working yet? I'd be interested in testing for you.
Old 2008.09.29, 09:24 PM   #27
pinwc4

Quote:
Originally Posted by briankstan View Post
Just checking in for an update. I'm excited to see what the product will be like?

did you get your core driver working yet? I'd be interested in testing for you.
I have a Alpha version working with the Core hardware but we have two major bugs to work out before release though. And I have only experimented with it either by myself on a track or with multiple tags on the bench, it has not been race tested.

After adding the Core driver we have a memory leak. An 8 minute race adds somewhere around 128MB of extra RAM usage. I know generally where in the software it is happening and it should not be hard to track down and fix.

The other is more theoretical, I think that when multiple people are in the loop at the same time that I could miss a lap. Just need to add some collision logic. I may send out a release without adding this just to see if people encounter this problem in real life.

Other than these I have a couple minor things that may or may not get cleaned up before I let people try it out.

We are really close and I am on vacation for the next two weeks so I hope I can finish this early release up.
Old 2008.09.30, 10:37 AM   #28
briankstan

sounds good, I can test it with multiply cars if/when the time comes. I typically can set up a track at any time and have the family run to test. let me know if you need the help.
Old 2008.10.09, 11:46 AM   #29
leonen
Scuderia Leone Racing

Send a message via MSN to leonen
PinWc4,

Do you have an alpha package already? We have developed in our club something we call Vision-Z. It's an Online Race Replay system, that uses information extracted directly from files generated by CORE to create this, or this.

We also created a web page that allows web users to navigate CORE Result files, click here

It would be fantastic to embed something like this into your application and have it all in the same package. If you can send us a copy to test it and see how could we do this integration, perhaps we can work together.

Let me know...
Http://www.ScuderiaLeoneRacing com.ar/
Old 2008.10.09, 11:44 PM   #30
pinwc4

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonen View Post
PinWc4,

Do you have an alpha package already? We have developed in our club something we call Vision-Z. It's an Online Race Replay system, that uses information extracted directly from files generated by CORE to create this, or this.

We also created a web page that allows web users to navigate CORE Result files, click here

It would be fantastic to embed something like this into your application and have it all in the same package. If you can send us a copy to test it and see how could we do this integration, perhaps we can work together.

Let me know...
I know this has been slower going that I expected but we are really close. In fact this weekend we plan on using it to run our race night. This will be the first time it has been used for real racing instead of just playing with it on a workbench. If it works well enough for us I will upload it next week for others to try out. But again it is an Alpha so it will have bugs and missing features....

In regards to your replay system that is very interesting work. Do you already have a version that runs on a local PC? My main concern would be if it were Windows only, we used a language called Realbasic to develop the software as this gives us better cross platform capabilities. You are welcome to email me to chat about this further as maybe we can bundle it Windows only.

I have attached an example report that our software generates. It is a little different than the Core software as we chose to use XML as the primary format for the export hoping if people wanted to analyze in other software that it would be easier than working with HTML. But we also generate a plain HTML for those that want that.

Additionally all the information is in a local SQLite database so you could reach in directly that way also.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Practice 2008-10-08 15-48-44.zip (32.0 KB, 12 views)
Closed Thread