Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2005.10.10, 10:20 PM   #61
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
you know whats funny, i post just about identical stuff on the 'other' forum and they just assume i'm kyosho biased. i would not have spent $141 if that was the case.

here is the video of the wheels toe out during forward movement.
http://www2.mini-zracer.com/albums/a...g_movement.wmv

btw, chuckyluv came over tonight and got a 1st hand look at the lancer and h2. he can vouch for my findings and he has triple the rc experience i have.

i do feel the steering is fixable maybe with alloy knuckles and do dads. there just has to be parts with higher levels of precision and tolerance.

the offroad kit is critical in my opinion to the viability of these being offroad trucks, way more important than the awd upgrade. afterall, whats the point in awd if the front end hangs up on pebbles.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.10.10, 10:38 PM   #62
EnTg888

Wow, that's more slop than a Zipzaps SE
This definitely puts a hole in my plans to buy one... it's not any better than the overland. I do agree, Radioshack needs to up their quality along with their price - its $10 more and we still have the same wheel slop, if not worse?
As it seems in the videos- is the slop in some way connected to the suspension? (the car goes down if the wheel is pushed back it seems)
Old 2005.10.10, 10:40 PM   #63
arch2b

the problems seem to be in the knuckles. the suspension is just soft and when the tires toe out when moving forward, it pushes the front end down.
Old 2005.10.10, 10:42 PM   #64
HammerZ
Master of Thrash

Send a message via MSN to HammerZ
It look's like you are slamming on the brakes when it toes out. I would guess the AWD set would pull the front tires forward under power.
Old 2005.10.10, 11:54 PM   #65
EnTg888

Yeah, unsteady power, lol. But I guess logically the awd would reduce the toe-out but not eliminate the problem. (Just as I thought - like the old xmods, the knuckles are causing it)
Old 2005.10.11, 05:13 AM   #66
arch2b

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerZ
It look's like you are slamming on the brakes when it toes out. I would guess the AWD set would pull the front tires forward under power.
no, the toe out is under accelleration. the friction is causing the truck to stop very quickly instead of coasting. i was not braking at all as you can tell, i hit the camera several times

at this point the truck is pretty much undrivable in this condition unfortunately. you can still get it around the track but it's now slower and the turning radius has jumped way up.

bearings and knucnkles will be the key i guess. too bad i'm not spending anymore money on it... atleast no more plans to do so until after i get the ma-010, at which point i'll likely forget about the h2.
Old 2005.10.11, 07:35 AM   #67
byebye

Quote:
Originally Posted by arch2b
no, the toe out is under accelleration. the friction is causing the truck to stop very quickly instead of coasting. i was not braking at all as you can tell, i hit the camera several times

at this point the truck is pretty much undrivable in this condition unfortunately. you can still get it around the track but it's now slower and the turning radius has jumped way up.

bearings and knucnkles will be the key i guess. too bad i'm not spending anymore money on it... atleast no more plans to do so until after i get the ma-010, at which point i'll likely forget about the h2.
That's really too bad. Thanks for the review and I'm sure this will help alot of people make thier decision on this purchase.

-Byebye
byebye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.10.11, 09:57 AM   #68
imxlr8ed

I actually hate saying this but, Once again... Xmod quality shines through ! I'm sure alloy would help a little, but it should perform right out of the box !!!
Thanks Arch ! (saved me some money for sure !)

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/UID

http://www.howfastareyou.com

SUPPORT LBR!!!
(Local Basement Racing)
imxlr8ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.10.11, 02:16 PM   #69
TeaQue

Quote:
you know whats funny, i post just about identical stuff on the 'other' forum and they just assume i'm kyosho biased. i would not have spent $141 if that was the case.

here is the video of the wheels toe out during forward movement.
http://www2.mini-zracer.com/albums/a...g_movement.wmv

btw, chuckyluv came over tonight and got a 1st hand look at the lancer and h2. he can vouch for my findings and he has triple the rc experience i have.

i do feel the steering is fixable maybe with alloy knuckles and do dads. there just has to be parts with higher levels of precision and tolerance.

the offroad kit is critical in my opinion to the viability of these being offroad trucks, way more important than the awd upgrade. afterall, whats the point in awd if the front end hangs up on pebbles.
Yeah, I swear that forum is run by 10 year olds

---==6-Cell Mod Tutorial==---
TeaQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.10.11, 04:06 PM   #70
Roketmini
The C is Missing.

Send a message via AIM to Roketmini
Quote:
i just finished installing the awd and offroad kit on teh h2 to say that was a pain is an understatement. initial thoughts.... looks to be a ig improvement. i'll see how it actually performs before commenting further.

doesn't look like i will get to the lancer awd... took too long for the h2.

Not to be rude...but i think the 4WD wouldnt take that long to put in, or would it be that hard. It only took me 20 mins to clean the gears after some baseball diamond runs the other day, and on my 1st gen car it took 15 mins to install 4wd. Maybe I just do quick crummy jobs...but who cares?

Its like this: Mini-Z:Macintosh::Xmod:Windows. The xmod has its faults (like Windows), but you get used to it, and once you switch to Macintosh (or get a Mini-Z), theres no going back. And if you try to go from a Mini-Z to an Xmod, the lack of non-entry level quality will surley dissapoint.

Oh and about the wheel slop, mine does not seem to do that. I didnt get to see the motor wires, which is actually a big clue about wether it was pre-production or not. A beta car would have orange wires, but a normal one would be black and red. The othe rindication of this is that my car does not have the orange suspension "top bar thingy's" (unless those are the lift kit ones)

Last edited by Roketmini; 2005.10.11 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Left some things out....
Roketmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.10.11, 04:34 PM   #71
byebye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roketmini
Not to be rude...but i think the 4WD wouldnt take that long to put in, or would it be that hard. It only took me 20 mins to clean the gears after some baseball diamond runs the other day, and on my 1st gen car it took 15 mins to install 4wd. Maybe I just do quick crummy jobs...but who cares?

Its like this: Mini-Z:Macintosh::Xmod:Windows. The xmod has its faults (like Windows), but you get used to it, and once you switch to Macintosh (or get a Mini-Z), theres no going back. And if you try to go from a Mini-Z to an Xmod, the lack of non-entry level quality will surley dissapoint.

Oh and about the wheel slop, mine does not seem to do that. I didnt get to see the motor wires, which is actually a big clue about wether it was pre-production or not. A beta car would have orange wires, but a normal one would be black and red. The othe rindication of this is that my car does not have the orange suspension "top bar thingy's" (unless those are the lift kit ones)
I really started to comment on what you said but I'd hate to hijack this thread. It's plain and simple. You can't compare and what arch2b did was NOT compare it to a Mini-z. He bought it, tested it, and reviewed.

-Byebye
byebye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.10.11, 05:35 PM   #72
TeaQue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roketmini

Theres been numerous people saying they have the same suspension slop problems.

Old 2005.10.11, 05:38 PM   #73
TeaQue

Hey Arch I just read over on the "other" forum that there are spacers you are supposed to use when installing the 4wd kit.

Did you leave these out? Maybe that helps with the slop some?

Edit: I read it as installed with the 4wd kit but now I think he means they are supposed to be installed when you put the truck together.

Last edited by TeaQue; 2005.10.11 at 05:52 PM.
Old 2005.10.11, 07:04 PM   #74
arch2b

i have no idea what spacers that he was referring to. i installed all the bushings that came with the awd kit. there were no other spacers, washers, bushings etc, etc, etc,. just someone making themselves sound like an ass it's like saying, hey you forgot the screw, you must feel like an idiot... just a stupid generaic statement with no real info at all. what bloddy screw? (example). just like those idiots who pop in to say this or that 'sucks' and nothing more. those are trash replies in my opinion as they offer nothing.

anywho.... i'm fairly certain i installed everythign and correctly as i went over it several times.

i have no doubt you can install the awd or lift kit in 15 minutes or less. it just happened to take me awhile but then again i only had a 5yr nagging me about running the lancer and keeping an eye on a 15 month old baby give a guy a break will ya...

my motor wires are red and black. i do not dare make such a stupid claim as to say all the trucks have the same flaws. i mearly pointed out what i found with mine.

all you have to do is read all the touble threads on xmods forums. you think you see alot here, go to a few of the larger xmods forums and they are littered with problem threads yet you mention it here and your just bashing xmods you mention it on xmods forums and you get blasted for restating the obvious. it's that irrational mentality that really annoys me whiether it happens here or elsewhere. i do my best to present well observed opinions and as unbaised comparisons as possible as i own just about all the small scale rc's.
Old 2005.10.11, 07:53 PM   #75
TeaQue

I know that you are unbiased.

You have to remember that this hobby mainly (at least xmods) caters to a younger crowd

I try not to spend much time over at the "other" forum for the reasons you posted.

The moderators are idiots (for the most part) and the content usually isn't very informative.

We all appreciate your threads and opinions...well at those of us with half a brain