Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2003.12.10, 12:41 PM   #1
pedrolf
Mini-Z Novice

Unhappy Mini-Z car questions

Hi all , my name is Pedro Fernandez and a couple days ago I ran into these Mini-z cars on the net. I fell in love quickly and have been checking a bunch of them aswell as their proper reviews. I am really really thinking about buying one of course…buty I have a lot of questions in mind , nad need some help from r/c experienced enthusiasts. Please respond to my questions either in this forum or e-mail your opinions and or comments to my address please. Thanks. PLF

• What is the difference with chassis machinery between the mini-z outlander and any mini-z racer?
• Is the mini-z BMW X5 outlander the same as the Mitsubishi Pajero in terms of Chassis and Machinery? If not , which is stronger?
• Can you switch car bodies to the outlanders?...Can I adjust a Honda civic body to the pajero chassis for example?
• What is the strongest engine available for mini-z cars?..in terms of hopups I mean.
• How fast can these little cars go?..what is the top speed?
• I would also love to know if there is an online website or manual that explains all the parts of the chassis, because I have NO idea to what any parts are , and their functions.

These are just some of the questions I have in mind ….thank you all in advance.
pedrolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.12.10, 01:53 PM   #2
Newbster
Actual Picture

Send a message via AIM to Newbster
First off Id like to welcome you to the forum Pedro!

Ok now,
  • The mini-z overlander and mini-z racer are COMPLETELY differant as far as parts and "machinary" go.
  • The only differance in those two models is the chasses length. All OL chassis are the same (unless of course its modded) and the lengths can be changed. Im not sure about this 1 but other members have said that the BMW X5 body is a LOT weaker than the Pajero (or LC). The Pajero is a smaller body so the chassis is shorter and the length DOES affect the climbability, tire sizes allowed, and the whatnot but like I said that is all changable with stock parts.
  • Im not too sure but if you could it would require extensive modifications of the body to allow for the shocks to travel and just to mount it.
  • The strongest KYOSHO made motor is the X-Speed which is about $20. The best NON KYOSHO motor is NML's HandWound motor (Im not sure of the model off the top of my head) but most of his motors do require FET modifications, for his fastest motor AND FETS I think its about $123
  • This all depends on your setup.
  • The best thing to do for this is just to read up on the forums and browse through the Photo Albums

I hope that helps
Newbster
Old 2003.12.10, 06:25 PM   #3
fraz

The Pajero is the shortest wheelbase, I have one. I am pretty sure the BMW is the same.
Old 2003.12.10, 06:53 PM   #4
Newbster
Actual Picture

Send a message via AIM to Newbster
No the BMW has the same wheelbase as the LC
Old 2003.12.11, 12:59 AM   #5
pianoman
www.mini-zracer.com/shop/

Pedro, welcome to the forums...your manners are appreciated!

The mini-z's go from about 10 MPH (stock) to 18 MPH (modified). Faster speeds are attainable, but you seriously risk major damage and reliability issues.

If ya wonder how tough these cars are...check out this video:

http://www.mini-zracer.com/forums/sh...426#post103426

Cheers, and again, welcome!

If you get one you will be addicted as most of us are now.
Old 2003.12.11, 12:13 PM   #6
pedrolf
Mini-Z Novice

Kyosho GP TR-15 Lancer ok for rookie?

How long have you been in this hobby of r/c cars?...I ask you cuz you know much more than I do obviously , and me being a beginner and all , I want to start with something very good. What would you say to me if I asked you what you thought of a novice starting out with a Kyosho GP TR-15 Lancer ( the rally car)? Of course Im talking about me and Im asking you this because when I saw this little car I fell in love in less than a split second!!!....Do you think that this type of car is just fine for a newcomer like me , or is it too big for my britches yet?
Thanks a million,
PLF
pedrolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.12.11, 12:49 PM   #7
pianoman
www.mini-zracer.com/shop/

My first RC car was a 1/8th scale Nitro buggy...I had no idea what I was in for! I had trouble starting it, so I bought a rustler electric and had sooo much fun with that truck! I THEN had a blast with the nitro car, but traded it for an E-Max so I could run it without disrupting the neighborhood.

In my opinion, ANY electric car will be better than nitro for the first RC toy...after that, go nuts!

I will soon be buying a nitro car because I miss the raw power and sound.

Pianoman
Old 2003.12.11, 03:28 PM   #8
RCMotorsport

First car

Quote:
How long have you been in this hobby of r/c cars?.
Over 20 years here and plan for atleast 20 more way to much fun not to keep doing

Quote:
I want to start with something very good
well you doing the right thing by asking a lot of questions and kyosho brand is a good brand to start with.

Quote:
a novice starting out with a Kyosho GP TR-15 Lancer ( the rally car)or is it too big for my britches ?
any of the kyosho mini Z cars or trucks would be a great start for any novice racer the cars are easy to work on and have lots of custom parts to fit what you like to do, what is nice is that you found this site before hand so you are getting the right info before you buy and if you do get into a problem we are here to help.

RCMotorsport
For the People
RCMotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.12.11, 07:31 PM   #9
stuZ
mini-z muckraker

don't do it
walk away now

just kidding. mini-z's are sweet!!!
I was just a car buff 'til last july, then my friend brought his pajero and t-maxx over to my house, the t-maxx was cool,
but that z was just what I didn't know I really wanted.
One was all it took, then I went nuts.

An overland is a good first car, it runs on semi tall carpet, linoleum, packed dirt, whatever, but racers require a flatter surface (cardboard is cheap and good, or low pile carpet). Not that they can't take some bumps and jumps, but they're really not designed for it like the overland.

Pianoman is right about electric being best for a first car. nitro is a messy pain (IMHO). That kyosho GP tr-15 you mentioned is supposedly available in an electric kit, but I've yet to find one.
At the risk of getting flamed like a benson&hedges, take a look at the team losi mini-t, or hpi microRS4 as well. (I'd still recommend a Z)
stuZ is offline   Reply With Quote