Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts

Go Back   Mini-ZRacer.com Forums > General Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion

View Poll Results: will you use the kt18 for box stock racing?
yes 2 13.33%
no 13 86.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011.08.11, 06:51 AM   #1
herman

controller for box stock racing - kt18? y or n

just wondering what are your views on using the kt18 for box stock racing...
i think to keep everything on a fair and level ground, the kt18 should be used, since using something other than the kt18 will enable one to have a slight advantage in terms of adjusting the settings... what are your thoughts?

opps made a mistake...

poll question should read....

should the kt18 be used for box stock racing?... yes or no?

Last edited by herman; 2011.08.11 at 07:00 AM.
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.08.11, 07:42 AM   #2
LED

I voted no because I think that most people have another transmitter anyway. And if they dont and they race mod with the KT-18, then they will have no problem using it for stock.
I feel this transmitter breaks down to much to be reliable, and the fact that only one model can be stored is major pain if you have more then 1 car.
LED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.08.11, 08:19 AM   #3
Guinness

Quote:
Originally Posted by LED View Post
and the fact that only one model can be stored is major pain if you have more then 1 car.
are you referring to the 1 model memory or pairing? the KT-18 can pair a lot more than 1 model. When I had a kt-18, i had about 10 ASF cars paired to it and i'm pretty sure i could've paired a lot more. but it was a pain to adjust alignment every time i changed cars.

But with that said, my kt-18 broke and the steering pot went bad so i upgraded to an EX-10 euros.

i voted no in the poll b/c anyone who has used another transmitter will not want to downgrade to a kt-18...or even go out any buy one just for one class of racing

Last edited by Guinness; 2011.08.11 at 08:22 AM.
Guinness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.08.11, 08:57 AM   #4
LED

If I would mean pair I would have said pair.
No I ment what you describe, changing trims each time you use a different car.
You can try and count, but you loose count somewhere along the line anyway.

If you guys want to use a fixed transmitter, use th UR5 ASF. Just a little bit more expensive but much less of a headace
LED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.08.11, 09:45 AM   #5
bermbuster
GF Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by herman View Post
just wondering what are your views on using the kt18 for box stock racing...
i think to keep everything on a fair and level ground, the kt18 should be used, since using something other than the kt18 will enable one to have a slight advantage in terms of adjusting the settings... what are your thoughts?

opps made a mistake...

poll question should read....

should the kt18 be used for box stock racing?... yes or no?
I think box stock racing should allow whatever tx you desire. In box stock the 2.4asf is not the only frequency either. You could have am cars in the mix as well.
Box stock racing maybe a stepping stone for most racers and if a racer wants to take box stock to the legal (gray area ) limits to win so be it. Im sure the race director will catch this and make corrections.
bermbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.08.11, 12:27 PM   #6
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
voted NO and for many reasons.

1. the kt-18 is not included in ALL box stock kits thus not a box stock radio. only comes with EX readysets at the moment.
2. i've had several KT-18s and not liked any of them for personal and QC reasons.
3. not a stellar track record for reliability.
4. @$80-150 depending on which one you buy and where, it's like throwing your money away when a 1UR or 5UR are only slightly more expensive and much better transmitters for the money spent.
5. not convenient to use at all for those with more than 1 vehicle.
6. not all box stock cars are 2.4 ASF. there are still AD Band and AM cars and kits out there which the KT-18 is not compatible with.

Last edited by arch2b; 2011.08.11 at 12:35 PM.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.08.11, 06:47 PM   #7
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
I voted no. Many have covered the reasons why it is not a good radio for box stock racing, so Im not going to say the same things. With such limited adjustability for the chassis, you do need some adjustability with transmitter. Will a Helios/Eurus/EX-1UR make the car faster? No, but it will make it more comfortable to drive if you use that radio. You can use functions to change the feel of the car for something that is comfortable to you. TX choice should never be restricted, it is not part of the car.
Old 2011.08.12, 02:56 AM   #8
herman

many thanks to all who replied...

lots of good points raised...

biggest issue i guess would be the pricing of the kt-18...

from what i gather it would be a lot better investing your money in a more reliable transmitter... in say, an ex5-ur at least... (ex5-ur costs approx $145up compared to the kt-18 $80up)...

and for those of you who are already using higher end radios... it wouldn't be too logical spending that much on a kt-18, for... a downgrade... just to have fun in a box stock race... it's just too cost prohibitive... just to have fun...

as for me, i guess i was really lucky to get my first asf with the kt-18 at a real deal (or should i say steal?)...

way back in 2008, i figure i got mine a few weeks after kyosho released the asf in hong kong...
unknowingly to me, it was the last piece in a store that i popped into just before they were closing... (for related story click here)
how much did i get it for? 1,300 h.k.dollars which was approx 168 u.s.dollars at the time... that's the price i got it including the transmitter...

not purchasing the kt-18 wasn't an option since how else could i run it? the asf module was still on the drawing board....

funny thing is, when prices of the module began to stabilize, i purchased one, but i still used the kt-18, (kinda overkill using a helios all by yourself just for bashing around the house)

and to this day i never had any problems with it... but then again, my kt-18 hasn't had any racing experience in a loooong time... just running at a small track with one or two other guys using kt-18's (unfortunately that track opened and closed faster than you can say gesundheit - kinda sad but i digress)... so i can't really say anything pertaining to it's reliability during races...

thanks again everybody...
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.08.12, 02:21 PM   #9
color01

The only thing the KT-18 has going for it is it's fairly small, so people with very small hands can use it more easily. My girlfriend's hand is still a tick small for the EX-1UR lol, but the KT-18 fits fine. She recently said she'd try racing though (!) so it looks like I need to buy a new radio at some point.

Like others have alluded to, the KT-18 tends to get "drowned out" when everyone else is using a 9.6V or 11.1V battery pack and you're stuck on 4.8V. That is its biggest downfall IMO, and if you fix it by hooking up a 2S LiPo (7.2V) the trims and EPAs get really messed up.

Greyscale RC

PN Racing | My TinyRC Blog

Last edited by color01; 2011.08.12 at 02:30 PM.
color01 is offline   Reply With Quote