Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2002.07.04, 10:45 PM   #1
West.F1
San Marino GP- 4/25/04

rookie review: spring weight compression

alright, i've edited this post totally to reflect updated information.

again, the purpose of doing these compression tests was to see how much of a difference the red, green and yellow Kyosho brand springs have when compared to the stock springs.

i used a digital kitchen scale which measures in grams, ounces and pounds. the limit of the scale being up to 5 lbs. Each of the springs were measured several times and averaged. I then adjusted each result to the nearest whole number (or at least a number divisible by five) without getting too far from the original number obtained.

Remember that One pound of Weight = 500 Grams. All measurements below are in grams this time.

the % readings in parentheses are the difference in strength (+ or -) of the individual spring in relation to the stock spring. i only showed the % diff at half compression since we'll never see full compression while on track. Here are the results of what i found:

FRONT SPRINGS:

Full Compression

stock...............180
Red (soft)........220
Green (med)....162
Yellow (hard)...280

Half Compression

stock.......110
Red..........150 (+35%)
Green...... 80 (-30%)
Yellow.......210 (+90%)

as noted before there is a drop with the medium strength green spring (less compressive force) than the softer reds as well as the stock spring. this was repeated several times for confirmation and each time the green spring was always softer.

REAR SPRINGS:

Full Compression

stock............... 530
red (soft)......... 590
green (med).... 705
yellow (hard)... 1060

Half Compression

stock.........290
red............315 (+8%)
green........480 (+65%)
yellow....... 565 (+94%)

with the rear springs the color coding better matches the changes in compression strength. note the yellows are literaly DOUBLE that of stock at full compression and was close to double even at half compression ( 94% increase).

there you have it. Interesting what you find when you measure. we now have a better understanding of the color codes provided by Kyosho when dealing with spring compression/rates. i welcome any second opinions and thoughts.

thank you for your time.. again

West.F1
Self Proclaimed Independent Analyzer

Last edited by West.F1; 2002.07.06 at 09:19 AM.
West.F1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.07.05, 12:21 AM   #2
mini-z
Administrator

West.F1, thanks for yet another cool review. I wonder if it would be possible to do a test at half compression (more likely in real world use) to see if the surprising results are still the same?
mini-z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.07.05, 05:24 AM   #3
ultrawide
Same same, but different.

It's looks like West.F1 haven't much els to do over in Ohio!
But it's good work that he posts here, what about Mini-Zracer.com giving him some sponsor?
If he had 2 sets of front springs he could tell us more likley if they all are the same or it's a quality mistake?
ultrawide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.07.05, 07:46 AM   #4
West.F1
San Marino GP- 4/25/04

well, fortunately i'm not too terribly bored. lets just say it's a welcomed get away when you have two small children and several home improvement projects going on. In fact today i'm going boating. My wife is starting to think i need to get out and enjoy the sunshine

i'll see how much half compression and maybe even quarter compression looks like later this evening. I thought about half compression tests but didn't want to overburden with lots of numbers. i just wanted to get some initial numbers together to get a better idea how much of a difference these springs made.

say, for my next project i think i'll do aerodynamic testing with each body set. i can use my wife's hair dryer and maybe some dry ice..

just kidding folks. i'm not quite that bad. but close
Old 2002.07.05, 02:52 PM   #5
Lord_bunker
Mini-Z Pro

you could also try applying a set weight to it and measuing how far it compresses. that's a more typical way of measureing spring rates.
Lord_bunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.07.05, 04:17 PM   #6
West.F1
San Marino GP- 4/25/04

good point LB. it was a little awkward using the kitchen scale (especially to the wife) but this was the quickest most convenient way to get the measurements without spending on anything extra. i definately learned from it but all in all, it was only meant to be a temporary study.

i'll keep you all posted on the half compression results when i can get around to it. for now, i'm off to the lake.

cheers.

Last edited by West.F1; 2002.07.06 at 08:12 AM.
Old 2002.07.05, 11:58 PM   #7
mini-z
Administrator

Cool, keep up the informative reviews!
mini-z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.07.06, 02:13 AM   #8
Lord_bunker
Mini-Z Pro

i just had an idea,

bit off topic, maybe this could be tied into the forums,

there's a paintball website www.pbreview.com

you can post a review of the various equipment and give it a rating, something similiar would be cool for miniz parts.
Lord_bunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.07.06, 09:11 AM   #9
West.F1
San Marino GP- 4/25/04

my original post has been changed. please refer to the top for my updates.

later.
Old 2002.07.06, 12:14 PM   #10
ultrawide
Same same, but different.

Thumbs up

It's only gets better and better, what's next for review?
ultrawide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.07.08, 08:00 PM   #11
West.F1
San Marino GP- 4/25/04

there's definately several ideas i have lined up. It's just a matter of getting time to get them done. Strangely it takes longer to write it up than actually collecting the data