Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2002.01.17, 06:11 AM   #1
Justin

Send a message via ICQ to Justin
Rear Roll Shock

Hi All,

I am considering in investing in a set of Rear Roll Shocks, but am doubtful of whether or not they actually make much of a difference. The reason why I ask if they make a difference is that they sit in between the main chassis and the motor mount and just abot the H Plate. I know the shock has a carbon plate which will be in contact with the H Plate (similar to the stock triangular piece of plastic), but will this make a dramatic difference if you already have a Rear Shock Set with (medium springs), and also a Hard H plate (which is about medium now from flex)? Do any of you guru's (Mondo, D's Nutz, Drac, Russ, Mini Z) think there's much point in me investing in one - I'd just like some opinions from other who either have it or have used it (as I would like to confirm my suspicion for this piece of equipment once and for all). Before I conclude (I'll make a judgement from what I've seen and read that it does make a difference but shouldn't make that much of a difference for a car with the setup I have at the rear).

If I'm wrong - please correct me.

Cheers~!
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.01.17, 07:15 AM   #2
Mondo
Mini-Zedologist - Fear me

Side Shocks

Justin,

From experience, I can tell you I bought a TopCAD side shock set.
It's been 'binned' as it was a total piece of ©®@P!!!
My attitude towards that specific TopCAD product does not echo my sentiments on all the TopCAD products
The problem was just a badly designed product..

I am still after a decent roll shock set and will probably order one from the Mini-ZRacer.com shop once my first shipment from them arrives.

As for the benefits, well, because the product I had was so shoddy, I never got to use it at all..
Here's the Slim Shady on the hassles I had with it:
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showth...=&threadid=669

When I re-order a side shock set, I will probably go for the GPM triple oil-shock set . It costs over US$100, but worth every penny from what I have read. Buying in UKŁ's it's not that expensive

Mondo
Old 2002.01.17, 07:24 AM   #3
Justin

Mondo - hold up

Mondo,

I'm not sure if it's the right thing but today I called up the local hobby shop and they told me they sell a GM Triple Shock Rear Shock set for $94.95 AUSD. If you want it - I can get your a mail order one or give you their website. www.hobbyrama.com.au

Check it out before you buy it from the states - might save you some big bucks!

Cheers~!
Old 2002.01.17, 07:30 AM   #4
Mondo
Mini-Zedologist - Fear me

Tri-Shock Set

Justin,

Is that for the 'friction' or 'oil' set?

When I order one, it's going to be through the Mini-ZRacer.com shop along with other items I need.

Thanks anyways

Mondo
Old 2002.01.17, 07:34 AM   #5
Justin

Sorry Mondo

Mondo,

I can't be 100% sure so I cannot tell you. I will find out tomorrow if I'm not busy.

If it is - I'll let you know asap.

Cheers~!

Keep up the good faith~!
Old 2002.01.17, 10:27 AM   #6
jcostantino

Let me tell you, since mine should be getting here today: You need either the GPM 313a or 113a motor mount to mount the triple oil shock.

I ordered the 313a mount since it accepts both GPM and stock motors, looks hella cool, and cost the same as the 113a mount.

I believe the only reason it is needed is for the center shock and it's "possible" that one could fabricate a center shock mount, but I'll tell everyone what I find when it arrives.

Jeff
Old 2002.01.17, 12:15 PM   #7
Draconious

Send a message via AIM to Draconious Send a message via Yahoo to Draconious
I have never actualy used a roll shock, so my comments here should not be a final factor in deciding to use one...

I did try to build my own just cuz I was bored, this totaly sucked, but it made me realize that if just the 2 vertical shocks were used, and mounted behind the motor pod, say by using a MID motor mount, motor pod on backwards... and some how extending the top plate over the motor, it apears that it would work a bit better, and not need the center shock, the roll shocks would double as the primary shock system.

It would give less room for a body though.. I know my BMW body dont fit or I would have made one already .

If I were to buy a shock set, it would have to be 2 shocks that control the whole rear, less parts and lighter, the side shocks should potentialy do this, but they are all a bit over board for a Mini-Z in my opinion... I would want something more simple, and egad someting smaller! So for now I am sticking to just the carbon, aluminum, and plastic susp. plates.

As for your car, does your rear push down easier on each side? then it does if you push down evenly? then maybe you want a different plate, or a roll shock...
Old 2002.01.17, 02:25 PM   #8
dj_raoul
Full Option TT Racer

@Mondo

I have fixed the TopCAD roll-shocks!! All it needed was some locktite so you don't have to tighten the screws all the way to hold them. Now it really works like a charm, so smooth... Try it!!

@Justin

Sorry I can't really tell the difference that the roll-shocks make. But that's mainly because I made just one big step in option parts (so I don't know how it drives with all hop-ups but without roll-shock). I experience a lot of improvement but I think that's 80% due to my new ball diff and 25 tires...
dj_raoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.01.19, 02:11 AM   #9
323iT
Hit the Boost!!!

Send a message via AIM to 323iT
I have the kyosho roll shock and I have to say it works very well for me. I am using the H plate that came with the car. And I'm thinking about getting a thinner one so there would be more flex so it would take advantage of the roll shock. if you're using the carbon fiber H plates, don't even waste money on the roll shock cuz your car won't roll. Its too stiff
Kyosho Rear shock and Roll shocks
Kyosho front stabilizer
Kyosho Kingpin and front springs
TopCAD alloy bulkhead
TopCAD alloy motor mount(silver)
Energizer NiMH
my pics
323iT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.01.19, 06:20 AM   #10
Draconious

Send a message via AIM to Draconious Send a message via Yahoo to Draconious
Odd, the carbon fiber I have been making a few of my own plates out of, dont let the car flex both wheels up and down evenly very well, but when I try to roll it its like butter .
Old 2002.01.19, 06:24 AM   #11
Justin

Message for Drac

Drac,

I made this plate from .8mm carbon fibre but I sized it exactly the same size as the original Kyosho rear H plate. I didn't have many problems with it until recently - do you think it can also be the weather (since it's about 30+ degrees here in Australia at the moment)???

Cheers~!