Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2010.10.28, 06:53 AM   #61
will3kgt

I vote for both. There should be an option
to use both since we'll have a product that
can handle the voltage out of the box. If
these sell the way I think they will, I'm sure
most clubs won't have a problem adding another
class when racing if they already haven't.
will3kgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.10.28, 02:25 PM   #62
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix2010 View Post
The 1/28th Modified class needs chassis like these. We don't want to discourage inventors by excluding their chassis due to power source (lithium). One of the coolest things about Mini-Z racing (Perhaps some people hate it) is that it is 4.8v 4xAAA NiMH spec. Soldering together 4xAAA battery packs isn't difficult, even if they have to be a funky design.

One more thing - Is the chassis Fiberglass or composite, or carbon fiber, i.e. base plate, etc.?
i'm all for encouraging inventors and experimental development, etc. the facts remain however, no chassis using soldered cells or a pack has proven successful long term, at least in the states, as i know some european communities are more accepting of alternate chassis classes. the MRCG is about as close as it comes here in the states and it's still a baby in comparison to the mini-z platform. if it wants to be more than just a niche product, it must accept aaa cells. 10 years of 1/28 scale racing has proven this to be true.

for the record, i'm hoping this will change.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.10.28, 02:31 PM   #63
ChiMiniRc

Quote:
Originally Posted by arch2b View Post
i'm all for encouraging inventors and experimental development, etc. the facts remain however, no chassis using soldered cells or a pack has proven successful long term, at least in the states, as i know some european communities are more accepting of alternate chassis classes. the MRCG is about as close as it comes here in the states and it's still a baby in comparison to the mini-z platform. if it wants to be more than just a niche product, it must accept aaa cells. 10 years of 1/28 scale racing has proven this to be true.

for the record, i'm hoping this will change.
If it did accept AAA cells, would it still be allowed to be raced in the same class as other mini-z cars?

My guess would be no so I'm scratching my head as to why the need to support AAA. As far as my club, yes, AAA would be great as I already have a fleet of 200 batteries.
ChiMiniRc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.10.28, 02:53 PM   #64
arch2b

why, because few racing series support cell packs for 1/28. someone please jump in here to clarify but i believe you can run an aftermarket chassis in some series classes. most restrict the type of batteries used. these will not sell in great numbers if restricted to cell packs simply because the average mini-z owner will not have a dedicated charger and or power supply. i have a pro-z v6 and have had an mrcg and both were exciting to play with but were never really utilized because they required me to purchase and carry around various chargers. sounds lame but the average racer just pops nimh cells in and out of an affordable charger. i prefer simple and quick for a number of reasons and i consider myself part of the majority on this one.

broad support will require aaa cells. niche (small) open class support may do fine with out. lets hope this pattern changes though. another example, kyosho released the li-fe cells and charger and these have failed to take off here. our domestic market for 1/28 just doesn't support it at the moment plain and simple. if it did you would see the MRCG, Pro-Z and others at every event but you don't.
Old 2010.10.28, 03:34 PM   #65
ChiMiniRc

Quote:
why, because few racing series support cell packs for 1/28. someone please jump in here to clarify but i believe you can run an aftermarket chassis in some series classes. most restrict the type of batteries used. these will not sell in great numbers if restricted to cell packs simply because the average mini-z owner will not have a dedicated charger and or power supply. i have a pro-z v6 and have had an mrcg and both were exciting to play with but were never really utilized because they required me to purchase and carry around various chargers. sounds lame but the average racer just pops nimh cells in and out of an affordable charger. i prefer simple and quick for a number of reasons and i consider myself part of the majority on this one.

broad support will require aaa cells. niche (small) open class support may do fine with out. lets hope this pattern changes though. another example, kyosho released the li-fe cells and charger and these have failed to take off here. our domestic market for 1/28 just doesn't support it at the moment plain and simple. if it did you would see the MRCG, Pro-Z and others at every event but you don't.
Good insight. And I have to agree with the "pop in/pop out" concept and inexpensive charger. I feel it has to accomidate more than just a place for 4 aaa cells, it needs 4 aaa cell HOLDERS. So you can continue to use loose cells. Wiring up a pack of 4 to me is no different than using the included lithium batteries. Worse really because I need to spend time and buy materials to assemble one.

The only thing that has me hesitate is the Losi Micro SCT and Rally. They could have gone AAA powered but elected to provide a battery pack and inexpensive charger.
Old 2010.10.28, 04:23 PM   #66
will3kgt

I don't disagree with you at all Arch, but at
some point, race clubs will allow for other power sources, that's why Kyosho developed
their LiFe batteries (which work great by the way.) This car comes with a charger for the Li-Ion batteries so that's not an issue. All i'm saying is give this a chance out of the box. If you liked what you seen on the vids just wait until it gets on the RCP and has a nice set up. I too have raced
Mini-zs for 10 years, and Im quite impressed with this product.
Old 2010.10.28, 04:28 PM   #67
ChiMiniRc

Quote:
Originally Posted by will3kgt View Post
some point, race clubs will allow for other power sources, that's why Kyosho developed
their LiFe batteries (which work great by the way.) This car comes with a charger for the Li-Ion batteries so that's not an issue. All i'm saying is give this a chance out of the box. If you liked what you seen on the vids just wait until it gets on the RCP and has a nice set up. I too have raced
One of the main reasons I like it is the $150 RTR price point (their goal).
Right now, Kyosho doesn't even sell a RTR anymore. MR-03 requires an expensive transmitter and doesn't include batteries (walmart brand AAA's with charger are $20-$30)

When you figure you get bearings, battery, charger, 2.4ghz controller for $150. I think that would get more people into the scale. Oh yeah, it is AWD too

If additional lithium packs are $10 like a set of 4 AAAs, then I think they've got it.
Old 2010.10.28, 04:30 PM   #68
Action B
The Galliant Dude

HFAY series strictly bans lipo but even allows xmods and firelaps because they can be put on a level playing field as far as acceleration with a stock battery configuration MIni-Z.

My guess is that if this chassis wants the same chance to go mainstream it needs to have triple a battery holders standard like an xmod or Mini-Z

Concerned about sending off your precious Mini-Z? Don't be!

Last edited by Action B; 2010.10.28 at 04:40 PM.
Action B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.10.28, 04:34 PM   #69
ChiMiniRc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action B View Post
HFAY series strictly bans lipo but even allows xmods and firelaps because they can be put on a level playing field as far as acceleration with a stock battery configuration MIni-Z.
HFAY was something I was thinking about. For the most part, nearly every chassis with 4 AAA and a stock motor is pretty close. But I believe if we wire up this new chassis with 4 AAA batteries, it'll spank the mr-03.

That is why I'm thinking a 4 AAA chassis won't matter because most will still disallow the chassis from running in the classes we are use to.

If 4 AAA doesn't get it into existing classes, might as well go lithium.
Old 2010.10.28, 05:19 PM   #70
Action B
The Galliant Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiMiniRc View Post
HFAY was something I was thinking about. For the most part, nearly every chassis with 4 AAA and a stock motor is pretty close. But I believe if we wire up this new chassis with 4 AAA batteries, it'll spank the mr-03.

That is why I'm thinking a 4 AAA chassis won't matter because most will still disallow the chassis from running in the classes we are use to.

I strongly doubt that the MR-03 will be spanked easily. I DO respect your opinion but I think your underestimating the 03. Its light, precise, has tons of upgrades and of course has very little drive train loss.

HFAY is stock motor and is on RCP. This really favors RWD due to the plentiful grip and lack of substantial drivetrain loss and weight.

Even if the 03 was slower, I would strongly push to keep the new chassis as part of HFAY.

Concerned about sending off your precious Mini-Z? Don't be!
Action B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.10.28, 05:30 PM   #71
arch2b

Quote:
Originally Posted by will3kgt View Post
some point, race clubs will allow for other power sources, that's why Kyosho developed their LiFe batteries (which work great by the way.) This car comes with a charger for the Li-Ion batteries so that's not an issue. All i'm saying is give this a chance out of the box. If you liked what you seen on the vids just wait until it gets on the RCP and has a nice set up. I too have raced
i'm more than willing to give it a chance, my point being that despite kyosho's efforts to push alternate battery selections with li-fe, it's still not accepted here in the us outside of niche, small class racing. until that changes, this is where it will be stuck if only this option is available.

i'm all for pushing alternate battery selections for class racing, it's just not proven to be popular enough for anyone to support it. thats just the way it is right now.
Old 2010.10.28, 05:35 PM   #72
arch2b

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiMiniRc View Post

hfay is pretty accepting of chassis's. all that it requires it seems is that the chassis be of a mass marketed/manufactured type; ie, no limited, small production run aftermarket chassis. we can always petition brian to accept it however it's a bit to early to worry about given this is not even available at this point.
Old 2010.10.28, 05:43 PM   #73
will3kgt

Last time I checked, not every Mini-z owner races in
HFAY, and can use any power source they want. I
believe when a lot of people see the price & what it
comes with, they'll be amazed. Every RC product out
now uses LiPo, Lith-Ion, or LiFe why not a 1:28 scale car
that uses Lith-Ion right out of the box?! It's not like the
other alternative chassies where you have to sodder your own
batteries & rack your brain trying to set them up. This car will
come with everything you'll need to be competitive on any track.
Old 2010.10.28, 05:49 PM   #74
arch2b

you are absolutely right.

the fact that the kit comes with everything you need is a huge plus. this would make cost of ownership less expensive and cumbersome to the average owner.

just don't get to excited about using it sponsored series racing at this point. unfortunately, we just haven't caught up with asia and or europe in that respect at this scale.
Old 2010.10.28, 07:09 PM   #75
will3kgt

Quote:
i'm more than willing to give it a chance, my point being that despite kyosho's efforts to push alternate battery selections with li-fe, it's still not accepted here in the us outside of niche, small class racing. until that changes, this is where it will be stuck if only this option is available.

i'm all for pushing alternate battery selections for class racing, it's just not proven to be popular enough for anyone to support it. thats just the way it is right now.
That's good enough for me Arch. As long as your open
to an alternative power source. I wouldn't even push this
issue if I hadn't test drove this car myself. It's awesome!