Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2010.09.27, 09:58 PM   #1
chad508
PN Racing Team Driver

RR reverse kingpin

anyone else check out the reflex blog. they have a new reverse kingpin system that looks pretty interesting.
MBMZR
DG Designs
chad508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.09.28, 05:01 AM   #2
color01

"Interesting" in the sense that it's "right". This is the optimal configuration that 12th-scalers have had for years, just weird that Kyosho never gave it to us. Unfortunately there really is no space to lower your car with these springs, which means that the suspension geometry might not be able to be set to what you were using before. For example, I prefer slightly taller tires with lower ride height, so I would have 1mm of space for the spring coils, lol...

Good job again Reflex!

Greyscale RC

PN Racing | My TinyRC Blog

Last edited by color01; 2010.09.28 at 05:04 AM.
color01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.09.28, 08:40 AM   #3
JuniorWKR
White Knuckle Racing

wont putting shims on top of the knuckle adjust preload on the spring and ride height?

LIVE Mini-Z Racing Every Fri and Sat Nite 7pm - Dnano Racing Every Mon Nite 530pm - 1/16th - 1/18th Off Road Racing (times and days to be announced)
JuniorWKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.09.28, 09:08 AM   #4
JuniorWKR
White Knuckle Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorWKR View Post
wont putting shims on top of the knuckle adjust preload on the spring and ride height?
it will also add camber which may not be a bad thing also...

LIVE Mini-Z Racing Every Fri and Sat Nite 7pm - Dnano Racing Every Mon Nite 530pm - 1/16th - 1/18th Off Road Racing (times and days to be announced)
Old 2010.09.28, 10:36 AM   #5
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
I like this option

Shims on top of the knuckle wont lower the ride height. It will limit the suspension travel, and will increase camber and spring preload. Shims under the knuckle effect all four. Adjusting camber should be done with alternate methods if you only want to adjust the camber without effecting preload/travel.
Old 2010.09.28, 11:02 AM   #6
CristianTabush

Quote:
Originally Posted by color01 View Post
"Interesting" in the sense that it's "right". This is the optimal configuration that 12th-scalers have had for years, just weird that Kyosho never gave it to us. Unfortunately there really is no space to lower your car with these springs, which means that the suspension geometry might not be able to be set to what you were using before. For example, I prefer slightly taller tires with lower ride height, so I would have 1mm of space for the spring coils, lol...

Good job again Reflex!
Always so skeptical.

The front can be lowered quite a bit, just can be used with FULL size Kyosho front tires as it will be simply too tall. You can still use taller tires with a smaller wheel and achieve lower ride heights.

Also, a smaller diameter front tire is also superior under most track conditions (the only time you really want to run a tall tire is if the track has NO grip watsoever, even then I would go with a smaller tire, softer compound). It allows you to drop your front end ride height without dropping your front roll center. Low front roll centers on the MR-03 are the Devil. They cause the car to traction roll and lose too much corner speed.
http://www.reflexracing net
CristianTabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.09.28, 11:15 AM   #7
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
I almost always lower my front ride height with the front wheel/tire choice. There are many options on the market for 19mm wheels, and if you want to go lower than that, you can use the Mantis 18.2mm Group C wheels. If thats not enough, then Kyosho LM, Nascar or Classic wheels would be the smallest usable wheel. Having a smaller wheel also increases the responsiveness of the car, and one of the reasons that I prefer using them to lower the front end rather than shimming up the knuckle.
Old 2010.09.28, 02:12 PM   #8
color01

Quote:
Originally Posted by CristianTabush View Post
Always so skeptical.

The front can be lowered quite a bit, just can be used with FULL size Kyosho front tires as it will be simply too tall. You can still use taller tires with a smaller wheel and achieve lower ride heights.

Also, a smaller diameter front tire is also superior under most track conditions (the only time you really want to run a tall tire is if the track has NO grip watsoever, even then I would go with a smaller tire, softer compound). It allows you to drop your front end ride height without dropping your front roll center. Low front roll centers on the MR-03 are the Devil. They cause the car to traction roll and lose too much corner speed.
Huh? Sorry if I came across that way Cristian, but my intention was to state that this is THE best way to implement reverse-kingpin suspension, and I'm glad you guys found the springs to do so! I'm just worried that people who like to "slam" their cars aren't going to have suspension uptravel room (me being one of them). I'm already running 19mm wheels but I still lower my car by additional 1.2mm and raise the roll center accordingly.

Should I email you to add a set of the springs to my order? I have the PN reverse kingpins already.

Greyscale RC

PN Racing | My TinyRC Blog

Last edited by color01; 2010.09.28 at 02:21 PM.
color01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.09.28, 02:25 PM   #9
CristianTabush

The springs will not be available by themselves for now. The kingpin is different than the PN one. It does not have a flange. This allows you to play with King-pin positioning a bit and get extra ground clearance. The pivot balls are also recessed to allow for the spring to sit inside.
Old 2010.09.28, 02:36 PM   #10
JuniorWKR
White Knuckle Racing

the picture that is posted on the blog. What knuckles are those?

Old 2010.09.28, 02:39 PM   #11
CristianTabush

Those are our own knuckles. I am still playing around a bit for clearance but they are almost done.

And BTW, no worries Brian, just giving you a hard time
Old 2010.09.28, 02:44 PM   #12
JuniorWKR
White Knuckle Racing

is your knuckle considered a standard hieght or a low down? and will a low down version give you more options on ride height?

Old 2010.09.28, 03:53 PM   #13
Felix2010

CT - How does it work? On the track I mean? Is it the best suspension you've used, can it be adjusted enough to make it one of if not the most susperior MR03 front suspensions available? Thanks for the pics too, love checking out pics
Old 2010.09.28, 03:57 PM   #14
CristianTabush

The axles on our knuckles are raised a bit to provide lower ride height. Low down vs standard is relative. For example, with stock knuckles, I typically run a 0.5mm shim underneath the knuckle. With lowering knuckles, I do not run anything when I use 19mm front wheels.
Old 2010.09.28, 04:28 PM   #15
CristianTabush

Felix, I just see it as a different suspension.

They all work similarly and all have their advantages and disadvantages. Personally I like it, it makes the front super precise, because it reduces slop to almost non-existent levels.

The Pros and Cons are below:

Pros:
-Economical: The full set will cost probably about $13.00-14.00 comes with balls, king pin, e-clips (including extras) and a spring set.
-Light Weight: The King pin is small, light and so are the pillow balls and springs.
-Reduces slop over traditional and Reflex Xtra long King pin set-up.
-Really smooth. The benefits of a reverse kingpin is having less sliding parts. This usually means more front traction.
-Low maintenance: These parts make the wear of the front end much lower, even the knuckles. This keeps COST DOWN.
-VERSATILE: It can be run reverse style or with the spring at the top. It also works with Kyosho, Atomic or PN Lower arms.
-LOW PROFILE

Cons:
-Not as adjustable
-E Clips are sometimes tough for some people
-Limited ride height possibilities in Reverse Set Up. Basically, you are better off with worn-in or trued tires.
-Car is a little twitchier due to increased front suspension efficiency. You have to use thicker grease to tame the front end down vs the top spring set-up.
-Clearance of the bottom can get a little low if not spaced properly.