Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2009.03.29, 09:39 AM   #1
Action B
The Galliant Dude

Support your local internet-based store?

After years of trying to get Hobbytown to deal with kyosho for ordering Min-Z and related parts and being told that they will not deal with Kyosho, we have come to find that they are supporting the entire line up DNANO series. This is including an in store, store owned track and hop-ups. So I say, WTF? Support your local hobby shop? How about our local hobby shop doesn't support us.

Well, I guess I should'nt be too spiteful they do let us race in the back. However, I was wondering what you guys thought.. What exactly should we do in this situation. I really don't want to invest a ton of money into DNANOs. Although, doing so may spark the interest of other racers getting involved with Mini-Z racing, since hobbytown is now pusing an online point series for them.

Tell me what you think! Should we look around and try to convince another hobby shop to support us? Or should we give in and race these DNANOs when we really like Mini-Z? I'd accept any suggestions, really though, I think we may not have space anymore after this new track comes in they are leasing through kyosho.

Concerned about sending off your precious Mini-Z? Don't be!
Action B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.03.29, 07:51 PM   #2
Saman2014
Xmods Veteran (need a Z)

Send a message via AIM to Saman2014 Send a message via Yahoo to Saman2014
BULL ****! No way am I giving up xmods and Mini-Zs for some DNANO ****. Hobby town can learn on their own when no one comes in to use the DNANO stuff. I saw we boycott hobby town unless we keep the track for ourselves or they have a crowd of eager customers to use the DNANO's, then we will have to join them BUT! we cant give in!
Old 2009.03.29, 07:56 PM   #3
Saman2014
Xmods Veteran (need a Z)

uhhhh... actually, i just saw their youtube ad and the dNANOs look preeetttyy cool... actually... they had me at skyline gt-r...sorry guys but I think the dnanos will be a bit easier to upgrade since we dont have to go through online stores to buy parts like we did with xmods and miniz's. Seriously it would be REEEAAALLLYYY easier to just buy, install, then test in-store. We dont even have to go home, we could just race all night and if we want more hop-ups or a part goes bad we just buy them on the spot.
Old 2009.03.29, 08:10 PM   #4
Saman2014
Xmods Veteran (need a Z)

Just Imagine...

Imagine if these parts were available instore!!!

AND THEY WILL BE!!!!

Here
is the list of cars
Old 2009.03.29, 08:27 PM   #5
Saman2014
Xmods Veteran (need a Z)

and ummm brandon... we are going to need a nano pump
Old 2009.03.29, 09:37 PM   #6
Saman2014
Xmods Veteran (need a Z)

*posting spree*

*posting frenzy*

*postacular*

*un-friggen-believable*
Old 2009.03.30, 03:02 PM   #7
SoundWave2501

Send a message via ICQ to SoundWave2501 Send a message via AIM to SoundWave2501
First off, we are not ditching Hobby Town. In spite of the fact that there have been some hiccups with them, they have been pretty good to us. Never mind the fact that there are no other hobby shops with the resources or space to carry our track at mostly full capacity. Any time I have needed Kyosho specific parts, I have been able to order them from HT. I have chosen to order elsewhere due to price point anyway. I would pay the extra not to have to wait and have stuff on site. The DNanos have some interesting capabilities that Kyosho may port to the next mini-z generation of cars. It is apparent that Kyosho may have bought the Core system and that is what they are using in the DNano. Once I can afford it, I will most likely have one in the arsenal.

Secondly, if they do place the track where we race, which is unlikely given that the rock crawlers do their thing there as well, we will deal with it. RCP track is compatible with the new cars, RCP is making track that will fit with existing track formats. This could only be a good thing. We have ready access to Kyosho parts, I can deal with Brian and see about having a Mini-Z parts section, and above all we are to deal gracefully with the hopefully new influx of racers.

To turn the perspective inward, we are a small club. Even if we had every member at every practice and event Brian still wouldnt be able to turn a steady profit from our small numbers, he would have a ton of product potentially just sitting there. None of us is made of money at this point and the economy is hurting all the way around, the fact that they are even bringing an entirely new line into the shop and taking a chance on it is something we should be gratful for.

I am sure Nate will agree with me on this one. We stay at Hobby Town and take the good with the bad. Our only other option is his garage or living room, and i know for a fact it aint going to be his living room.
"I aint sayin I wouldnt go fishin with the man, but if I see him, Im puttin'im in the wall."
SoundWave2501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.03.30, 03:33 PM   #8
a7i20ci7y
Bull in a china shop

Send a message via AIM to a7i20ci7y
Okay, I agree that it's frustrating that MiniZs have been ignored in our shop and then out of nowhere the Dnanos show up. Part of this has to do with the distribution agreement that HTUSA corporate negotiated with Kyosho. It isn't just Sean, but Sean had the option to not carry them. Anyway. It's better to have them than not have them, IMO. We don't have Z parts, but we didn't have Z parts before either. So that's a wash.

To Dnano or not to Dnano, they are not mutually exclusive. You can do one, the other, both, or neither. This is a wash.

The track concerns me. Shortly after starting up we were told the back space was ours, we were the only ones using it. Next thing we know, the rock crawlers show up. Now it's a little crowded. Not to mention an order of magnitude dirtier as their rock structures spall all over the place.

In my estimation, between rock crawling (which isn't going anywhere, let's face it. It's a shop employee's pet hobby and they crawl after hours) and the Dnano track (which willl be a permanant fixture like the slot track, if they know what's good for them) I don't see enough space left over for an HFAY lay out.

This brings us to another point, what alternatives exist? As Mike said, I have a large living room, big enough? Not sure. For some lay outs yes, for others probably not. I have a big garage. Big enough? Prolly, but only if it's empty. Drive way is certainly big enough, but a minor incline and exposed to the elements. Debbie's RC world? Not bloody likely for many of the same reasons HTUSA doesn't have Z parts. Zs are toys to them, not competitive racers. We can look into several other options that may or may not be viable or affordable:

Church function space
Moose Lodges
Community Rec Centers
Any others?

So what do we do now? As long as there is space at HT, we race at HT. In the mean time, we prepare a contingency for the day we can't race at HT. Start looking now before we have to drop an HFAY month due to lack of venue. Otherwise, let's treat the presence of the Dnano as an opportunity to recruit more micro RC drivers.

Last edited by a7i20ci7y; 2009.03.30 at 03:35 PM.
a7i20ci7y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.03.31, 01:34 PM   #9
Action B
The Galliant Dude

Yeah, we are a small club. However, there is NO club for Dnano's. There will be a club for whatever they push for quite likely. I will get a DNano if i feel that the Zs will remain supported as well. perhaps a publically dedicated race day or night. They even have that for the Eflite blade MCX (thursday nights).

Old 2009.03.31, 07:16 PM   #10
Saman2014
Xmods Veteran (need a Z)

I think I will get a Dnano instead of a full Z cause they have more in store support and it is not a online based upgrades car. I can just do anything in-store like race on a track, install upgrades, or buy upgrades.
Old 2009.04.01, 05:17 AM   #11
Action B
The Galliant Dude

Well saman, I might get one no promises from me. I like to drive awd and the 1/28 scale is where I plan to stay focused for now. A switch for me would mean over 500 dollars to invest into it because I won't do it without maya. I enjoy the balance between small scale and tunability with the Z. Its unfortunate we won't see you running hfay with us in the near future.

Old 2009.04.01, 07:22 AM   #12
hrdrvr
MBMZR

B, Take this as an oppertunity to get in new Z folks. Since you are a small group, you dont stand to lose many members to dNaNo. The people Ive met from your group (Nate, Mike, Maya, yourself) arent going to abonden MiniZ just cause something else comes along. If anything you guys will get some free exposure for small scale high grade cars. Maybe the LHS will put a dNaNo booth up at NKon in your small scale RC section!?

People are using MiniZ as a gateway RC all the time. People get a MiniZ, then an MRS4, then TC, etc.. Now you can capitalize on the people who start one scale smaller Dont think Im knocking the dNaNo tech, because Im totally impressed by it, but when it comes down to it, the MiniZs are more tunable, more drivable, more detailed, and they have TONS of aftermarket parts support. MiniZ is the next logical step up for people who want to take it.

Also, if the store gets a customer base from dNaNo, then the customer base is interested in MiniZ, youll have a better shot at getting them to support you. Its hard for 3-5 people to convince a store to get/keep anything, but if youve got 10-15 (or more) folks running dNaNos who are spending money in there, and interested in MIniZs, you may have something.

Keep positive! Keep your head up, and be ready to jump on the oppertunity to show your cars, and driving off whenever you can. Also, be real careful not to steer people away from dNaNos (while steering them towards Zs), cause if they dont buy those from your LHS, your LHS wont be interested in moving forward!

LET's Go Racing!

Last edited by hrdrvr; 2009.04.01 at 07:25 AM.
hrdrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.01, 08:12 AM   #13
cosmicsoul
The Mad Mexican

Dnano's

My local HT is talking about getting a track as well. I think your owner is actually part owner of the HT here in Greensboro. I have a Dnano and they are actually very cool. Bearings and Giro are great upgrades. The x speed is to fast!!!!!!! The stock motor is plenty fast. I would like to try the diff not sure if it is necessary though. I made a disk dampner for mine and this seems to help more than anything. I have the Skyline and would not recomend it. I have modified mine to work better, as far as aero dynamics go I would recomend the Lemans bodies or enzo. The Skyline sits to high and traction rolls.

Well now I am just rambling, I am excited about the HT Dnano marriage. I think it will be great for the the Mini-z culture. As of yet Mini-z has seemed to be like an underground RC scene definately not mainstream. I only discovered them after searching months for 18nth scale racing in my area. Once people get a taste of organized racing they will be hooked. And making the transition to Mini-z will be a no brainer. I wouldn't think of Dnano's as an opponent or foe, rather as another class of Mini-z like stock, mod, and AWD. Just think of it as an RC networking opportunity or a gateway drug. Your permanent RCP Mini-z track facility could be one Dnano addicted person away!!!!!!!!!!

Jay
cosmicsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.01, 11:06 AM   #14
pedrocamp
Ain'tSoldEm

There is a HT about a half mile from my house, they have Dnanos and will have a track up in a week or so. I am actually quite excited about it. While I prefer the larger Zs it will be nice to race a little on those night I don't have the time to make the 35 minute drive to High Speed Hobbies. I really admire Jay for making the 1 1/2 hour or so trips he makes to race at HS, he's past the gateway drug and on the hard stuff!.
I figure if I take a Z once in a while to Hobbytown these new people who have gotten the racing bug might move up to the "larger" scale and come race with us at HS and eventually making treks to Myrtle Beach and the Nekocon. I think we, MiniZ guys, should embrace the Dnanos as something that might increase participation in Z racing.

Pedro
pedrocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.01, 11:19 AM   #15
mleemor60
Curmudgeon & Moderator

Isn't the HT plan to run rental fleets of Dnano's with an eye toward purchase? If so then we all can try them out at minimum expense until the decision is made to purchase. Anything that can steer a newcomer or even a retread into a reasonsbly priced segment of the hobby is a good thing.
mleemor60 is offline   Reply With Quote